Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #15

We have a Jeep tow car and we put two bikes on the back of it. That way when we detach and do something with the car bikes come with Jeep easy.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #16

I have a spare tire bike carrier that I have used and love it. If I were to buy a new carrier I would get a receiver bike carrier.
Lyonpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a link to what I've been using for over a year for our mountain bikes. Works great to get the bikes to the riding trails after we have parked the coach. Amazon.com: Yakima Sparetime One Color, One Size: Sports & Outdoors
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We use the Swagman XC also. Tips: Get a cover for the bikes. Use a screw in hitch pin, it keeps the bikes from swaying around on the hitch.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
if your jeep has a receiver... nothing beats a hitch carrier. If they are expensive bikes I would get a BBQ cover from wally world or outdoor store so they arent out in the elements or as visible.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #20

Regarding covers, we don't, but I've read that covers designed for home style barbeque grills are about the right size and work pretty well? And, we do use a tie strap from our hitch mounted bike rack to the spare tire to keep the bikes from moving around much on the back of the CRV.

Regarding theft, I'm not sure I would subject a real nice bike to some of the abuse a bike takes spending a lot of time on a bike rack and being stored outdoors? From that perspective, a thief will have his choice of many, many bikes in any place we frequent often. He wouldn't need any tools to ride off on many of them. I feel the cable on ours keeps them "secure enough", to make most thieves not give us a second look.

Last, oil your chains well prior to your trip to prevent rust! If you don't, they WILL, in very short order!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We also use folding bikes. Two 6 speed bikes from CW. On sale for $149 each.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Pburk can you give the model of "Swagman XC Cross Country bike carrier". I have searched but cannot find one to Fit Over the over the hitch on our RV.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
this is what we use. I can remove the rack and put it on the car if we want to take the bikes someplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HITCH 4-26-13 013.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	44347  
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #24

Just went through this ourselves (three bikes though). We ended up with an "over the hitch" carrier from Swagman (etrailer.com carries them, and gave EXCELLENT customer service). Nice and steady (yes I watched in the camera) swings down for access to the engine fluids and as has been said, stays there when you disengage the toad. Can also be transferred to the toad for transport once at destination.

I have also recently see people carrying bikes on a carrier attached to the ladder. Has anyone done this?

X2 on the rusting chains (found this the hard way). Bike shops carry a "winter protection " chain lube - probably wise to use that prior to loading. (Bikes get really dusty also - be prepared to hose them off ...)
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #25

We mounted two bikes on the rear of our Discovery for several years which proved to be less than ideal. The bikes got very dirty, rust showed up, and in general the condition of the bikes was less than the best.
We then purchased two fold up bikes at CW. We fold them and store them in our Vue. This has worked just great. We take them everywhere and ride them regularly. Works great for us.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
this is what we use. I can remove the rack and put it on the car if we want to take the bikes someplace.
Looks looks I am seeing a double receiver, and on that the rack for the bikes on the upper and an extension on the lower. And a toad town at on the extension. Correct?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a Yakima fold down receiver type rack. I can carry the bikes on the mh or on the car or suv. This receiver rack can fit a 1 1/2" or 2" receiver with the addition of a sleeve for 2". When I get to the campground I put the rack on the mh for storage. I use a gray tarp for a cover & I also make sure to keep the chain & other components oiled or waxed. I use a dry lube for the chain which is a paraffin wax product. It won't wash off & is available at most bike shops. Do not use WD40, it actually removes the oil.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #28

We have a receiver hitch on our durango, carry 4 bikes, they all follow us wherever we go.