Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Valve stem extenders

Who uses extenders on their inside rear tires. In the past I have had problems with them leaking, so had longer stems installed . What are your thoughts?

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Who uses extenders on their inside rear tires. In the past I have had problems with them leaking, so had longer stems installed . What are your thoughts?
Braided SS extenders came with new tires when we bought our MH three years ago. They still do not leak after 18,000 miles, but can be a little touchy when checking air pressure. I like them so far, but am concerned about eventually leaking. I did install holders that prevent them from flopping around in the outer tire rim.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:13 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I have extenders on my MH and they work well. So far no leaks but the clips that hold them to the rim are broken or missing. Where did you find new ones? I have looked and haven't been able to find just the clips.
Applepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have braided extenders from the factory that are supported as they go through the outer wheel by rubber fittings that snuggly fit in one of the holes in the wheel and the extender goes through the middle. Have not had any problems.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
CORONADO 1993

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Installing valve extenders

I bought a pair of wheel masters valve extenders and started putting them on yesterday.On one of them the valve seat would not seal. No matter how I tried every time I got it screwed down to the point that made contact with the inner wheel valve stem it began blowing air out of the hose.I tried it on the other tires with the same result.I tried to get the valve to seat by poking it in and out but still no luck.I wrote the place I bought them from and am waiting for a reply.I bought them from rvupgrades online.They have quite a selection on different thing.I was here looking for a forum on proper tire inflation,still looking.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dicor braided SS on all four rears. Going into sixth year problem free.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applepicker View Post
I have extenders on my MH and they work well. So far no leaks but the clips that hold them to the rim are broken or missing. Where did you find new ones? I have looked and haven't been able to find just the clips.
I found them at a little rv store somewhere out west. They are similar to these:

Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the straight steel extenders and they worked great for about 4 years, then the "O" Ring wore and they now leak. I'm still up in the air if to get another set or the braided ones.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

Flex steel extender on mine.

The set that came with it were over 10 years old, so I replaced them.

I have L brackets, nut and bolted with small machine screws, to the wheel covers, across from each other, that the Schrader valve end goes thru, with a thin nut holding them. To remove the wheel cover, I remove the thin nut.

They don't move, so are easy to air up. I check air every 3 months and have added air once since new tires last year.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #10

I just had tires installed and the shop said DONT put them on, I know a lot of you have said no issues but they said eventually they will leak. I opted to have them install long valve stems on the inside duals and run them through to outside with a grommet to hold it in place. Looks great and also very reliable. I don't want to have to worry about having an inside tire going low and having a blowout just my 2cents
Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our previous coach had the braided SS extenders on the rear and had no problems in 5 years of use. Current coach has solid metal extensions for extra length on the inner dual, plus I had the valve position reversed on the outer dual so that no "180 degree" extension is needed to get at it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #12

Had them installed on our previous coaches by Les Schwab and had zero problems with them. Seems about $100 installed if I remember. Don't have them on my current rig but will remedy that shortly.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
RVM1

I added good truck shop flexible valve extensions of proper length on each of my 4 MHs when I bought them. They do not get in the way of the tires or rims, and have never come loose from the valve stems.
They never leaked.
I dont recall the maker and they are not labeled. But they were not cheap, neigborhood of $50+ per pair. Top shelf stuff at a truck shop that truckers there reccomended.
The braiding is tight on the hose, and there is a neoprene gasket where it screws on to the valve stem. When tightened, you gotta work to get them loose! The braiding touches nothing if they are the proper length and set in place carefully.
I double check them after new tires are mounted.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:33 AM   #14

I had My flexible extenders replaced a few months ago. After the replacement, they started losing about 10 pounds per day. Not a good thing. Last week I took my MH to a real tire shop, Tire Centers ,the first thing they said was extenders are junk. Of course I already knew that. Had them replace all the tire stems with one piece stems, a tire rotation as I was having abnormal wear on the front tires, front end alignment. Total price was $569.00 . Might seem a little high, but my front tires have the Tyron bands on them, added 70 to the price for labor. So far so good. I think I will still use an extender when I fill the outer rear tires, I haven't gotten the trick down for getting a good seal with the Chuck, but will remove it when I'm done.