Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Venetian Blinds

OK new day - new problem. The venetian blinds SOMEHOW got pulled down and the holes where they were screwed into won't hold the screws anymore. I tried the steel wool in the hole trick but they STILL won't stay. Any suggestions? It's a hollow spot.
MrsPhillips

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider toggle bolts availabe at HD, Lowes etc

Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

stuff the holes with tooth picks and elmers glue then break off the picks flush and add new screws.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 AM   #4

x2 for tooth picks, old trick used in homes

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try the toothpick and other solutions first (larger screws) but 1/8 inch plywood doesn't support a lot, and there really isn't a good way to repair that screw hole.

If you use the ones mccsix listed or the ones I show below, pay attention to the bolt length.

If the bolt is long, and you're not paying attention when you screw it into the wall, you could actually run the bolt all the way through and penetrate the exterior wall of your MH. This will NOT be a good day if you do that.

Double check the depth that you have to work with by taking a long piece of wire (bent top of coat hanger), push it into the existing hole so you can measure how much space (depth) you have to deal with.

If you use the ones I showed in the photo, drill a hole slightly smaller and push the fastener into the hole, do not use a hammer and pound it in as you'll destroy the plywood.

IMPORTANT - When you buy these, they come in various lengths to accommodate wall thickness (You can see how the 4 little fingers bend up and kind of clamp the fastener to the wall). Your wall is probably like 1/8 inch thick, so if you purchase the ones that would be used for 5/8 inch sheet rock, the little fingers will not snug up against the inside of the wall.

OH YAH - With my luck, I usually end up pinching a 110 volt wire inside the wall when I install one of the toggle or molly bolts. :-(

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	products-and-finishing-034.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	105214  

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

I have the same screws that came out of the hole. Think I'll try the toothpick/glue trick first. Thanks to ALL for your responses!!\
Mrs. Phillips
Old 08-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Try the toothpick and other solutions first (larger screws) but 1/8 inch plywood doesn't support a lot, and there really isn't a good way to repair that screw hole.

If you use the ones mccsix listed or the ones I show below, pay attention to the bolt length.

If the bolt is long, and you're not paying attention when you screw it into the wall, you could actually run the bolt all the way through and penetrate the exterior wall of your MH. This will NOT be a good day if you do that.

Double check the depth that you have to work with by taking a long piece of wire (bent top of coat hanger), push it into the existing hole so you can measure how much space (depth) you have to deal with.

If you use the ones I showed in the photo, drill a hole slightly smaller and push the fastener into the hole, do not use a hammer and pound it in as you'll destroy the plywood.

IMPORTANT - When you buy these, they come in various lengths to accommodate wall thickness (You can see how the 4 little fingers bend up and kind of clamp the fastener to the wall). Your wall is probably like 1/8 inch thick, so if you purchase the ones that would be used for 5/8 inch sheet rock, the little fingers will not snug up against the inside of the wall.

OH YAH - With my luck, I usually end up pinching a 110 volt wire inside the wall when I install one of the toggle or molly bolts. :-(

Those fasteners shown are called hollow wall or hollow door anchors or, more frequently, Molybolts. Toggle bolts require a larger hole and more wall depth to insert them in and, if you ever remove the screw, you will lose the toggle. Molybolts will hold much, much better that the toothpicks and glue trick in a thin wall (if you can even get the latter to work, which I doubt).
Old 08-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had success with these in drywall. I've also cut the pointed end off when using in a shallow clearance (have to make a hole to start them in when you cut off).

You can find at home improvement stores:
Twist-N-Lock
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
I have had success with these in drywall. I've also cut the pointed end off when using in a shallow clearance (have to make a hole to start them in when you cut off).

Twist-N-Lock
Those are great for drywall bit they won't hold in paneling.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
Twist-N-Lock
TinCanTee

Those screw in anchors work amazingly well in stripped out holes in the thin paneling used in RVs.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-31-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
x2 for tooth picks, old trick used in homes

X3. I held a wood boat together in the 70's with them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen these for sell in the box stores like Lowes Home Depot etc

http://www.amazon.com/Woodmate-2498-.../dp/B001B38ALG
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #13

THAT did the trick! Thank you so much! I got it back up!!