RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

VIN Number Issue

I purchased, from a dealer, what I was told was a 2008 Damon Outlaw. Turns out, according to my VIN it is actually a 2007. Anyone every hear of such a thing?

Is there anyone out there that this has happened to?

All Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not at all uncommon for the chassis to be a previous model year from the coach. What does the title say? Whatever is on the title is the year of the coach.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

Thanks Podivin,

It was titled as a 2007. However, everything on my contract with the dealer calls it a 2008. sounds to me like I got taken.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Possibly. I'd say it's time for a call to the dealer to see what he says. Check the papers you signed at time of purchase, what does it say there? If 2008 then you might have some recourse, maybe get a wee bit of money back or something like that. If 2007 then you just got your hand slapped for not reading documents before you signed them.

Edit: I just reread what you posted up there, you said the contracts say 2008 - give them a call and see what they'll do for you.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

That would be great except the dealership is gone. Packed-up left town and ran off with a lot of people's money.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

Likely the DMV made a mistake in issuing the title, and based the title year on the partial vehicle VIN code year for the chassis, not the completed vehicle model year date of the coach, this happens a lot and can be a pain to straighten out, enough so that most people don't try fighting with the DMV about it.

Many class A coaches are built on the previous years chassis,it is a supply chain delay thing, this is very common and nothing to be concerned about unless their was major design change that year, like different engines or transmissions across the model years.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, at least you got your coach before he packed up and left.
My suspicion is that the difference between a 2007 and a 2008 is negligible (I'm assuming you bought it very recently).
So smile, go out and pat your coach on the flank and tell it you think it's a good ol' girl, even if it lied to you about it age so that you'd take it home with you.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

If you are still concerned about what you bought, go download the factory brochures and see if yours match the 07 or the 08 factory paint color schemes, most brands change a bit each year. If it looks like an 08 then it is an 08 from the factory, that as simply built on a left over 07 chassis.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Called a "split model year". By law it is supposed to be registered according to the final vehicle manufacturer and not the chassis year. RVIA used to have a page on their website about it and a phone number to call for help getting it straightened out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #10

All good advice and correct, as well.

You can simply find the vehicle sticker in your coach and it will tell you both the chassis build date and the completion date. You will then know if it was a DMV titling mistake (not uncommon) or a dealer misrepresentation.

Please do us a favor and report back what you find on your sticker/label. If it's a dealer misrepresentation, there's not much you can do. A DMV error can be corrected if you want to go that route, however, and it will be of value when you choose to sell.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #11

The vehicle VIN #5B4MPA7G073424752 with the 10th digit denoting the year of the vehicle year according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States, which standardized VIN 3's in 1989. The Unit No. of the vehicle is 08A3612ONF268, and as you can see denotes the year (08), Class (A) Coach, and Model (3612) but in no way the year of the vehicle itself as this number is not even long enough for a VIN of 17 digits.

As for an incomplete chassis vin, there would also be a tenth digit denoting the year.
My 2005 had a 16 digit chassis serial no. with the tenth digit denoting the year (5) and the 17 digit Vin # also showing the 10th digit as (5).

I don't see how the DMV or anyone else who ran the VIN # could possibly error in counting to the tenth digit and identifying the corresponding year, can you?
Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Problem of year continues and is not uncommon. In Nov 2016 I ordered a motorhome, delivered Apr 2017. Bill of sale showed 2018 model, chassis showed built oct 2016, motorhome manufacturer ( when contacted) showed it as 2017. DMV (in Canada) used chassis date of 2016 but after much debate eventually went with 2017. I feel the dealer was very misleading but water under the bridge....life is too short......
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Joy View Post
Thanks Podivin,

It was titled as a 2007. However, everything on my contract with the dealer calls it a 2008. sounds to me like I got taken.
You did not get "taken". It is a very common occurance with RVs because the chassis model year change date almost never "matches" with the date the coach builder changes their model year.

Most States will title an RV according to the coach builder's model year and not based on the "incomplete vehicle" (chassis) vin #, which can be 1 or 2 years "older" then the final builder's model year.

Regardless, I doubt your situation makes much difference in the value of the rig, because the depreciation difference between a 12 YO and a 13 YO unit isn't much. If the dealer is gone, all you can do is ask the state to honor the final assembly model year, but I'm guessing that won't be fun. Why not just enjoy your new toy and forget your buyer's remorse?.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #14

Some where on this forum is a thread that does an excellent job of explaining this and how to possibly correct it. Searched and couldn't find the thread, maybe someone else here can help.

Manufacturers buy several chassis at a time. Often those bought late in the year are not converted to coaches till the following year. This was especially true during the economic downturn 2007-2008.

The manufacturers have a form they can issue (forget the name of the form but it is listed in the thread I mention above)

With this form some states will re issue your title with the correct year.

You weren't "taken" by the dealer but at the very least they should have explained this to you up front and a glance at the title at time of purchase would have alerted you to the discrepancy.

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote