Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbon69 View Post
There have been a few posts in the past about vinyl wrap vs. paint and a more recent post about getting a commission on vinyl wrap graphics for advertising. I had an entirely new graphics scheme done on our coach eight years ago by RV Stripes and Graphics in Mesa, AZ. The graphics are bright yellow and dark maroon (ASU Sun Devil colors) and they are as bright today as they were eight years ago.

I've been doing a lot of research lately online about vinyl vs. paint and have discovered vinyl has come a long way in the past few years. In conjunction with RV S & G, I'm moving forward to completely wrap our 40' coach and Jeep toad with 3M 1080 vinyl. I'm doing the major wrap and RV S & G will be providing new graphics. I'm doing this 1) because ASU completely changed their color and mascot scheme and 2) my twenty year old coach needs a new paint job.

I've bought several different small pieces of vinyl and have experimented with how the install will go. My next step is to wrap the Jeep for practice and then do the coach. You don't need a respirator, spray gun, expensive paint, and a climate controlled garage to install vinyl. You just need a little patience. A new paint job will cost $10k + for the RV and $3k for the jeep. I'm buying $1,500 worth of vinyl to do both.

The vinyl put on eight years ago has held very well in the AZ sun. The new 3M 1080 material is supposed to have a 12 year life, making my coach 32 years old.

I'll post updates as I move through the process.
there has been now for many years a vinyl that has real auto pint in it .. it is some really nice stuff

i did alot of this type of work some time ago .. if you where next to me i would help you do it all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #16

Bamaboy, Do a search on Amazon. 3M 1080 vinyl is about $1.80/square foot. My 38' coach has about 810 square feet, including the windows. There is a backing paper to peel off and the film has an initial tack. 3M does not recommend a wet install, but it can be done wet if the proper techniques are used.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #17

If that $1.80 is the finished product (with your picture or graphics on it), then that's a great deal compared to what my quote was.

How do you prep the surface? Can you move the vinyl around in order to get it to sit exactly right? How to get bubbles out of the project?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

The $1.80/SF is for a total wrap (covering everything). If you want graphics (Sun Devil Pitchpork, Roll Tide, etc), you will need to get a custom vinyl shop to print it on their big flat bed printers. The graphics can be applied over the total wrap and can be replaced without removing the underlying wrap. A 2' x2' ASU Sparky runs about $60. Like painting, surface prep is critical. The surface needs to be clean and any imperfections cleaned up. The cool thing about 3M vinyl is that it can be placed and picked up and replaced until you get it where you want it. Someone asked about how to handle the vinyl panel by yourself - there is a trick. I'll document it as I'm doing it. First shipment of vinyl arrives Thursday. Should have photos next weekend.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #19

...so is the vinyl you're getting a solid color; no graphics? I guess we'll see soon enough, but curiosity has me by the short hairs.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #20

I also can't wait to see photos! We are planning to fully wrap our bus conversion. The price is right compared to paint, the lack of chemical particulates is a plus, and I love the idea of being able to do designs a little more easily. The knifeless tape that was mentioned up thread seems really great as well.

I'm not sure if the OP will use them, but you can get installation kits that include a set of magnets to help hold the vinyl while you are getting it sorted out. Welcome to Geek Wraps, Inc. - Smarter Wrap Tools

Best of luck with your upcoming wrap!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniTS View Post

I'm not sure if the OP will use them, but you can get installation kits that include a set of magnets to help hold the vinyl while you are getting it sorted out. Welcome to Geek Wraps, Inc. - Smarter Wrap Tools

Best of luck with your upcoming wrap!

The problem being, magnets don't much like to work with fiberglass sides and aluminum framing. I don't see much choice other than tape or several other sets of hand to keep that stuff from folding in on itself. Very curious how the OP will do it.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That wrap looks awful.

My friends have a 2000 Winnebago that they bought new. In 2005 the paint started to poc. It looks like someone just kept hitting it with a sharp ice hammer all over. (little round poc marks about an eighth of an inch) Apparently this happened to many of Winnebagos of that year and they told him that they would only fix the ones that started showing that problem in the first four years. They missed the cutoff by a few months. They love their layout and the rest of the coach but are sick about the way the outside looks. Maybe this wrap would work for them.
When they buy another coach you can bet it won't be a Winnebago. Same with me, with that kind of customer service, how can anyone feel confident with a new purchase.
I guess that defines the term "LIMITED warranty"
Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #23

That sounds like a great idea. When you have pictures I would love to see the finished project
Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #24

I kind of feel like I'm keeping you guys on the edge of your seat, but the vinyl isn't supposed to arrive until Thursday and I want to make it clear I'm doing my toad first as it will be great practice before I tackle the coach.

As to the pock marked Winnie, I hope I explained earlier that surface blemishes on an RV will reflect through on the vinyl covering. I don't know what those pock marks look like, so not sure about a solution. It may be possible to use some kind of repair like an epoxy coating (will be demonstrated in my coach) or a surface treatment like bondo.

I also want to emphasis, this is my FIRST time doing this, but there are pros out there who do this every day. They will charge you for the materials, their expertise, and their time to do this. I want to demonstrate that it can be done DIY and it doesn't have to be outlandishly expensive. It isn't that hard, it just takes some patience. After all, most RVs are pretty much a big box. You just wrap it like a big box.

And, I have to admit, the Texas A&M wrap was a little too much. I've looked at similar designs for my Sun Devil Bus and decided to go much more low key. Understatement is the best design key.

I will begin photos tomorrow showing "before" photos and tools and materials. Stay tuned.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #25

Good Luck!

I will be following your project. This is something I intend to do myself. I am the proud owner of a 95' Thor Columbus (30'). My bus has been sitting in the Southern Arizona desert sun for 6 years and is totally cooked
Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #26

"Before" photos

As promised, a few before photos. The first photo is our toad, 1995 Jeep Wrangler. I am doing it first to hone my skills before tackling the coach. Neat thing about wrapping a jeep is that they are almost totally disassembable. Like the RV, I'll be taking the Jeep apart to wrap it and then putting it back together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	75466

The existing Jeep graphic and pin stripes are vinyl and can be removed with a heat gun.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #27

I have absolutely no idea how to get two photos on the same post, so will have a post for each photo. And I'm a retired engineer who started working with computers in 1970!!

This is a side view of our coach. You can see where I have done epoxy repairs on the damaged fiberglass. The gold and maroon stripes were installed 8 years ago by RV Stripes and Graphics. I have purchased new screw cover trim pieces for the cargo compartments ($5 for 10' pieces). I will remove the gold and maroon vinyl, again with a heat gun. Like the jeep I will take everything I can off before applying new vinyl. Odd shaped items will painted before reinstall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	75467
Old 10-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am holding my breath waiting for pictures and lessons learned. My RV needs a paint job but I dont want to spend the money. This might be a better solution. Thanks and good luck.