Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
I just recently found out why the stabilizers are important, before I even knew they existed. When checking my tire pressures, one rear inner dually stubbornly refused to register on my tire gauge -- every time I pressed the gauge onto the stem, it would just hiss at me, and read zero. The same thing happened when I tried to fill it. Before making an appintment at my truck tire dealer, I looked closely, and realized that the stabilizer had slipped inside the hole, allowing the metal valve stem extension to rub against the outer edge of the hole (due to centrifugal force) until it wore a hole in the extension. Fortunately, the tire wouldn't have leaked, because the extension only becomes "active" when the center thingy is depressed.

I found a matching extension online (and bought two, just in case) -- problem solved, for less than 10 bucks. Lesson -- check the stabilizers once in awhile, or better yet, every time you check your tire pressures.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
With many new coaches, that come with 22.5 polished wheels, they include the rubber stabilizer. Some are round and some are triangular shaped. I hate to say it, but everyone using valve extensions, should toss them and go with the correct length valve stems. Those rubber inserts, that come on the motor homes, were designed for valve stems of the correct length.

For years, my Monaco had the flexible extensions (seen in a previous post above) that bolted to the center cap. I hated those extensions. In my opinion, they look ugly, get dirty easily and make it hard to polish the wheels. I removed them, installed the "correct" length valve stem and the rubber support.

The correct length stems makes for a cleaner installation, fewer leaks and a much easier installation of TPMS units.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #31

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Talk to Bill (DuallyValve) 800-300-2674 X101. They have rubber inserts to stabilize the valve stems.
I'm pretty sure this is where I got mine. The website didn't show my application, but they had an older cross reference list that popped up during my searches...as it turns out, I had to use the kit for a Dodge dually to fit my Ford chassis...go figure.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
Even though these say they are for 22.5 wheels I believe they will fit my 19.5. My holes are oval at 3 7.8 X 3, so pretty darn close.

I was dealing with Alcoa and once they found out I had Accuride rims he pretty much said they were his competitor and he couldn't help me.

At this point I would really prefer the rigid valve stems with rubber stabilizers VS flexible with stabilizers that fasten to the rim. Like Dutch Star Don was saying, the rubber ones make a lot more sense to me. Not saying the flexible ones won't work because they obviously do, I ust like the rigid connection a little better.

Thanks for all the help.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
With many new coaches, that come with 22.5 polished wheels, they include the rubber stabilizer. Some are round and some are triangular shaped. I hate to say it, but everyone using valve extensions, should toss them and go with the correct length valve stems. Those rubber inserts, that come on the motor homes, were designed for valve stems of the correct length.

For years, my Monaco had the flexible extensions (seen in a previous post above) that bolted to the center cap. I hated those extensions. In my opinion, they look ugly, get dirty easily and make it hard to polish the wheels. I removed them, installed the "correct" length valve stem and the rubber support.

The correct length stems makes for a cleaner installation, fewer leaks and a much easier installation of TPMS units.
Outstanding answer Don. Very well put.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Even though these say they are for 22.5 wheels I believe they will fit my 19.5. My holes are oval at 3 7.8 X 3, so pretty darn close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post

So I ended up ordering these with 4” extensions and they came in yesterday. I probably could have gotten away with 3". The rubber stabilizers were designed for 22.5” wheels and I installed them on 19.5 wheels. They were a little difficult to get in the holes, but with some persistence I got them installed. I’m very happy with them and it will be so much easier to install the TPMS sensors now
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 AM   #35

Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve stem small.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	114476  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
I just recently found out why the stabilizers are important, before I even knew they existed. When checking my tire pressures, one rear inner dually stubbornly refused to register on my tire gauge -- every time I pressed the gauge onto the stem, it would just hiss at me, and read zero. The same thing happened when I tried to fill it. Before making an appintment at my truck tire dealer, I looked closely, and realized that the stabilizer had slipped inside the hole, allowing the metal valve stem extension to rub against the outer edge of the hole (due to centrifugal force) until it wore a hole in the extension. Fortunately, the tire wouldn't have leaked, because the extension only becomes "active" when the center thingy is depressed.

I found a matching extension online (and bought two, just in case) -- problem solved, for less than 10 bucks. Lesson -- check the stabilizers once in awhile, or better yet, every time you check your tire pressures.
I have the woven wire extenders on my coach. The ends are mounted to the hub cover. On both this coach and my last one, I found that the extenders were wearing where the inner tire extender came through the outer wheel. I solved the problem by taking a piece of tygon tube, splitting it and putting it around the extender where it contacted the wheel. I secured them with tie wraps.

Dick L '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote