Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vinyl Floor Tile

Has anyone installed a self adhesive type vinyl floor tile over an existing vinyl floor? I'm thinking about going over the existing kitchen floor with a leveling/underlayment compound and then installing peel and stick type 12" vinyl tiles. This is the way Lowes installed the new floor in my house, although it was sheet vinyl, not tiles.
jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would not recommend the peel & stick type in an RV. They will shift around with the road vibration and flexing that all RVs endure. In my opinion it is very likely that gaps will open between the tiles, no matter what you do. Instead, use a sheet vinyl, or luxury vinyl planks, either floating or glued. The better grades of plank interlock firmly and cannot slip apart. The cheaper planks use glued seams and those have the same risk as peel & stick.

If you want a glued-down floor, use a commercial grade flooring adhesive. Much stronger adhesion than the peel & stick stuff. The peel & stick stays down well enough, but is surprisingly easy to shift sideways, even years later. I learned that the hard way, at the school of hard knocks!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dittos to Gary's statement. I've seen it happen.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #4

One of the flooring folks we talked to while looking for replacement vinyl for ours strongly suggest to not use stick down vinyl, but to use floating instead.
He said that in an area that is not climate controlled that there will be issues from the vinyl expanding and contracting with temp and humidity changes, not just from the shifting of the coach.
That seemed like a good suggestion to us, so now we're limiting our choices to floating vinyl. We've found a 'premium' vinyl that locks together, and has cork glued to the bottom for extra comfort - which we assume will also give a little extra sound barrier.
If/when we find the right color, that will be the style we go with.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can glue down a quality vinyl plank using a good urethane type adhesive.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

I originally replaced my carpet with vinyl peel and stick planks. I did have small gaps open between the ends of the planks but more than anything I thought it was too much "wood" look. I went over the vinyl planks with luxury vinyl peel and stick tiles that Lowes sells. These tiles were groutable and that is what I did. I have been happy with the performance and look. I think the grouting makes up for the expansion or contraction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment rv floor.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	115857  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
looks good
Old 01-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
I originally replaced my carpet with vinyl peel and stick planks. I did have small gaps open between the ends of the planks but more than anything I thought it was too much "wood" look. I went over the vinyl planks with luxury vinyl peel and stick tiles that Lowes sells. These tiles were groutable and that is what I did. I have been happy with the performance and look. I think the grouting makes up for the expansion or contraction.
That does look good! Does it use a conventional grout or what?
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not used self stuck vinyl tile in a RV but have in sticks and bricks, with poor outcomes. I would not use in a RV environment.

We had sheet vinyl installed in the PA. The installer used leveling compound to fill the zillion of nail holes from carpet nailing strips and other imperfections, also used to smooth transition and went right over the existing kitchen vinyl. We are extremely pleased with the final outcome and the price. Search my username for a thread with details and pictures.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

Thanks for the compliments. The tiles are Lowes #356538 and the grout is 259327. Not a flooring expert so I don't know if the grout differs from conventional or not but it is premixed in (Qt.?) containers and says grout for luxury vinyl tile. The tile says something to the effect of not to be used over OSB, which is of course what I have. I did treat the OSB with Henry 336 Bond Enhancer for self stick tiles. Bought it at Lowes but it doesn't show up in their search, however it does at Home Depot. Don't know if it matters but I will mention that I do keep my rig plugged in with the thermostat set at 85(cooling) in FL. so the unit is not faced with temperature extremes. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

Used the luxury vinyl in mine .Love the look, however mine is exposed to temperature changes and in cold weather the grout does open a bit an closes in warmer weather. the grout is more elastic than standard grout and stays in place but does show fine cracks in cooler weather. Don't think I would use it again but will not be replacing it anytime soon as our use is in warmer weather and cracks are closed
Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

This looks really nice!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
any trouble with slideout going in and out ?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No pics?

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote