Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

voltage

Anybody know about what the average voltage is at different campgrounds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Average would be 30 amp and 50 amp with slight smaller average 50 amp. Older campgrounds have somewhat updated to 30amp but mostly likely 20amp

Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Rich,

Yes, it's different for each.

This is an unanswerable question. It depends on the region, the campground and the time of day in some campgrounds. This is one reason I carry a meter and confirm the voltage before I connect.

Matt
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Are you asking about what the battery monitor says inside the coach? Are you asking about what the voltage is off the pedestal? Are you asking about what plug to use (30 amp or 50 amp)?
The voltage you should have inside is 120 volts. Measure at the pedestal to make sure it stable. Less than 105 and you will have problems, more than 130 and again you will have problems. Problems like things needing to be replaced inside like the microwave.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The majority of the time the voltage inside my RV shows 117 - 120. I have seen it below 110.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Average would be 30 amp and 50 amp with slight smaller average 50 amp. Older campgrounds have somewhat updated to 30amp but mostly likely 20amp
This isn't voltage
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
This isn't voltage
What is voltage? 110 115 120 220 .You have to plug into something to get voltage. SORRY THAT I MISSED YOUR QUESTION!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post

Wow... A customer service rep (Your answer is quite correct but he ask about VOLTAGE.. Of course he may have meant to ask about amprage but he said Voltage).

Seriously.. Voltage is all over the map, I've seen 84 (Way too low) and 125 (Borderline high) and just about everything in between. That's on a 30 amp outlet.. I don't pay too much attention to the 240 volt measurement on a 50 amp outlet since onlyl the 120 volt measurements are improtant.

Anything below 110 should be approached with caution, below 105 needs correction before you use it. (or over 125 I might add)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Wow... A customer service rep (Your answer is quite correct but he ask about VOLTAGE.. Of course he may have meant to ask about amprage but he said Voltage).

Seriously.. Voltage is all over the map, I've seen 84 (Way too low) and 125 (Borderline high) and just about everything in between. That's on a 30 amp outlet.. I don't pay too much attention to the 240 volt measurement on a 50 amp outlet since onlyl the 120 volt measurements are improtant.

Anything below 110 should be approached with caution, below 105 needs correction before you use it. (or over 125 I might add)
Again I am humbly apologetic. I was only trying to help.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trackman.. Your post was accurate and very likely did help.. It just does not match the subject is all.

To the original poster... You also need to do some "real time monitoring" I have a couple voltmeters hooked to different circuits in this motor home.

As I said, one park I visit I have seen voltage below 90 at the pedestal.. I had something a bit better inside (THANK you Hughes Autoformer) and thus was OK.

That park, I might add, is getting worse every year since they really need to re-wire that section.

But I would be hard pressed to tell you the average voltage.. My Televisions and radios (Both Ham and Broadcast) are all protected by both the Hughes and by a Prosine 2.0 inverter (Kind of a giant UPS) that monitors voltage, frequency and waveform and will take over in a flash if there is a problem.

And I have seen it kicking in when Air conditioners start up too.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Usually, I see voltages in the 110 to 125 volt range. But there are times when I've seen much more or less than that.

Checking the power before plugging in (and looking at a plug-in meter periodically) helps. I've seen the voltage dip down to around 100 (dangerously low) which if it's going to happen, it usually happens in the middle of a hot day when everyone is running their air conditioner. So being vigilant in watching the meters may help.

But better than a meter, is a system that constantly monitors voltage (and other potential electrical issues) and automatically cuts power if anything is out of range. While it's not fun to have the power suddenly cut off in the middle of a hot day (stopping the air conditioner) it's better than burning up the air conditioner because the voltage got dangerously low.

The systems also help in the opposite situation: For one weekend, power was strong and healthy all day while people were running their air conditioners. As night came, people turned off many loads, including their air conditioners as the temperature fell. Well, the voltage starting rising. Shortly after going to bed, I was surprised that the power went out. Upon investigation, it turned out that the monitor system cut the power because the voltage was getting too high. I got up in the middle of the night a couple times, and checked the voltage when I did - the voltage got above 140 volts, that's dangerously high! I'm sure glad that the system automatically protects me, because I doubt I would've been looking at a plug-in meter after I had gone to bed, which is when the problems really started to happen.

I don't know why this thread was originally started. If the OP is trying to figure out if there really are wide variations in power, perhaps trying to decide if a protection system is warranted, then I can personally attest that bad power is indeed out there. Checking power pedestals, and monitoring voltage is a must. An automated system (I have the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C with a display inside, and another one in the electrical compartment) is wonderful, and I highly recommend one. But if it's just not in the budget, then a plug-in meter is better than nothing, but it's worthless if you don't look at it. And if you have a 50 amp coach, remember that there are two hot lines coming in - if you only have one plug-in meter, you're only checking half the power: you need two meters and you need to find an appropriate pair of outlets, so that you have one on each leg.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6111 View Post

Anybody know about what the average voltage is at different campgrounds?
I am assuming that you are most likely not asking the correct question for the information you are really trying to find out.

But here goes anyway. The average voltage in ANY campground should be 120 VAC.

However, what you actually receive is another story. When traveling all over the NA continent, I have been in places that were below 100 and above 133.

I took care of the low voltage problems by installing a PowerMaster VC-50. Now I don't worry about too low voltage screwing up my electrical systems. Regarding the places that have too high, I have solved that problem too by installing a Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C that constantly monitors the quality of the incoming electric power including voltage that is too high. Once it goes over 102, it automatically severs power to the coach preventing any possible damage to my electrical systems.

I highly recommend both.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Once it goes over 102, it automatically severs power to the coach preventing any possible damage to my electrical systems.
Oops, I think you meant to say 132, not 102.

The progressive EMS cuts voltages below 104, and above 132.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trackman.. Your post was accurate and very likely did help.. It just does not match the subject is all.

To the original poster... You also need to do some "real time monitoring" I have a couple voltmeters hooked to different circuits in this motor home.

As I said, one park I visit I have seen voltage below 90 at the pedestal.. I had something a bit better inside (THANK you Hughes Autoformer) and thus was OK.

That park, I might add, is getting worse every year since they really need to re-wire that section.

But I would be hard pressed to tell you the average voltage.. My Televisions and radios (Both Ham and Broadcast) are all protected by both the Hughes and by a Prosine 2.0 inverter (Kind of a giant UPS) that monitors voltage, frequency and waveform and will take over in a flash if there is a problem.

And I have seen it kicking in when Air conditioners start up too.