Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
Here is my take on this, there is a term called "LOT ROT" This is used when a rv has sat a lot unused. You are comparing mileage between a car and a motorhome. This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Would you buy a house that had sat for that long and be comfortable sitting on the sofa or drinking the water? We almost passed on our coach because the mileage was too low! We bought from friends in one of our clubs and are still friends! I would be very cautious with one that sat unused.

American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree. This rig is worth no more or less than one with higher miles. There are some pluses with low mileage rigs, but also some negatives, so it's a wash.

Whether the NADA value is appropriate for this rig or not depends on the overall condition, just like any other. Private sales rarely fetch full NADA value anyway - the buyer is assuming all the risk, so the price is usually somewhat less.

If he got the NADA value from the online guide, it is suspect anyway cause it represents average depreciation rather than market pricing.

In any case, stop worrying about NADA numbers and consider the value you would receive for your money. If its less than what he is asking, make a lower offer. He probably won't accept right away, though.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I sold my FW in 2008, with the intention of selling home and retiring. The economy took a downturn and I have not been able to get on the road RVing and it is getting to where I need to scratch the rving itch.
I will be going to see this unit sometime in the next few weeks and I will let you know what happened. Once again thanks.
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
Do some online searches for similar units to discover asking and selling price.

Print out both...If selling is what you wish to spend then you could show real data...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dp's like to run! Sitting around, not so good!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I never viewed a diesel that sat for long periods of non use as a positive.
I agree. You didn't mention tires. If they are original, they are toast and that alone is about $4,000 for 6. Coaches are meant to be used, otherwise they "atrophy" and rubber hoses, connections, rubber boots, slide boots, all deteriorate from lack of use/care. These conditions can lead to leaks, critter portholes, and system failures.

You might refer them to this thread where they can see our comments. I don't know you and you don't know us, but it is a fact that "low mileage" older coaches are no prize. Fixable, but no diamond in the rough.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #21
Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I recently went to look at a coach and discovered it hadn't been licensed for 5 years. I didn't even go inside when I saw the license plate. I have no interest in a coach that's been sitting for that long.
2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38' Class A, Spartan chasis, MM-2242, Cummins 330 pulling a 2014 Ford Focus.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 AM   #22
We bought a 2002'HR Endeavor gas 36' about 8 months ago. 14,000 miles. Looks good, runs good. Everything works as it should. Had a couple of small problems that had nothing to do with it sitting up. We did have to replace the tires due to age. The PO reportedly ex decided the engine and generator every couple of weeks while in storage.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
We bought a unit that had sat for 3 years. I also paid about 30% off the going rate. It was nearly a year working out the various random bugs. If you have the skills and the time to work through the uncertainty then you can save some serious coin. 50% of the market is where to start for a long setting unit.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
I agree with the above poster. Do you have the skills to de bug the coach because their will be bugs. I just sold a coach half way between high and low nada with new tires up to date service always stored inside and low miles. Study RVT and RVTRADER for a while to see what is selling. Their is the asking price and the selling price which is usually quite different. Good luck with the hunt.
2014 Volvo 630 Heren Bed ET Hitch
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #25
Low miles on a Diesel is not always a + lots to go wrong with just about everything from sitting, mainly seals drying up, Engine, Trany, Wheels, A/C, blah, blah, blah, and they will get you at the worst time!
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #26
I've recently walked away from two Newmars (95 London Aire & 01 Mountain Aire) because they had been sitting for 4 years and 3 years respectively. DOT dated on tires showed that they would need ordinary replacement within a year and one unit was a consignment and had no service records. Even after pointing this out, neither seller was willing to budge from their NADA high value price. Yes, they could get a sucker to pay what they are asking, but the coaches are going to sit even more & depreciate all the faster.
EMDF9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #27
3 years ago bought a gasser with 13,000 miles well below blue book. Spent about $3500 - tires/batteries.

Worked out a few bugs and have had 9,000 uneventful miles.

It is for sale.

Bought a 2003 DP with 21,000 miles. Previous owner drove it once a month 20 miles when not making short trips to the lake. He put on new tires 2 years ago - changed the fluids - replaced one marginal roof AC. Bought below average retail.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 34W
2000 Thor Hurricane 29D Motor Home
2011 Lance 1050S Truck Camper
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote