Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #29

I tried several options and decided that a double hitch on the Rv was the way to go for most of my bikes. I carry five bikes, but four of them go on a Kuat NV rack that grabs the wheels. I also have them covered, so they stay clean and out of site. When I started full timing, I had the rack on the Jeep, but it got old taking the bikes and the rack off the jeep when I didn't want it hitched up. I prefer the racks that grab the wheels. That way I can take any bike off the rack without unloading any of them.

JJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Can't you take the front wheels off and put them into the Jeep? We put ours in one of the storage bays, but I am thinking about keeping them in our toad (a Honda Element). I also have a rack and may put them in back of the Element, but I have plenty of space in the coach bays at the moment.
We put the rear seats up in our Element and just wheel the 2 bikes right in. There's plenty of room for them and other things we want to have handy along the way

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Looks looks I am seeing a double receiver, and on that the rack for the bikes on the upper and an extension on the lower. And a toad town at on the extension. Correct?
correct- that is how it is set up. really easy to get the bikes on and off the rack.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding covers, we don't, but I've read that covers designed for home style barbeque grills are about the right size and work pretty well? And, we do use a tie strap from our hitch mounted bike rack to the spare tire to keep the bikes from moving around much on the back of the CRV.

Regarding theft, I'm not sure I would subject a real nice bike to some of the abuse a bike takes spending a lot of time on a bike rack and being stored outdoors? From that perspective, a thief will have his choice of many, many bikes in any place we frequent often. He wouldn't need any tools to ride off on many of them. I feel the cable on ours keeps them "secure enough", to make most thieves not give us a second look.

Last, oil your chains well prior to your trip to prevent rust! If you don't, they WILL, in very short order!
yes mine is a generic 60" bbq cover that costs about $25. Has a couple eyelets. I do have expensive mountain bikes and they tend to get very dirty so there is no way Im putting them in the coach. I also lock & cover them during transport. THe cover lock would need to be cut before the thief would find another cable lock securing the bikes to the carrier. Also the rack I use requires a deep well socket to remove.

I do have a folding bike that stows under my bed for vehicular emergencies. THough its 20" wheels are not very pleasurable to ride very long distances. The rack on it will carry a case of bottled beer & a 20lb bag of ice.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I have also recently see people carrying bikes on a carrier attached to the ladder. Has anyone done this?
Just stumbled onto this when looking at this site & remembered your post. This is what you were thinking about?

RV Furniture Seats Custom Motorhome Accessories Reclining
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post

Just stumbled onto this when looking at this site & remembered your post. This is what you were thinking about?

RV Furniture Seats Custom Motorhome Accessories Reclining
That looks just about right. Although bikes do weigh much less than a person , does anyone have any thoughts whether this might damage/weaken the ladder?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
One option not mentioned yet....get two folding bikes with bags, and you can put them in the motorhome, in the jeep, or possibly in a storage bay. We have two Dahon Boardwalk bikes that are great for casual bike riding. If you need more specialized bikes, Dahon makes several different types of folding bikes.
X2!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Double receiver on the rear of the motorhome is the best option. I have been using one for over 5 years. Several reasons which offer flexibility. Since you are towing 4 down, you do not have any tongue weight - so you don't have to worry about the moment on the hitch. The double receiver actually makes towing the vehicle or my trailer easier I have found - the 2 ft extension helps. The receiver based bike rack easily goes on any receiver - the Jeep, the MH, or your truck at home - so it is a good type of bike rack. You can leave the bikes on the MH locked and not on the Jeep when your out 4x4ing and not banging the bikes around. The bikes don't interfere with the MH tail lights, but on the Toad they do. The list goes on....
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #37

This one is made locally and is built to last
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4292619069.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	44396  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #38

Loading / unloading
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1164961139.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	44397  
Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post

That looks just about right. Although bikes do weigh much less than a person , does anyone have any thoughts whether this might damage/weaken the ladder?
Been carrying on ladder for a couple of years. No problems. Easy on/off. Bought at CW for under 40. Have a Yakima for receiver hitch but never use now.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post

Been carrying on ladder for a couple of years. No problems. Easy on/off. Bought at CW for under 40. Have a Yakima for receiver hitch but never use now.

Name:	image-810752949.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	44399
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the Double Receiver as a great and safe solution - we were cautioned against the ladder mount by our service department. Just had the shop add a receiver added to the top - I don't use an extension of any kind - but it would make disconnecting the toad a bit easier.
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburke View Post
We have the Swagman XC Cross Country bike carrier. It slips over the toad hitch on the RV and they ride safely between the toad and our RV. A couple of bungee cords make it more secure. Nice thing is that you can disconnect the toad and leave the bikes on the RV hitch. We love it for its simplicity and ease of mounting and dismounting. $160 at Amazon.
I have a similar Swagman...works fine.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote