Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Temporarily remove vinyl under front cabinets

Hello all! Been lurking around the forums here for the past month. We just bought our first RV, a 2004 Damon Challenger 348F. We have been out every weekend since purchasing and have decided the TV above the dash must go!

Our plan is to remove the old CRT TV and modify the front cabinet so that it is flush with the other two small cabinets on either side.

We are going to run some RG6 from the front down to the passengers side where there is a (ugly) swivel chair. That chair will be removed and replaced with a credenza that will hold the new TV (and cat box).

My question right now is I need to remove that padded vinyl piece below the cabinets so that I can do the carpentry work and to route the RG6 out of that cabinet. Any ideas??

Thanks everyone!

patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Sounds like you've got yourself a project.
Have you removed the original TV?
When I changed out my original TV, the staples holding the vinyl on, were visible once the wood trim and old TV were removed.
Couple of different methods for securing the wood trim, either there are wings back from the trim, secured by screws in from the side cabinets or the TV has to be pushed back; about an inch; in it's surround, to expose angle brackets that hold the trim on.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Thanks!! I'll take a look when I get the frame off. But just got the chair unbolted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-487053335.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	44669  
Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Today I spent some time closing up the big hole that was left when I removed the old over dash TV. I was able to use the vinyl from the old TV surround to cover a new panel.

I glued and nailed a 1×2 across the opening to support the oak trim piece (which I am working on staining and finishing it and the door now) and to screw in the front edge of the panel.

To hold the backend of the panel (closest to the front window) I cut two brackets from 1×2 that are glued/nailed to the panel and rest on top of the existing overhead covering that was left after I removed the old TV surround.

Here is a look from my seat (Stephanie is driver extraordinaire!)

I am not planning on finishing the inside of the cabinet. We have so much storage now we really don’t need another finished space. I may mount my router and MiFi device in here when I actually purchase one. I think while I am at it I may also add another layer of insulation up there as well because there is a area that has no insulation at all…not sure why.

We still have not picked the cabinet to hold the new TV across from the sofa. We were thinking just a plain 30” base cabinet from Lowes or Home Depot but Stephanie wants to wait to see if we find something on our first few trips that is more fun. We will just use the bedroom TV in Tennessee.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Great job!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Finished!

I finally finished closing up the overhead where the old CRT TV was removed tonight.

I installed the oak trim piece on the bottom edge of the opening and then the new door panel.

Here are the before and after photos!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	47161   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	47162  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	47163  
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
You should be proud! That is really a good job and looks as good as factory. I think you said that you are not using the area for storage, but have you considered adding hardware to match the other two doors?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #8

I recently replaced the CRT with a flat panel LED TV. I also noticed the lack of insulation in the front cap. I bought an 8 foot slab of 4 inch thick foam and cut the width to fit in the cap behind the cabinets and TV location. I don't know how well it worked because we sold it a week later. Now I have to start over with CRT;s agaon. I have one ordered for the bedroom so our special needs son can watch his videos back there and mama can watch her shows after he goes to sleep.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Thanks tedgard01!

We are thinking about updating all the hardware in the coach to either chrome or brushed nickel. So once we decide if we are going to paint the existing or buy new will put a handle on it.