Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Vibration

Hi I have a 2003 Pace Arrow Ford Chassis, what I'm experiencing is going up steep grades only it feels like I'm going over a washboard road Transmission shifts perfectly. Anyone out there have had that problem or someone that has a idea what it is I would appreciate your help.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds to me like the hanger bearing on the drive shaft is going bad. Under torque it is chattering.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Viberation

Thanks will check that and I've also taught it might be the torque converter, if anyone have had to replace one can you tell me how it behaved before you had it replaced.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
Sounds to me like the hanger bearing on the drive shaft is going bad. Under torque it is chattering.
I agree, carrier bearing on driveshaft is shot.
If it were the torque converter you would see a corresponding fluctuation in rpm.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Viberation

Thanks and I will check that and hope it is because I don't want to have to pull the Tranny, the coach only have 51000 miles on it and the tranny fluid has been changed and it looks as clean as when I put it in, and there was no change in the RPM's because I was watching for that Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Viberation

Has anyone out there peplaced the carrier bearing on driveshaft? there is 2 on mine and looking at them the rubber from what I can see look good, so my question is how do you tell if they are bad, is there a way to check them.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #7

Grab the shaft, while in neutral ( Chock the wheels ) and try to shake it up, down, right and left. If they feel the same and tight, try taking it for a ride, then get under and feel if one is hotter then the other. While under there, get a 2 foot pipe and try to lift the rear of the tranny up. Could be a bad mount.

Good Luck
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You may have bad spark plugs. Or a weak coil because under a heavy load you normally feel the surging. My 2 cents.Plugs are cheap and easy to install or if you have a scan tool check it out.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #9

I've thought about the spark plugs and coil but it doesn't seem like I'm lacking in power,as for taking it out and heating it up we are in Florida for the winter and have everything set up, I think I will drop the driveshaft and check them.
I go back to the days when I was much younger and we had gravel roads and if you ever had to drive over them you would know there was areas that looked like a wash board sometimes. That is what It feels like I'm going over a wash board road when I'm going up a steep hill and if you ease of on the gas you can feel it get smooth again.
Just thought I would try to explain it a little better than I did in my first post.

Thank you to all that has posted on this and if anyone else has input I
appreciate it I always say it's a good day when you learn something,
Thanks again and a good day to all.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Driveshaft bearings when they are worn you will get a clunk when putting it in gear. If it does this only under load like up hills that is when the load is the greatest. When was the last time you had a tuneup. I bought my RV used and trusted the place to do a tuneup and they said they did and showed me a set of plugs. Well guess what they didn't because I just replaced them this weekend and the tips were worn out. I have only put about 7500 miles on this unit since I bought it. But mine had a little miss in it under load and perfect. I hate to see you pull the driveshaft and they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Center support (carrier bearing) mounts can start to lose their rigidity before there are visible signs. You might be able to see some minor cracking, or what looks like weather checking, with a magnifying glass.

50K miles is typically a pretty good life span for these in a heavy duty application.

The U-joints usually give up the ghost about the same time.

I just had the center support and all three U-joints on my Dodge dually camper hauler fail for the second time in 75K miles. Took the drive shaft out and dropped it at a place called Six States Distributors here locally. Picked it up the next day in better than new condition for a little over $300 with all new parts and balance job.

No more shaking!
fastcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

This may or not help, but on a previous Ford product, I had experienced a similar problem. After endless trips to various mechanic shops who mostly had one answer, need a new transmission, I ran across another backyard mechanic, who told me that it was likely that the spark plug wires had failed, and to try to give it a tune up, as that was something that he had encountered before. Well like the other poster said it was a relatively inexpensive attempt to correct this problem I gave it a shot.
Much to my surprise, when I had changed out the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, PROBLEM SOLVED! Amazing, how much money I had saved by trying this out before I committed thousands of dollars into a new transmission.
It may not be your problem, but if you have not given it a tune up recently, it might just help. If not then you will know for sure that it lies elsewhere.
Good luck and let us know what happens for you!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #13

Spark Plugs

Anyone out there know what year Ford increased the spark plug threads, mine is a 2003 but would have the 2002 chassis so just wondering if I have the more thread heads and if so do anyone have the torque for the plugs.Thanks

Tags
vibration