RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Vent cover for Fantastic Fan

I am getting ready to take delivery of a new Newmar Ventana and it comes with Fantastic fans, which I had not had before. They have rain sensors which should close in the rain, but I know there will be times when I want them to run on rainy day, so I am looking for good covers that would work well with these fans...in particular with the automatic lids. I don't want any cover to impede the mechanism of the fantastic fan.

Anyone have any covers that would - or would not - work well with the Fantastic fans?
Let me know.
Thanks

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Vent Covers

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Any vent cover will trap noise and prevent the unit from working well. Consider no cover , you can operate the manual vent open/close knob to open the vent slightly to get air even in rainy weather.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

I have covers on each of three Fantastic Fans in my MH; They work just fine, no noise noted. Each have the right to their opinion, my comments are from my experience.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Thanks! I was looking at those and they look nice...maybe a few bucks more - wanted to see if they were worth the extra $$.

Quote:
Any vent cover will trap noise and prevent the unit from working well. Consider no cover , you can operate the manual vent open/close knob to open the vent slightly to get air even in rainy weather.
I will take that into consideration as well...although I have likes having the vents on my Hurricane.

Quote:
I have covers on each of three Fantastic Fans in my MH; They work just fine, no noise noted. Each have the right to their opinion, my comments are from my experience.
Thanks. Which covers have you used/liked/disliked?

Old 04-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #6

I did not maintenance my rain sensors (Clean them). and you guessed it, dirty sensor equals water on the floor. Have covers now and one less worry.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From experience I can tell you to get the proper hoods made by the Fantastic Fan company. They work well, easy install and easy to remove if necessary. We had a rain sensor model once. Never again. Guess what happens in the middle of the night when you are asleep? The noise from the darn thing closing and opening wakes up a light sleeper like me, and when it is closed of course you have no ventilation
Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Any vent cover will trap noise and prevent the unit from working well.

Im not sure what you mean by 'trap noise'? If anything, especially when going down the road, the covers make my vents quieter.

Again, the FF covers are designed to work with the fan, and especially on windy days, don't reduce their effectiveness in the least.

Where they really excel is in that they prevent that square of sunlight that always lands on my laptop or TV, and allowing me to leave them wide open in pouring rain.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We had a rain sensor model once. Never again. Guess what happens in the middle of the night when you are asleep? The noise from the darn thing closing and opening wakes up a light sleeper like me, and when it is closed of course you have no ventilation
The new ones close and do not open again until you cycle the power. Personally I liked the ones that opened and closed at will. I agree, at night it is annoying but when dry camping and away from the RV it's nice to return to a cool camper rather than a hot one after a shower blows through.

I have one of the Atwood Fantastic Vent covers. It allows enough rain in that the cover closes sometimes. The other brands may be more restrictive but they also don't let the rain in.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed MaxxAirs IIs on my fans not long after I purchased our coach. The new version MaxxAir IIs would be my choice now.
One rain soaked bathroom was all it took to make me add the covers on our first coach.
https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
I installed MaxxAirs IIs on my fans not long after I purchased our coach. The new version MaxxAir IIs would be my choice now.
One rain soaked bathroom was all it took to make me add the covers on our first coach.
Thanks Gramps. Did you put the MaxxAirs over Fantastic fans? And was there season for choosing them?

And thanks to everyone for their replies!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

I installed the max air II on my fantastic fans several years ago. Work great.

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, vent