Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #1

Valve stems

So I was putting around on our new-to-us Winebago Sightseer the other day and decided to check the air pressure in the tires. Front tires-OK. Outside rears-OK. Wait a minute...where are the stems on the inner tires? Finally after crawling around for a while I found that they are on the inside of the inside tires.
Is this common? Is it unsafe? At the very least it's a huge PIA. What is involved is changing them? Cost?
rwp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

Valve stems

I was tinkering around recently on our new-to-us Sightseer 30A. I decided to check the air pressure in the tires. Front tires-no problem. Rear outer tires-no problem. Rear inside tires-Whoa! Where are the darn valve stems? After crawling around a bit I found them...they are on the inside of the inside tires.
My questions are:
Is this common?
Is this safe?
How important is it to change them?
Cost?
At the very least this will be a PIA.
rwp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
KIX

IMHO checking your tire pressure is important. If it's a PIA it will become less important until you belatedly realize you should have checked anyway. So, my best guess is that it will probably cost you about $25 a wheel at a truck stop or big tire store.......may even try a mobile guy. Then plus the new valve stem to extend the cap into the outer wheel at 180 degrees frim outer wheek stem. BTW, use solid metal stems and not the flexible braided ones.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

Ford does not supply valve stem extensions on the F53 chassis inner dual tires and I am not aware of any motor home manufacturers that install them either. I believe the Sightseer 30A is built on a 22K chassis which will have the 22.5" aluminum wheels. Adding a valve extension that protrudes through the hole in the outer aluminum wheel is easy enough, the problem is adding an extension stabilizer that keeps the extension in a fixed position in the hole. I believe the hole size in the aluminum wheel that Ford specs is not a size that most valve extension suppliers carry a rubber stabilizer plug for. You can check with some of your local tire shops. You might get lucky.
Profleetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #5

I found them...they are on the inside of the inside tires.
My questions are:
Is this common?
NO
Is this safe? NO
How important is it to change them? VERY IMPORTANT
Cost? CHEAP COMPARED TO CONSEQUENCES
At the very least this will be a PIA. SO IS AN ACCIDENT OR COACH DAMAGE FROM TIRE FAILURE

Yes I am shouting because it is important to operate with all tires at correct air pressure. The consequences of not doing so can be large. It is a shame that the previous owner put you in this situation. The good news is you know the problem and how to fix it.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 AM   #6

Not common, at all. Not unsafe except for, they would not get checked as often as they should. Would require replacing the rims , with ones with the stem hole in the proper orientation .
Is your coach on a Workhorse chassis?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

Keep in mind the metal valve stems can be rotated allowing the open end to face in any direction. The ones on the inner duals of our 2013 Adventurer were facing outward, but not where I could reach them with a tire gauge. I had to slightly loosen the nut and rotate them so they faced the center of the hole in the outer wheel.

Even then I couldn't get a tire gauge or inflator on them properly because of the smaller hole in the outer aluminum wheel. Rather than add valve stem extensions or change out the stems themselves I modified my Milton 506 inflator gauge to reach through the outer wheel and fit the inner valve stem.

Milton Window Inflator Gage, Dual Head, Model# S-506 | Air Chucks Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

Milton also makes a 516 inflator gauge. In our case I needed the forward facing angled foot of the 506 to make contact with the inner valve stem.

Milton Window Inflator Air Gauge — Dual-Head Straight Chuck, 1/4in. Inlet, Model# S-516 | Air Chucks Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment

I replaced the 6" brass tube between the foot and flexible hose with a 12" piece of 5/16" brake line and a couple adaptors to fit the 1/8" pipe threads. Then I made a slight S bend in the tube to allow it to fit through the wheel and seal against the inner wheel valve stem.

I could have added valve stem extensions or gone the dually route, but it only took about 1/2 an hour to make the modification to the inflator. I don't have to deal with extensions or find a way to support them or the dually stems. Also I have a compressor at home and one in the motorhome so I keep the modified inflator with the motorhome.

As a side note your rear inner duals should be identical to the fronts if you have steel wheels. If you have aluminum outer duals and front wheels the valve stems on the inner duals should be facing the same direction as the ones on your front tires. I'll bet someone at the dealership rotated the rear inner dual valve stems to a position where they could reach them rather than add extensions or modify their gauge.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
It's a simple fix, I had the same problem, check out these guys, GREAT products! Products — always shiny wheels and rv
twn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weekend trip tp Savannah GA, pulled in to get a bite to eat and noticed my psgr rear outside tire low, when I looked closer, the supplemental had come loose. The braided extension had pulled the needle valve out of the stem completely. After 2 hours we finally got back on the road, luckily no damage to brand new michelin, less than 500 miles on the set. RV is back at tire store, removing the braided extenders and installing new steel valve stems....I checked the tires before we left, lucky there was no more damage than that. Being a newbie, we seem to be learning everything the hard way.
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Fix the problem! ASAP if not sooner!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote