Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vacuum Pump

On a diesel, I think the cruise control is run off the vac pump right? the door for the dash heater also...what else. My heater does not work while in motion but does when stopped, but the cruise works ok. Is the vacuum pump pressure readable in some way that I can do and what would that pressure-, be?
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #2

Diesel engines do not have a throttle, so no need for a vacuum actuator for cruise control. A cheap automotive vacuum guage tester will give you what you want. You might be able to borrow one from Auto Zone, Etc. if you don't want to spend the $$.
Most systems in a Gasoline engine system run at about 20 inches of vacuum, and i would GUESS about the same in others.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Have a 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter with Cummins ISL. Our vac pump is in the front generator compartment up on the firewall. Follow the vac lines from your HVAC control box back to to possibly an accumulator tank/ball and then back to your pump. Check hoses as even a small split in an old hose can mess things up. Take the hose off the fittings as you go (system running) and if the suction is enough to give you a "hickey" on your arm it is about right. My problem wound up being a weak pump. I was about 15 miles from Monaco in Oregon so I got the part there, mistake! I paid about $200 for a part that turned out to be a Ford part# and could be had on EBay for less than $100 including shipping. If its in the vac controls this will probably find the problems. A little time, a little info and I think you can do it! Good luck and post you findings please. We all want to learn.
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hey cjkroodsma - any memory on the ford part # or ebay info to try to find that little "box". I have a 2000 Windsor with the same problem... fitting inside box broken...Monaco wants over $200 for it. Ebay also sells them??

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
GOOGLE! Lots of discussion on this (iRV2) site. Also $59.95 on ebay with shipping included!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #6

Vac Pump

Have MH in storage with all info inside,sorry! Should be fairly easy to remove the old part (2-3 screws). Disconnnect the two wire power connector and the vac line. EBay or NAPA should have the part. Mine was a Ford # . If you have a couple of tools, some time and a little ambition I know you can do it. Mine was still working but did not develop enough suction, as I said a good "hickey" is about right. Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Easy to remove if you are Hudini.I can see mine but touching it or working on it is a different story.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #8

Your time/Your money

You can always pay a RV tech $100/hr. and $200+ for the part, plus your time back and forth to the shop. Usually if you hold your tongue properly and say the proper magical words you can get it. Go to EBay auction # 230586927006 and DIY for $65. Entirely your call.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the number.... found it on EBay for $59.95!!!! Yeah!!!!

Again, thanks for the followup!