Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

Voltage gauge fluctuates high/Low

2000 HR with Cummins Engine, new/rebuilt alternator. When the batteries are low and the alternator appears to be putting out. The battery indicator on the dash lights up and the gauge above the dash indicates 14.2 but drops down to around 12.3 then jumps back to 14.2. this happens every 10/15 seconds. Voltage going into the isolator from the alternator reads around 15.3. on the other side of the isolator going into both battery banks voltage is 14.2. I have not checked the voltage from the alternator to the isolator to see if it is also fluctuating but I will next time Im at the MH. Any ideas what could cause this fluctuation?
Rehbergl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure the shop that did the rebuild was a reputable one and the alternator was rebuilt correctly?

That's the first place I would check since it wasn't doing it prior to the rebuild.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
If the voltage at the batteries are a steady 14.2 with the engine running but the dash gauge is fluctuating then the connection to the dash gauge would be suspect.

At least, you are then getting the correct charging effect from the alternator to the batteries.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I think before blaming the alternator or rebuilder it would be prudent to clip another meter to the circuit and VERIFY that it is a REAL voltage fluctuation and not a loose connection to the dashboard gauges or a bad ground. You might also remove, inspect, and clean all battery connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Another vote on Alternator, or it's connection to the battery bank. A bad connection to the gauges wouldn't coincidentally read 12.3V (the battery voltage), it would likely drop to zero. Have fun chasing!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Thanks for your input, I will do as you suggest and check the connections. Is there a chance there is a bad solenoid somewhere is the circuit? Would a bad diode in the alternator act like this?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Keep in mind that the voltage drop thru the isolator is about a 1/2 volt.
Does your system use a out board regulator if so that might be your problem.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

Not sure what a out board regulator is. I have a Big Boy ( or at least I think I do) attched to the isolator and that controles the boost between the two banks
Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
You either have a internal regulator a part of the alternator or you have a alternator
that uses a out board regulator.
You say you have a isolator and that allows two or more batteries to be charged with
neither battery or banks of batteries being effected by the other ie the reason it is called a isolator.
You need to find out if the alternator has either a internal or external regulator.
A flaky regulator will cause the problems you indicate as will several of the items
others have posted.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

Again, thanks eveyone, I will run the test you suggest and see what I get. I do have an internal regulator so am am leaning toward a bad alternator.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehbergl View Post
Thanks for your input, I will do as you suggest and check the connections. Is there a chance there is a bad solenoid somewhere is the circuit? Would a bad diode in the alternator act like this?
Could be a solinoid but I hope one is not installed. I too think a regulator problem may be there. Do you have a fl chassis? If so my voltmeter went to 0 and turned out to be the vdc. Look up vdc on rv2. A bad diode would cause your alternator to scream while charging as the load is no longer the same throughout the revs.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if I understand correctly you have a isolator that allows the regulator to charge both battery banks. The very easy check to make is to disconnect the isolator from the charging system. Start the engine with only the chassis batteries in circuit. See if the problem still exists. If not your alternator is ok and the problem is with the isolator or the coach batteries.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what is the temperature where you are at

I recall going through this same problem, possibly on another forum, but the same engine and year. It was determined that, If it is below 50 degrees the voltage will change as the preheater comes on and off.

after a few minutes it should stabilize. my meter does the same thing. 14 plus then it drops then it goes up then it drop - eventually it stays at 14
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #14

Same for me. During cold weather, this happens for about 2 minutes, engine warms up then stabilizes. I had it checked out this past December and it was the preheater doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I recall going through this same problem, possibly on another forum, but the same engine and year. It was determined that, If it is below 50 degrees the voltage will change as the preheater comes on and off.

after a few minutes it should stabilize. my meter does the same thing. 14 plus then it drops then it goes up then it drop - eventually it stays at 14
Tankd is offline   Reply With Quote