Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Value of a unit with low miles that has been parked for a long time

I have found a 2001 diesel pusher that has been parked for a long time, it has about 12000 miles on the odometer, the person selling it wants the nada book value for the unit, but my argument is that while the miles are low, that unit will have to be made roadworthy and that involves, changing all fluids, tires, batteries, hydraulic fluids, generator fluids, re-working all slides, making sure plumbing, gas lines etc. are ok. And therefore you cannot put value as per nada value, since that value should be for a unit that may need some cosmetic work but it is operational at purchase time. Can I get some input from all that are experienced in this kind of purchase?
Thanks
Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

You are correct, they are in la la land but it will take a year of them trying to sell it for that to sink in. I'd look elsewhere. That is a pig in a poke. YMMV

Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

The only real question is - Are you willing to pay what he wants? Or is he willing to sell for what you're willing to pay?

I've found no value in trying to persuade some one what a unit is worth.

JMHO
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #4

No one is getting blue book value. Tough pill to swallow for sellers. I just bought a 2000 Allegro Bus for $13000 under book. Sounds great but also had to spend 3800 to get tires up to date and will be doing all fluids. Mileage should not be considered with a diesel unless you're comparing a MH with 10000 miles and one with 400000. Maybe a bit of extreme but these are not gas engines.

Ask the seller what he's been offered in trade or what he's been advised to sell on a consignment lot. Or go to PPL motors site and see how much similar rigs have sold for in last couple years: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/d...otor-homes.htm

OR, buy mine for book value all fixed up and ready to go. we just drove it from Panama City to Flagstaff AZ in 3 days....it's good to go.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If its what you want make a fair offer and see if he takes it. I once purchased a diesel with 18000 miles that was 12 years old and sat for several years before I bought it. It was fine and other than tires the only thing I did was change all the fluids. Personally, I don't think someone should discount what they sell just because the didn't use it much.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #6

Our MH had been parked in a barn for 8 years until we purchased it through consignment to Camping World. We negotiated a fair price (in our opinion), and purchased an extended service contract, just-in-case. The chassis and running gear have been trouble-free, things like powered rear-view mirrors, dump valves, etc, have been replaced by the extended service contract. Appliances still operate as designed.
Yes we have a 15 yr old MH, but the interior still appears excellent, taxes and plates are much less than a new MH. In fact, that is a popular move with Bluebird fans, buy an old MH, take it to the factory for refurbishement, and they have a new interior plus perhaps new paint, on a solid reliable chassis without the pricetag of a new Bluebird.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #7

Hi
Its hard to give any real advise without more details. I would say generally low miles is a good thing and even though it has been parked its more important where and what kind of environment its been parked in. I would say your correct that everything needs to work and I would think you would not proceed unless you witnessed everything working smoothly and correctly. Rubber items seem to take more of a beating just sitting and the tire dates would have to be acceptable. As far as price when we bought our last coach 1 1/2 ago it was considerably below book but the seller was motivated to sell. My advise would be to not get to hung up on nada but use the number you would like to pay and feel is fair based on your shopping for rigs. The price I paid for mine was fine and im happy. As far as sitting around I bought a couple of trucks from the factory a few years ago and they had been sitting for 10 years. They kind of got lost in inventory so they offered them to me buy two get one free. I was skeptical they would have problems but it was fine and there still on the road. We didn't even change the tires.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #8

I would be pretty skeptical of a coach that's been sitting for quite awhile. Your correct in assuming all things that YOU'LL have to take care of. And that won't be cheap. I'd also be concerned with the amount of time that diesel fuel has been just sitting. If it ends up with an algae problem, well that could be a nightmare. If the seller wouldn't be ready to remedy any concerns I might have....I'd walk away. Too many other great deals out there to take on a money pit. On edit, I notice by your profile that your in Georgia. Sitting for a long time in that Georgia humidity would make me doubly hesitant.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Our coach ran 8800 miles in 8 years. The 800 mile trip to the dealer's lot got rid of old fuel, so we had all fluids/filters changed and fixed the things that weren't working perfectly. 6000 miles in a year and sold it to get a larger MH.

I'd do it again with a low-miles coach. OTOH, two of the coaches I'm looking at have over 100,000 miles, so my way of thinking says to look at R&M history over miles driven.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #10

There are two values on the NADA, high retail and low retail. Your seller is obviously only talking about high retail. So take the high retail, subtract for a new set of tires, new batteries, all fluids changed, service everything; engine, roof, fridge, heater, water heater, new microwave, stove service, tanks totally flushed and cleaned, ACs checked and serviced, awnings cleaned and checked, etc., etc. This can all add up to thousands of dollars. Age is a big factor as even without use the life span of many components is limited. At ten years or so a lot of stuff is going to start breaking down.

Despite the fact that new RVs are selling like mad, it is a bad market for used ones. Make what you think is a reasonable offer and tell him to call you if he doesn't sell it and maybe you'll still be in the market. There is a sucker born everyday but maybe he won't find him. Don't be in any rush, there are lots of these out there.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If he is going to ask top dollar then it should be in top condition with up to date records. Deduct the cost of bringing it up to date, make cash offer, and be willing to walk away.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never viewed a diesel that sat for long periods of non use as a positive.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
I have found a 2001 diesel pusher that has been parked for a long time, it has about 12000 miles on the odometer, the person selling it wants the nada book value for the unit, but my argument is that while the miles are low, that unit will have to be made roadworthy and that involves, changing all fluids, tires, batteries, hydraulic fluids, generator fluids, re-working all slides, making sure plumbing, gas lines etc. are ok. And therefore you cannot put value as per nada value, since that value should be for a unit that may need some cosmetic work but it is operational at purchase time. Can I get some input from all that are experienced in this kind of purchase?
Thanks
Tony
Your seller can forget the NADA book. This MH is worth what you are willing to pay and he/she is willing accept. It's not worth one more dime than that.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

In the past few purchases I have made,car,motorcycle,motorhome whatever the case I just decide what price I am willing to pay and leave them my contact info.

GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote