Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Voltage issues 2014 Vista 30T

Last few days I have had trouble starting the engine in my RV. I have had to use the booster switch. Assumed the batteries were dying, but tested fine with a load tester.
I suspect a faulty solinoid that has something to do with connecting/ disconnecting the batteries is faulty.
Also the generator starts then stops when I release the rocker start switch. Then will immediately start when I push the rocker switch again, and stop when I release it. Sometimes it would continue to run if I kept the booster switch pushed.
I immediately suspected the batteries but have tested them several times.

I do suspect something simple but can not put my finger on it.

Looking forward to some expert advice!

Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
When electrical things do not function properly, you should check the battery voltage at that point. If the voltage source is good, then you have a bad circuit. Check for a bad ground if this is the case. If not then you will need to find the cause of the current flow. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. I do not see the problem as an earth problem as I get power to the dash with the booster switch engaged. Also the steps don't work until the engine is running with the booster switch engaged.
There must be a relay / solinoid that is normally closed but in my case is opening, killing voltage to the chassis side. I hold the booster switch in, get the engine running, then perhaps everything is running on the alternator power. BUT I still have good voltage in the start battery.

Last night I disconnected the house batteries and the engine started one time on the key so the chassis battery had to be connected, but then would not start again until I reconnected the house batteries and used the booster switch. I shut down the engine, disconnected and tested the chassis battery and it is still fully charged and fine.

Can anyone produce a schematic on the wiring?

Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
Thanks. I do not see the problem as an earth problem as I get power to the dash with the booster switch engaged. Also the steps don't work until the engine is running with the booster switch engaged.
There must be a relay / solinoid that is normally closed but in my case is opening, killing voltage to the chassis side. I hold the booster switch in, get the engine running, then perhaps everything is running on the alternator power. BUT I still have good voltage in the start battery.

Last night I disconnected the house batteries and the engine started one time on the key so the chassis battery had to be connected, but then would not start again until I reconnected the house batteries and used the booster switch. I shut down the engine, disconnected and tested the chassis battery and it is still fully charged and fine.

Can anyone produce a schematic on the wiring?

Pete
You can find your schematics on Winnabegos home page
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #5

It does sound like a bad ground on the chassis side. I would start by removing, cleaning and reinstalling the ground connection at the starting battery. Then move on to the other ground connections if that doesn't do it.

When you engage the booster switch, maybe the chassis circuit is finding the ground on the house circuit? That is why you then get power to the dashboard, stairs and generator. When you release it - bad ground.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When you measure your voltage with a voltmeter on your chassis batteries, do it first with the voltmeter leads on the battery posts, then do it again with the positive lead on the battery post and the negative lead on the metal frame of the coach. See if there is any difference, and also try it with a current load, such as maybe the headlights drawing current.

If you have a difference in voltage between those two measurements, then your battery ground has a resistance somewhere. Could be loose, could be corrosion inside the wire sheathing, could be some rust buildup where it attaches to the frame, etc.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote