Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #1

Vacuum actuated step

I have a 1989 Elite Coach that I'm fixing up. It has low miles and fortunately most everything works. But I'm having a real trouble with the automatic entry step. It is controlled by a switch in the door jamb that controls a vacuum valve. I tested the valve and switch and they check out. Seems to have decent vacuum at actuator as well, though I'm going to go over the vacuum line routing and check it all over to be sure it's tight. I suspect the actuator itself is bad. I can not for the life of me find that damn part. The labelling on it says: A&E Systems, Inc #1384. After exhaustive research it look suspiciously like an old Corvette headlight actuator.
Does anyone have experience with this? Id love to keep it as original as possible. I need a lead to that part.

Mike
Daddycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't have a clue. Just noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Having not seen the actuator my thoughts may be off base but it would seem that it would be a pretty simple device. Have you tried disconnecting it from the step and assure that the step moves freely? Also have you tried applying air directly to it to see if it moves properly.If the actuator itself doesn’t function I would think it could come apart to check the seals/o rings?
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

Charger man has some great points. Check operation of the steps with drive disconnected. Also check actuator with steps disconnected. Its probably a diaphragm or oring.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Are you sure it is vacuum-operated, all I have seen are operated with air pressure or an electric motor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That’s a good point. Mine is air pressure activated but I wasn’t sure of his vintage. Now that I think about it, it would take a lot of vacuum to activate it. Seems more probable to be pressure driven. Let us know what you find
Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #7

My step will work only when my main engine is running creating enough air pressure in my system ... this maybe how yours works.

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #8

It is definitely vacuum powered. Needs engine running to lift as stated. Have yet to disconnect mechanism, doing that tomorrow. I did check all vacuum lines to it and everything looks sound. Vacuum pressure is solid, though not measured. The vacuum actuator is a sealed unit, so not rebuildable. If diaphragm or internal seal is bad, well, that is the very definition of garbage.

I'll know more tomorrow night.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #9

My 1976 GMC had an aftermarket vacuum step. I worked nicely for the 30 years I owned it. The step had grease fittings that I kept well lubed. If your step moves easily with the linkage disconnected it should work ok with the vacuum unless the diaphragm has a leak in it.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you find the actuator to be bad maybe you’ll get lucky and it’s the same one used on the GMC’s
Old 08-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #11

No mine was after market. I do remember it was used on other production vehicles but I don’t remember what or where. It would be easy to trouble shoot though. Just connect to a vacuum source if it pulls in and holds the vacuum with a finger over the hose the diagram is good.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #12

It works!

Turns out there was a plugged filter on the other side of the actuator. The diaphragm couldn't move due to the vacuum resistance on the other side. Figured it out when I finally took the entire assembly apart and checked each item individually.
So, greased it up, new hose and clamps and I'm off to the races!

Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nice!!!