Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
I also have braided extenders secured with chrome brackets on the lug nuts for both sets of rear tires. I have never had a problem and the brackets are much better than the wire holders in the wheel cover opening that I had on my previous rig and were not very secure and moved around a lot.

mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #16

I had issues with the extensions leaking so I purchased the one piece extensions and no more problems. You can see them at:

Dually Valves - Inner Dually Stems

They are really well made and come with a insert that goes in the wheels that stops the extender from vibrating while you travel. My old extension was vibrating so much it was wearing out an area of the wheel.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #17

I also did the one piece extension with the rubber stabilizer.
Attached Images

69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #18

I've had problems with extenders both times removing the extenders made my slow leak go away. in fact the last set of tires I put on the rig the tire dealer refused to put them on. I use good metal caps wrench tight and never loose air. checking pressure is not that hard if you get a good truck gauge.
John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
After six years the braided extenders on our coach started leaking, unfortunately it was a few months after I had the tires rotated and could have had longer valve stems installed. I ended up replacing them with a combo of brass extenders, one bent and one straight. They have been trouble free since.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #20

Valve stem extenders

I have had braided extenders on 4 rigs over 24 years, properly installed and never a leak. Lefty loosie, righty tightie.
Just my view from the saddle

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 AM   #21
CORONADO 1993

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wheel master valve stem extender update.

I posted earlier I had a problem with one of the extenders leaking.After a call to Wheel masters I got to the bottom of the problem.The extenders have a jam nut that allows the length of the inner plunger on the stem to be adjusted.My problem was the stem was adjusted to make contact with the tire stem before it was even tightened.I unscrewed the inner threads of the extender out to the point of no contact being made once tightened. I adjusted the threads to make contact only when the plunger was pushed to the depth that I could get a good reading with a tire gauge.I adjusted the jam nut to the proper depth then unscrewed the whole assembly and applied some loctite then tightened to the set point.Mounted it snugly to the bracket and then to the wheel.So far so good.It actually is a good design just a bit different.One of the best parts is that there is no air in the extender till the plunger is pushed. Any mishap that could occur with the hose won't result in air loss.I will be on top of the tire pressure and make an update.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #22

After trying all of the above mentioned, I prefer the Cats eye tire pressure system.

It ties the two wheels together equalizing the air pressure, and can give you a visual indication of a problem.

It will not let a leaking tire bring down the other tire, and one valve stem airs up both tires at the same time saving lots of time.

I can't show you a picture of the system but there are kits for sale now on E-bay.

CATS EYE TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I had issues with the extensions leaking so I purchased the one piece extensions and no more problems. You can see them at:

They are really well made and come with a insert that goes in the wheels that stops the extender from vibrating while you travel. My old extension was vibrating so much it was wearing out an area of the wheel.
I go with these too. The braided extensions will leak... just a matter of when and where- usually it's not at a time or place that is convenient , and if you don't notice or don't have a TPMS, out goes your tire and maybe it takes along some body work and causes other damage.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #24

Carolina Campers
Ours didn't leak but gave a false reading on tire pressure. We thought our inside dually had no air. The shop took it off, took the extender off and then checked the pressure (all of that while we were standing and watching) and it read properly.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #25

I can only tell you my experience.... had the Endeavor about 3 months when on a trip I stopped at a rest stop and dutifully whacked all the tires. The inner rear drivers side was flat; I never felt a thing. Hobbled over to a close-by Les Schwab. The tech took one look and before he even pulled the tire said that the braided extensions were probably the problem. sure enough, he pulled the tire and spayed with soap and there was the leak. $700+ to replace a nearly new Michelin we got back on the road; no extensions. I soon purchased TPMS, cheap insurance!
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Longer, one piece stems for us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post

X2 on the Dually Valve Stems.......I purchased them 2 years ago and have had no problems at all!

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 03-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
X2 on the Dually Valve Stems.......I purchased them 2 years ago and have had no problems at all!

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

Ditto
Rig 1, 8 years
Rig 2, 11 years
Rig 3, 2 years
Rig 4, 3 years
24 years with good extenders, ZERO PROBLEMS.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote