Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
X2, Ohio requires a physical match up of VIN with Title also. The OP needs to either get the VIN verified/matched with title, or they'll have trouble down the road.

I Live in Ohio and bought from a Pa owner. When I changed the title to my name, I went to the Ohio DMV with the PA title signed and noterized. I paid the taxes and fees and they gave me a Ohio title without inspection. (The motorhome was 30 miles away). I went right next door to the License dept and bought plates. It makes me think, maybe I should have checked the VIN. I have never verified the vehicle to match the title.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #16

I suggest looking for the engine serial number and having Spartan look up the corresponding VIN.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One comment on chassis and vehicle vins being different..

When Damon built my Intruder, they "imported" as it were the Workhorse VIN, so if you do a vin break down it says "Workhorse custom chassis" not Damon.

Some companies however will assign their VIN to the motor home (And of course leave the chassis maker's vin on the chassis) thus when you do a vin break down you find "RV manufactuer, Make, Model" and such . On the forums there have been several examples of this. Enough to make me think Damon, using the Workhorse vin for the whole house, is the exception rather than the rule.

Thus I'd not be too upsed over conflicting vins on a motor home.

BUT I WOULD LOOK INTO IT.

The "House" manufacturer should be able to tell you what the vin of the entire vehicle is based on the vin of the chassis. Key word.. **SHOULD** never a guarantee.

Could be worse.. I still recall a car, properly registered per the computer.. but the title was reported stolen.. and so it was. (Actually Several cars that way were discovered thanks to a dispatcher who went the extra inch, not mile, inch (About 4 of them).
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #18

update

Thanks for all the input. Here is an update. Our DMV in Alabama requires VIN verification. The VIN does not match the VIN on the chassis because they had two different manufaturers and at the time it was not necessary. The dealership said that Spartan told them they stamp the last 5 digits of the motorcoach VIN on the chassis near the front axle somewhere. They claim this should be enough to get a tag but then we would still have trouble trying to sell it. They also stated that if our DMV won't take the partial VIN then we would have to drive back to St Augustine Florida to get a title in that state and pay taxes of course to just turn around and come to Alabama and do the same thing. They are really not interested in making this right at all. Either way we are out time and money and the use of our motorhome. They did confess that this is not the first time this has happened, although "it is very rare". They said they usually catch it before they sell it and get the VIN plates replaced before selling it. But alas, I am still looking at a very large lawn ornament for the moment. I will keep you posted. Any advice is appreciated.
JennGresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #19

It looks like you have the info to proceed. After you get the last five digits of the VIN from the front of the chassis you will know if it matches your title. If so you are home free. If not you need to see if your MH manufacturer assigned a new VIN to the vehicle and if it matches your title. If neither of those work then the dealer has a major problem and you probably need a lawyer. I am betting that the first two options will work fine.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Commercial Member

in arizona, the dmv does a visual verification of vin and then runs it thru their system for any problems. only then do they issue an arizona title. having spent a large protion of my life in alabama, i can tell you that there is a wild west attitude among some dealers. they do whatever it takes to sell a car or rv, and then try to pan the problems off on they buyer. a call to the alabama attorney generals office and their fraud division will get some results. also you may try the secretary of state. the dealer has a clear legal obligation to provide you a clean usable title to the vehicle, and the ability to license it. it is their responsibility, not yours. the better business bureau can also help. the squeaky wheel get the grease. the louder the better.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #21

I recently titled and tagged a Damon Daybreak in Alabama with the coach setting at home. No mention of needing to verify the vin at the DMV. Just lucky I guess. I would make lots of noise all over the state as suggested by others if it was me. Good luck.
rjdelapp is offline   Reply With Quote