Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Velvac Top Hat Convex Mirror Add Ons

Looking for user input on these mirrors. I installed them on both sides today and it was pretty straight forward. My only concern, prior to going down the highway, is that as they're only held on with 3 three screws do they vibrate at speed? The securing screws on pretty much on the mirror side and I'm wondering if there should be some 3M double sided tape on the front to prevent any lift?

Thanks,

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

It might help if you included pictures of what these mirrors look like that you're talking about. A number of the Velvac brand mirrors already have convex mirrors as part of their design.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Hi Ken,

As I mentioned, I was looking for actual user input from people who have retro-fitted them and could offer their comments based upon actual use.

The Velvac 2025, like many, have convex mirrors built in however these are an add on to that model which secure to the top or bottom. If you're curious what they look like here's a link:

Mirror top hat, 715374, Velvac - Ryder Fleet Products

......but again, I'm looking for actual user experience. Thanks though....

Ron
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron,

I installed Velvac Top Hats seven years ago. Zero vibration issues. I did have to shim them a tad though to get them mounted properly. I used some thin plastic I had laying around. One of the best mods I have done. It's not depicted in the below photo, but I later aimed the mirror head’s bottom convex mirror down to the ground, which allows me to see my front tires. This makes maneuvering in and out of tight spots much easier. I use the Top Hat’s upper convex to view side traffic. Not too long after that, I replaced the main mirror glass with Velvac’s turn signal LED’s. Cool upgrade.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Thanks Craig!

I like the idea of pointing the lower convex directly down so I can see the front on along the bottom side of the coach and I'll have the top cover off the usual outside blind spot.

Ron
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

My top hat mirrors have been in place at least 6 years with just the screws. No vibration and no problems.

I think you'll like having them.

Fred
Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

I just bought a set but do you have to remove the main mirror cover to drill the holes and install the hat ? I had not instruction what so ever with the hats!
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnya View Post
I just bought a set but do you have to remove the main mirror cover to drill the holes and install the hat ? I had not instruction what so ever with the hats!
No, removal of the mirror is not needed, but you should contact Velvac for the instructions. You will need the template they provide for drilling the mounting holes into the top of your existing mirror head.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #9

Thanks Craig!
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:31 AM   #10

Very nice. I also like that idea. May order a set of those.

Boy, went and looked at their site, the replacement mirrors are priced crazy. For that kind of money you might expect they would build them so the chrome don't peal. Mine are starting to do that on the arms.

L.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #11

I purchased the Top Hat add ons and a complete power head that had been clipped by a truck through an RV supply store and it was much cheaper than buying direct from Velvac.

The top hat install was less than 30 minutes for both and I took my time. They've been rock solid and a fantastic addition to the mirror.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

Just installed mine. Another job well done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435266635523.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	98330  
Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #13

I'm getting ready to order a set as well. Other than a drill and bit what else is required to mount them? Anything special?

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to replace an entire mirror and found this place was cheaper than buying directly from Velvac. Also, fantastic service reps to talk to with questions. PRVParts.com: Motorhome Accessories & RV Parts Online