Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
WDW

Vents open or closed

We're about to put our A to bed for winter. This is our first storage season for our MH.

We've secured a spot in a large unheated warehouse that has other RVs and cars. Given ambient air temp can be below freezing here in WNY should we open any of the roof vents?

We will have power for the batteries but I don't want to run a dehumidifier because checking it more than every 3 weeks or so would be inconvenient.

We plan on deploying several damp rid containers, rodent "food" and dryer sheets. Should we put mothballs in the storage compartments?

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We're about to put our A to bed for winter. This is our first storage season for our MH.

We've secured a spot in a large unheated warehouse that has other RVs and cars. Given ambient air temp can be below freezing here in WNY should we open any of the roof vents?

We will have power for the batteries but I don't want to run a dehumidifier because checking it more than every 3 weeks or so would be inconvenient.
We plan on deploying several damp rid containers, rodent "food" and dryer sheets. Should we put mothballs in the storage compartments?
WDW
I store my coach outside in Wisconsin with one of the roof vents, and one sliding window, (which have rain covers), open.

And a few packs of D-con...(but no "Damp Rid" or mothballs).
Have for 14 winters.

Mel
'96 Safari, 144k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

We keep both roof vents open and the bedroom window cracked. If there is no air flow you can have a condensation problem if the ambient temperatures have a huge swing in a short period of time. We did this with our trailer and now MH for ten years and have been successful.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I keep my vents open as well to equalize the temperature differences between the inside and outside as temps rise and fall, which helps prevent condensation. However, I would never use any type of mouse/rat poison (deterrents not included). The last thing you want is for a rodent to eat the posion, go to an inaccessible area in your motorhome, and dye. It could very easily take a couple years to find out where the smell is coming from, and another couple years to entirely rid the motorhome of the smell.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always put D Con in my coach. I have never had a problem with a smell. I have seen evidence of rats eating the D Con but never found a dead rat. I have been told to make sure there is no water in the coach as they will leave the coach in search of water when the poison hits them.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I keep my vents open as well to equalize the temperature differences between the inside and outside as temps rise and fall, which helps prevent condensation. However, I would never use any type of mouse/rat poison (deterrents not included). The last thing you want is for a rodent to eat the poison, go to an inaccessible area in your motorhome, and die. It could very easily take a couple years to find out where the smell is coming from, and another couple years to entirely rid the motorhome of the smell.
DeWat
Not to worry.
I've been feeding rodents D-Con for over 35 years in my RVs, cars, garages and houses and I have yet to find or smell a body.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've got the Maxxair vent covers & leave the vent lids cracked open a bit all during winter storage. There are several options for humidity control that aren't electric, search for DampRid or similar. I do put small Tupperware containters with charcoal briquettes in the fridge compartments so it doesn't get stale smelling & I also leave the doors propped open a crack. I don't put anything down for rodents. Been lucky I guess.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
I keep my vents open as well to equalize the temperature differences between the inside and outside as temps rise and fall, which helps prevent condensation. However, I would never use any type of mouse/rat poison (deterrents not included). The last thing you want is for a rodent to eat the posion, go to an inaccessible area in your motorhome, and dye. It could very easily take a couple years to find out where the smell is coming from, and another couple years to entirely rid the motorhome of the smell.
Simple solution to keep rats out of your MH:
Place poison under your MH on aluminum pie tins. Never inside the coach. Then place pans of water under someone else's MH. The rats won't feel well enough to go back to yours. LOL

I was born this way. What's your excuse!
Lynn
Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I've stored my MH in exactly the same environment as you
describe, in central PA. I do not leave any vents open.
I remove anything edible and all paper products.
With no food or warmth, rodents are not interested.
Cabinets open, frig doors cracked open.
Plugged in to keep batteries fully charged.
5 years of doing this with no issues.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
WDW

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's response.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Nothing to do with vents but we remove everything from our MH before storing it. My wife has stackable plastic bins which are marked and numbered. Every cabinet and drawer is emptied and everything goes into the bins. Any food or condiments are brought into the house and get used. She does keep a list of what we bring in so she can replace it in the spring and put it back into the MH. In the spring she will clean the entire MH and put everything back into it's respective storage place.
I take care of the storage bays. Most everything is fine to leave in the bays except anything which may freeze and be damaged. I do take everything out in the spring and clean the bays. Nothing ever gets put into a bay unless it is clean and dry when we camp.
The plastic bins get stacked in our basement for the winter.
Lynn
Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vents open, food out, everything else stays the same. With over 25 years having RVs, never a problem with pests. Close everything lower down that can be closed. Since I'm not plugged in, there's limited ways for anything to enter my coach since wheel wells are closed in..
Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #13

With vents closed, you run the risk of condensation inside. Leave vents open. That allows diffusion to dissipate any excess moisture inside.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent