Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Vinyl graphics...

First off, I just want to thank everyone for offering your advice. Our new to us motorhome has vinyl graphics that is faded and is cracking. Looking for an inexpensive solution. First thought was having a vinyl sign company make and install new ones or just remove them altogether. Painting the coach, I assume is probably going to be really expensive so that's out of the question for the time being.

And as always, thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #2

I also am in the prosess of removing the vinyl strips and graphics from my MH Lots of work!!!! I am doing a little at a time and replacing the vinyl with paint. 3M makes wheels that mount to a drill that removes the graphics without harming the paint. 3M also makes a larger wheel that mounts to a variable speed buffer that works quicker but takes more work. When you remove the vinyl, you will find the gelcoat under the vinyl has darkend and there is no way to fix other than repaint. I took the MH to a good auto paint supply and they matched the colors very well

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
I also am in the prosess of removing the vinyl strips and graphics from my MH Lots of work!!!! I am doing a little at a time and replacing the vinyl with paint. 3M makes wheels that mount to a drill that removes the graphics without harming the paint. 3M also makes a larger wheel that mounts to a variable speed buffer that works quicker but takes more work. When you remove the vinyl, you will find the gelcoat under the vinyl has darkend and there is no way to fix other than repaint. I took the MH to a good auto paint supply and they matched the colors very well
Priced good quality automotive paint lately? A quart is going for $185 according to the shop that just repainted our awning damaged storage bays. Newmar uses something like 7 gallons the last I heard and that's on their lower end like our Dutch Star. The more expensive models get more coats and hand color sanding.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #4

Mr_D (wanted that name!) I get PPG omni system for $28 a quart. the reducer is $50 a gallon tho. Clear is $118 a gallon kit with activator. I mix about 3 oz of paint to do each color and clear all when done with base. I do about 10 feet of MH length at a time and use three different base colors. I had the paint shop mix extra flake and pearl into paint and the DH loves it
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paint is expensive, and labor is as well. Just bare in mind PPG omni system is their low end paint system, acrylic enamel. If you go to their Concept system, acrylic urethane you'll see their price go much higher and it can go much higher than that depending what paint is used.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

Has anyone tried applying new vinyl to their MH? Any idea if this is an option? Pricing? How does it look?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #7

I had my graphics replaced ,came out great,it was about 125 per stripe
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #8

When we were shopping for a motorhome we noticed that pretty much any unit over 5 years old that had graphics had some combination of fading and pealing. They looked terrible. When we ultimately decided on a new motorhome we had the graphics deleted.

In my view it is a much cleaner look and it will stay that way for a very long time.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Has anyone tried removing the frantically with a heat gun? I have used a heat gun to remove decals from aircraft, cars, and other pieces of equipment. If it works on the rv it would be much easier and less time consuming than the tool on a drill I would think.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Has anyone tried removing the frantically with a heat gun?.
Frantically should have been graphics. Stupid spell correct on my tablet.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
I had custom graphics created for our new trailer as it was being built, they are unique and were not particularly expensive but I kept it simple.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Decal

A good friend of mine owns a sign company that does all the lettering for the fleet of trucks for our work. He has in the past taken the stripes and decals on an existing RV and did a copy of them....removed the old ones and place the new ones directly where the old ones were...one thing he told me is make them 1/2 inch bigger...then any issues where the old ones were are covered up...much of the new materials used are better than anything 5 years old...I have one decal on the front of mine that he copied and we are changing in the spring...cost to me...45$ The one is in the pic I copied...previous owner must have had it facing the sun all the time from the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	29509  
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Has anyone tried removing the frantically with a heat gun? I have used a heat gun to remove decals from aircraft, cars, and other pieces of equipment. If it works on the rv it would be much easier and less time consuming than the tool on a drill I would think.
I have used a hair dryer...heat gun sometimes can be too hot..
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #14

Look up RV Vinyl graphics in Mesa AZ. I have a quote of around $2700.00 to remove and relace them. I have removed some myself and it is a lots of work. They really work with you there. There is also another shop in the Los Angeles area. They give you detailed info on removing on their Web.
Chuck