Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

VIAIR air compressor mounting question

Hi everyone,

I have a viair on board air compressor that I would like to mount to my RV. Has anyone mounted one before and where did you mount it. I have a location in mind but before I proceed I would like to see if others have better suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Would retink mounting it. Portable is good somtimes: like toad, bikes or helping neighbor etc.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Stormguy

I hard mounted my QuickAir in a storage compartment where I have some of the solar equipment. Mounted and plumbed a 5 gallon holding tank under the frame rails and installed three regulated outputs each with a valve and pressure gauge. Two 25ft hoses and all connectors / adaptors are in a container in a different compartment and easily axcessed.

My preference is hard wired portable units for me are a PITA, The 2025R Trimetric says is draws 40amps when getting up to pressure - not a big deal.

Enjoy it they are great tools
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
When our air horn compressor failed I replaced it with a VIAIR. It was rubber isloated and mounted to the vertical firewall, where the old one was. I placed a 'T' in the supply line so that I could use it to fill tires and other air needs too. Tubing & fittings were obtained from an industrial supply house specializing in air & pneumatic parts & systems. Auto or truck parts stores may have a more limited size variety.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mine is mounted in my Jeep/toad which makes it very portable.
David
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got one in my Rubicon Toad as well
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is mounted under the coach, on a beam for the floor. Its conected to the manifold for the airbag suspension. Rubber mounted. Turns on when I inflate the bags.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

KJINTF, do you have any PICs of the install? I want to place it where it will not be damaged. The inlet filter needs to be in a place away from moisture so I will have to remote install that in a dry place. I'm surprised of all the wiring and stuff running along the frame.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi
Yes sure do - send me a PM with your email address
Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #10

mounted mine in basement comp. behind RF wheel. Needs to be close to battery or you have to use heavier wire to prevent overheating. Works well with 3 gallon tank and other stuff close at hand and protected from elements. rubber mounts keep noise lower. Still pretty loud when basement door open.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Seems like you have a good deal for how it should be installed, trying to keep it away from excessive moisture. I can't speak to exactly where on the RV to mount as I have never installed one on an RV.

Generally though, I would suggest somewhere rigid, and isolated if possible. They can put off a lot of noise when running so you may not want it right next to a living area. When you run power to it make sure to read the instructions as many of the bigger models require 4 gauge wiring to them. Also, keep wiring and plumbing away from the body of the compressor as they can build up a lot of heat and potentially melt something.

AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor