Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #1

Vibrations

I just bought a Damon (now owned by Thor) Avanti (2010.) So far, my wife and I have only taken one longish trip. The vibration in the steering wheel and also the difficulty in keeping the unit in the road (oversteering) made it difficult for me to enjoy the road trip. I have had all the tires checked and rebalanced. Could this be another problem? I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how was it resolved? The RV is still under warentee so I am anxious to get to the bottom of the problem. The chassis people (Freightliner) keep referring me to the tire people who say that everything is balanced and fine. Help!
geraldviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Did Freightliner do a front end alignment?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

No. I will check with freightliner about doing one. Thanks.
geraldviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

A steering wheel vibration is not caused by a bad front end alignment. There is nothing in the alignment that can cause that but can cause the wandering or the oversteer. The vibration in the steering wheel is either a tire out of round or a bent rim or a tread separation in a tire. Or a tire bouncing because the shock absorber is completely gone. The MH wandering can be a front end alignment or can be that you have all bad shocks on the MH. What tire shop are you taking it to to check the balance is it a truck tire place or a car tire place. How are they checking the balance...are they taking it off and spin balancing it or spinning the tire up when it is mounted on the MH? Is there a Speedco place close to you?

Try them
Speedco
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

How about wheel bearing or loose lug nuts?
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldviator View Post
I just bought a Damon (now owned by Thor) Avanti (2010.) So far, my wife and I have only taken one longish trip. The vibration in the steering wheel and also the difficulty in keeping the unit in the road (oversteering) made it difficult for me to enjoy the road trip. I have had all the tires checked and rebalanced. Could this be another problem? I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how was it resolved? The RV is still under warentee so I am anxious to get to the bottom of the problem. The chassis people (Freightliner) keep referring me to the tire people who say that everything is balanced and fine. Help!
You didn't mention if you've had the coach weighed and used the results to determine the tire pressure(s) you should be running. If these are too far off they can cause wandering or over steer. You cannot use info from the MH or tire manf. to do this with reasonable accuracy. You have to get it weighed.

You might ask Freightliner to check for slop in the steering gear as well. That can lead to the need for constant steering input/corrections as well.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Mike re the vibration issue.

Wandering is hard to diagnose, especially since it is often exacerbated by the driver. New Class A motorhome drivers often focus too close to the front of the coach because they are unused to the driving perspective of the high-forward front seat and are striving too hard to stay between the lines. Shifting your road gaze further down the highway will tend to make you drive straighter and not over-correct. Also, take note where the center line appears to intersect your dashboard when you are properly centered in the lane.Remember that spot so you can tell at a glance whether you are centered or not without studying the road or looking in the mirrors to see the center and side lines. You will driver straighter and truer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
You might ask Freightliner to check for slop in the steering gear as well. That can lead to the need for constant steering input/corrections as well.
Mine came from the factory with way too much slop in the steering gear. You might consider taking a road trip to the Freightliner factory in Gaffney, SC.

Best of Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote