Indicates how much embedded talc and sand a vacuum lifted from a medium-pile carpet.
Carpet Bare floors
Shows how well a vacuum picked up sand without dispersing it on bare floors.
Bare floors Tool airflow
Indicates the strength of airflow through the hose.
Tool airflow Noise
Based on measurements in decibels.
A measurement of the quantity of wood-flour particles that a vacuum released under two conditions: first, when only the motor was turned on, and second, while vacuuming.
Reflects how easy it is to push, pull, and carry a vacuum.
Handling Pet hair
Reflects how well a vacuum picks up pet hair from medium-pile carpet.
Pet hair See Ratings for all models
Reviews & Recommended - Dyson DC39 Animal
Overall this is a good canister vacuum cleaner that does a fair job removing embedded dirt from carpets.
When cleaning surfaces such as kitchen and hardwood floors, this model is an excellent performer. It had impressive suction through the hose for cleaning with tools. And when it comes to noise, this model is quieter than many.
• Performs well when cleaning bare floors, ideal for kitchens, bathrooms, and hardwood floors
• Excels at capturing all the dust it picks up, important if you have allergies or other respiratory illnesses
• Strong tool airflow, which matters if you will be using the vacuum's accessories for cleaning
• Has suction control, which helps protect drapes when using tools
• Has a brush on/off switch, which safeguards bare floors and prevents scattering of dust and debris
• Has a retractable cord, which lets you rewind via a slight tug or a pushbutton
• Requires manually emptying the bin, which is messier and sometimes presents problems for those with allergies or other respiratory issues
• Lacks a manual carpet-height adjustment, which is better than automatic systems at matching the brush to the surface
Detailed test resultsCARPET CLEANING:
The Dyson DC39 Animal does a fair job of removing the embedded mixture of sand and powder from our soiled test carpets. This is a measure of how well a vacuum removes the dirt hidden deep in the carpet, invisible to the eye.
The Dyson does an excellent job of removing sand from our vinyl floor, leaving very little behind and not scattering sand across the floor.
This model does a fair job at picking up pet hair from carpets using its power head. The visual inspection of the test carpet following the pet hair test reveals traces of pet hair left behind and pet hair is caught in the brush roll.
This Dyson has a telescopic wand and a unique trigger on the handle to easily control suction. However, the power head is air driven, which leads to only fair performance when cleaning carpets. Mounting the wand in it's storage position, and reinserting the bin after empting is more tedious than most canister designs.
About - Dyson DC39 Animal
The Dyson DC39 Animal canister vacuum cleaner includes an upholstery tool, dusting brush, and crevice tool. It weighs 17 pounds and provides usability features such as a retractable cord, brush on/off switch, suction control, and a telescopic wand.
I was curious about the Dyson and this is the report from consumers reports.