Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Question Ventana LE vs Allegro RED vs Excursion?

When we went to the RV show in Louisville, KY this past January, we were sucked into an Allegro Red. We were hanging onto the door trying not to go in but we just weren't strong enough. That's where we contracted the NMV (New Motorhome Virus). What is frustrating is our current MH suits us so well! It's size is perfect, it's got all the storage we need, it fits into most campgrounds & there is nothing wrong with it. UGH. But....we want a DP.

So since then, we've been researching DPs and have looked at what seems millions of floor plans & read just as many specs & descriptions. We want/need to stay as close to 34' as we can because of the angle into our drive and the garage we built for the G'town.

We have toured a Newmar Ventana LE 3434, the Tiffin Allegro Red 34QFA, a Fleetwood Excursion 33D and a Coachmen Sportscoach 360DL.
Topping the list is the Newmar. The Tiffin is a very close 2nd and the Excursion is pretty much tied with the Tiffin. We know they are considered "entry level" but that's okay with us and I can see us being happy with any of them.

We aren't opposed to used but it seems there are fewer used for sale in the shorter coaches than new. We really do not want anything older than a 2010 and it would have to be in excellent condition. DH is adamant that any used unit we would be interested in would have to be garaged when not in use. We aren't in a hurry and want to sell ours before we get anything else so have plenty of time to keep looking and analyzing our choices but just as soon as ours sells, we want another right away.

With all that in mind, I'd like to know from those that have these units the pros & cons and if there are certain years that have had more problems than other years. I know Tiffin had a couple of issues in their pre-2012 units.

Suggestions for different models would be welcome too but we need to stay close to the 34' max length.

Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
I am right there with you I have a 2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3642 but we want to get a diesel The only brands I would consider is Newmar or Tiffin I have also looked at the 34'Red and Ventana.I will tell you this from my experience a 38'
motorhome drives a lot better than a 34' so I ruled out anything under 36'
The dealers I have talked to are good until you mention trade they change the numbers around and try to confuse you.I also don't want to sell my coach and have to wait 4 months for them to build me one.The best deal I got was on a Tiffin but by having a Newmar and knowing how well my coach is built and the support I get from Newmar I want to stay with them we are looking at the 3847
my wife loves the floor plan and I drove one on a windy day and it handled great The comfort Steer is amazing.Good Luck on your search and keep us posted

Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Before you buy a Tiffin you might want to check out the Tiffin RV Forum to see if there are any issues with the model you are considering. Tiffin has been having some issues with roofs, slides, and floors that may exist on the model you are looking toward.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

Good luck, that's a very tough choice. All really good coaches.

How we ended up picking Newmar, was because they would customize. So we ordered a custom coach for the same price as 1 setting on a lot.

We choose the no compromise route.

So if the is anything you don't like about any of the floor plans, get a quote from Newmar for exactly what you want. Then compare that price to the others.

It's free to shop, expensive to buy.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Newmar makes a great coach no doubt, but we are very happy with our Allegro RED. Check the specs carefully as there are small items that may make a major difference. The Tiffin is rated for only 5,000 lbs towing, so that could be an issue right off the bat. Good things about it? Tiffin seems to provide the absolute most storage room and largest tanks of any comparable coaches out there. In most other coaches I see, the gray water tanks are usually too small.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote