Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Very Steep Hill at Campground

Maybe I am overthinking this, but I will ask anyway. When we came into the campground yesterday we came down a very steep driveway. I would say the rise is 30 to 40 feet.

We are the only class A down here. The rest are trailers and 5ers. I may have given it a second thought on my own, but I was following the staff golf cart as instructed. I drove in the Rockies last year, including Rocky Mountain National Park (over 10,000 feet) without any concern that the coach could make it. This is steeper than any of those.

I am thinking of setting the Allison to its lowest (first?) and taking as much of a run at it as I can in 50’.
Any suggestions?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

steep hill

yes have had the same concern in past. But have found even on steep hills going at it in a reasonable way the auto trans will select the best gear and take you right up. Usually my biggest concern it that there are not high spots or dips that might cause you to be hung up in between your longer than a car wheel base, or for that matter your back overhang.
So I'm thinking maybe not full throttle but a mid range 5/8--3/4 let the coach do the work. This has worked for me!
Hope this helps enjoy!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What campground? Any pictures?
Or post the address so I can Google Map it - just curious about this campsite.
Good luck.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

IMHO You should try the hill just as you would if you were pulling up any grade and the tranny will stay in low gear if necessary. I dont think from your description that hill would be long enough to stall the coach. If you take a run at it and bottom out the rear bumper you may get stuck with a rear wheels off the ground situation which will really be allot of fun for the other campers to watch.

Not so much for your day though.

If all else fails you can take a run at it on the second or third pass.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think taking a run at a hill in a CG is a good idea. If you got to the top and a child was playing in the road you'd be caught off guard and who knows what could happen. You MH will select the proper gear for the climb. You'd most likely start out in first gear.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Maybe I am overthinking this, but I will ask anyway. When we came into the campground yesterday we came down a very steep driveway. I would say the rise is 30 to 40 feet.

We are the only class A down here. The rest are trailers and 5ers. I may have given it a second thought on my own, but I was following the staff golf cart as instructed. I drove in the Rockies last year, including Rocky Mountain National Park (over 10,000 feet) without any concern that the coach could make it. This is steeper than any of those.

I am thinking of setting the Allison to its lowest (first?) and taking as much of a run at it as I can in 50’.
Any suggestions?
Years ago before I had my Class A I did travel with Class A friends to a park in New Braunfels TX that had a VERY steep rise like you are describing. I did not think much about it but I do know they had no trouble getting out of the park. If I recall the park may have been Landa RV Park on the comal river.

But like some else said about humps in the road....I got hung up in my 30 foot trailer going over the railroad tracks just outside that same campground. But my Class A friends did not.
For what it worth.
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

You are probably not the first class A to camp there. I wouldn't do anything special for the hill. The Allison transmission is smarter than you are and will do what is needed it get you up the hill. Smooth and easy is always better than fast and rough.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Yup, over thinking it.

Put the trans in drive and head up the hill.

The torque converter will convert the torque from the engine to power to the wheels, that's what they do. The more they slip, the more torque they deliver. They only lock up at 20 MPH or more.

Its like driving up a steep driveway apron, just many, many times.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #9

Thanks for everyone’s input. Now that I look at it in the sunlight from below, it does not look quite as steep as it did going down in the dark. I am thinking that if the bus could climb out of Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, TX, it can handle this short run. My concern was with the transmission doing an optimistic shift on the way up and losing momentum. The rise is more like 60 feet, but the photos don’t really depict the slope. Just looks like a road through the woods.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Thanks for everyone’s input. Now that I look at it in the sunlight from below, it does not look quite as steep as it did going down in the dark. I am thinking that if the bus could climb out of Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, TX, it can handle this short run. My concern was with the transmission doing an optimistic shift on the way up and losing momentum. The rise is more like 60 feet, but the photos don’t really depict the slope. Just looks like a road through the woods.
Just let the transmission do it's thing. The TCM knows what it can do.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #11

You have a better chance climbing the hill than a truck towing a trailer . You would be surprised how steep a grade you can climb. No need for a run at the hill.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #12

My long driveway is so steep that my rear end only has a couple inches of clearance because of the steep angle off the road going past my house. In addition, the road is only a little wider than a car and it's a 90 degree turn. I just go very slowly, whether going up or down, and whether it was my gas units, or my diesels, they have no problem just climbing right up.

Each year for Memorial weekend, we stay at a campground with a very steep access to the lower campground we stay in. Not only is it steep, but it's a horseshoe so tight that I have to keep the front wheels way to one side so the rears clear the inside corner (and not by much!) No choice but to go slow and easy. It all works.

You should have no issues. I also had a large 5th wheel, and for maneuverability, I'll take my big DP any day! So if others are going in and out with big towables, you should be fine.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #13

My old gasser came right up the 21% (12 deg) grade to my current spot, wet gravel and all. I think you'll be fine, slow and steady.

Gary
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
FR3

I had similar concerns in my gas rig when I was confronted with the 1/2 mile of 18% grade entering Laguna Seca campground near Monterey, CA. No problem going up, a little scary going down as there is a fairly sharp left hand curve at the bottom of the grade, immediately followed by a 180 degree right hand turn.
Beautiful views in that park BTW.

Tags
campground