Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

very new to forum- radiator electric fan problem

i have had my 94 fleetwood bounder 36ft for 8 yrs. just found out that the electric radiator fan is not coming on. the fan works ok, jumped it to the battery. i was told at a car parts store that it could be the fuse or relay. i have to locations for fuses, under the hood(these look more like for the coach itself) behind the odometer(more related to chevy) oh it's on a p-30 chevy with 454 engine. i want to get the fan working but i can't find the relay or the fuse. can anyone help me with this? i have been fixing things for 40 yrs and this is driving me over the edge. also, i can not find a repair manual for the motor or drive train. i have had my 94 fleetwood bounder 36ft for 8 yrs. just found out that the electric radiator fan is not coming on. the fan works ok, jumped it to the battery. i was told at a car parts store that it could be the fuse or relay. i have to locations for fuses, under the hood(these look more like for the coach itself) behind the odometer(more related to chevy) oh it's on a p-30 chevy with 454 engine. i want to get the fan working but i can't find the relay or the fuse. can anyone help me with this? i have been fixing things for 40 yrs and this is driving me over the edge. also, i can not find a repair manual for the motor or drive train.
mike0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the 1999 and newer Chevrolet engines - Workhorse chassis's, they have a mechanical fan behind the radiator to keep air coming through the radiator keep the engine cool and 2 electric fans on the condenser (in front of the radiator) that only comes on only when the Air conditioner is on to improve airflow through condenser at slow speeds, they actually are programmed to turn off around 45 mph.

So the point is---maybe your testing your fan with your AC off, try turning your AC on and see if the fan comes on.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

Thumbs up thanks for the reply mgscott4

you have a good point. i was under the assumption that the fan was for both the a/c and to help if overheating. i charged the a/c a month age and the fan did work for the a/c. on our trip 2 yrs ago we did over heat (good slow incline for 4 miles) not surprised but the fan didn't come on. other then that i have had no issues. this year i plan on pulling a trailer and and this will be harder on the engine. there are elec fan temp units that i can attach in the event of high heat. i may go in that direction.
mike0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

There should be some type temp switch as well. Once you figure out the wiring circuit, it should have two paths for getting +12v to the fan: the temp switch and the A/C. either one should be able to turn it on.

Your mechanical fan may need a new fan clutch. The elec fan is mostly for low speeds, once at highway speed the airflow is sufficient the elec fan should not make much difference. But your mech fan clutch is important for it to be working properly in order for maximum cooling system performance.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I believe your vintage of mh has a gel activated fan. When the gel reaches a certain temperature it solidifies and turns the fan. I had a couple of these and frankly, they are awful.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike....good info on the electric fans. Your main engine fan (clutch type) on a Chevrolet of that era, will sound like an airplane taking off under the hood. If you haven't heard that as the temps climb on a hill, the clutch is probably bad. In years past, that clutch is one of the few things that should only be purchased from Chevrolet. The aftermarket ones were of poor quality. It's been years since I've bought one, so maybe things have changed. Maybe someone else who has bought one recently can chime in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

Are you asking about the electric fan that is out in front of the radiator and a/c condenser? Everyone seems to think you're asking about the fan clutch.
I have a 96 P30 454 and that fan is run by a temp sender/sensor in one of the heads. I have one in each head and another one in the very front of the intake manifold. I'll try and look up tonight in my manual which one runs that front electric fan. One of the others is for the temp gauge and I can't remember right off hand what the 3rd one is for.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Are you asking about the electric fan that is out in front of the radiator and a/c condenser? Everyone seems to think you're asking about the fan clutch.
I have a 96 P30 454 and that fan is run by a temp sender/sensor in one of the heads. I have one in each head and another one in the very front of the intake manifold. I'll try and look up tonight in my manual which one runs that front electric fan. One of the others is for the temp gauge and I can't remember right off hand what the 3rd one is for.
jcgribks:

I have a 1987 P30 454 and am trying to find the temp sender/sensor in one of the heads. What would it look like? Do you know of or have any diagrams to pinpoint an exact location?
Ryan7361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

Mike, The sensor for the Auxiliary Fan is in the right head. The sensor in the left head is for the Temp gauge and the one it the front of the intake just says engine coolant temp.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #10

Ryan,

If you have a temp sensor in one of your heads, there is a hole for it about in the middle just above and in between the exhaust ports. Go to any auto parts online like www.oriellyauto.com and put in you year, make and model. Go to the engine parts and pull up the listing for a cylinder head and go through the pictures listed to see the exhaust side of the head and you will see where there is a screw in plug. That would be where your sensor would be.

Tags
fan, forum, radiator