Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vortex 8.1 vs Triton?

Vortex 8.1 vs Triton? How do they compare for mpg, power, etc. Which is better motor for a 37 foot MH? Both paired with a workhorse chassis.
Sorry, shouldn't use mpg and MH in the same paragraph.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp44 View Post
Vortex 8.1 vs Triton? How do they compare for mpg, power, etc. Which is better motor for a 37 foot MH? Both paired with a workhorse chassis.
Welcome to iRV2.com !!!

Thanks for the question.

Given the Vortec 8.1L engine is superior to the current 3V V10 engine that you will see in Ford Super Duty motorhomes right now. This does not come from me as an opinion but from reliable resources that have chassis dynomometers.

The problem that you may have is that there aren't anymore NEW 8.1L Vortec engines. The only show in town at this time is going to be the Ford Triton 3V V10 engine.

Comparing both engines right now is a moot point since GM is no longer building the 8.1L engine. If you can find a new 2010 Workhorse 8.1L engine on the lot some where I would say drive it and drive a Super Duty and compare the both.

Your impressions may lead to buy the Triton or the Vortec but the decision is ultimately yours.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the information. I have found a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer 37' with the Vortec engine. Test driving it tomorrow. Also driving a 34' DP with a 340 hp Cummings. Cost difference is about 40K and I am having trouble justifying that much difference.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have found a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer 37' with the Vortec engine. Test driving it tomorrow. Also driving a 34' DP with a 340 hp Cummings. Cost difference is about 40K and I am having trouble justifying that much difference.
don't even test drive the diesel because you are going to love It and you going to go for It and the wife may not be happy for the extra 40k just kiding, I have owned a winnebago adventurer It was a older one (99) and I now have a 06 discovery diesel pusher and the difference is just out of this world the air suspension and the air brakes and the big one is the big v10 engine screaming and creating a crazy amount of heat, you just do what you think is right for you but this is just my opinion, I spend the money on a gas powered and six months later I had to get a diesel pusher, good luck making your decision, Joe.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is not exactly apple to apples, because the two coaches I will reference had 2400 lbs diference in weight. The lighter coach a 1998 Sea View had the Ford Chassis with the 275 hp V10. The other is a 2006 Sea Breeze with the 8.1 Vortac. most of my driving is around SoCal and AZ.
I never noticed any real difference with hill climbing between the two. I drove the Grapevine on I5 a lot in both directions. If other traffic does not interfer either coach will maintain about 55 mph without high revs. I also climb the hill West of Needles CA on I40 a lot, performance about the same. I never had to rev the V10 much higher than the 8.1, (about 4500 rpm on either). My V10 was actually quieter and amoother at high revs. Just my opinion, I know the 8.1 lovers will say I'm crazy, but I'm sticking with it.

Glenn
Old 05-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Surely that $40K includes lots more than just the engine and drivetrain?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry, shouldn't use mpg and MH in the same paragraph.
I don't think they are both on a Workhorse chassis though. Workhorse has been strictly GM, not Ford.

My Brother-in-law has the V10. It works well but it's needs higher revs to get the power than the Vortec. Unfortunately, the Vortec is no more. It's just to tough to meet emissions on large diameter pistons. But, it sure is easy to make lots of torque.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before I made my choice (8.1), I drove both. Both got the job done, but the RPM's on the V10 were a lot higher going up the hills at the same speed. The 8,1 has better torque down low. It is probably the closest thing in gas to a diesel in characteristics, IMO. I preferred those characteristics to the V10.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Test driving it tomorrow. Also driving a 34' DP with a 340 hp Cummings. Cost difference is about 40K and I am having trouble justifying that much difference.
gp44, How did the test drives go ????
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the help. Nice to hear opinions from those with experience. Test drives went very well. Both engines had enough torque and hp to get the job done.
Actually, you were correct, the 34 footer dp is on a freightliner chassis not the workhorse. Both coaches performed well with the dp having a smoother ride but overall they were close. The dp has roughly the same options as the gas as both are well equipped but the gas mh is 3 feet longer and has a bath and a half. Per the brains of this outfit, that is a very desirable option. That plus the 40K difference makes me lean toward the gas. Either way, I can't go wrong and we are looking forward to getting set up and on the road.
Thanks again for all your help and for the welcome to the group.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. Nice to hear opinions from those with experience. Test drives went very well. Both engines had enough torque and hp to get the job done.
Actually, you were correct, the 34 footer dp is on a freightliner chassis not the workhorse. Both coaches performed well with the dp having a smoother ride but overall they were close. The dp has roughly the same options as the gas as both are well equipped but the gas mh is 3 feet longer and has a bath and a half. Per the brains of this outfit, that is a very desirable option. That plus the 40K difference makes me lean toward the gas. Either way, I can't go wrong and we are looking forward to getting set up and on the road.
Thanks again for all your help and for the welcome to the group.
My son-in-law made the gas/diesel decision for me when he said if I got gas I got a mechanic; if I got diesel, I was on my own! So far I have done all the maintenance on our 8.1L/Allison driveline myself. Maintenance cost compared to what I hear from our DP WIT Buds is way less on my gas coach! Once we retire and go fulltime, and I'm no longer able to crawl around under the coach, I'll go with a DP, but for now we are very happy with our gas coach!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #12

We have a 2008 F53 Triton V10. No complaints about power or drivability. Our gas mileage is 7.5 miles per US gallon - it rarely varies over the course of a tank.

Ford has been making variants of this engine for more than 15 years in large pickups, delivery vans and MHs. Most Ford dealers know how to service this drivetrain.

I think a $40K premium for a DP is a low estimate but that's just me comparing the options that matter to us. DP's have air suspension that adds cost and complexity. Air brakes and diesel fuel add a few more concerns to the mix. Many DP owners take pride in mastering these things - just be prepared.

We use our MH as a "camper". We do weekend trips in the summer, with 2 kids and dog. Most trips are less than 300 miles both ways. A gasser may not be as comfortable as a DP when moving, but we really don't drive very far. Once we are parked, things are roughly equal although our rig is 'only' 35' long. The dog will have to sleep outside :-)

With the F53, I can do much of the maintenance myself. There is lots of ground clearance underneath. In many cases, working on a gas MH is easier than a car. Fuel stabilizer and an oil change is all that I need to do to the drivetrain before storing for the winter.

DP's are great but they are not the only choice. We will be driving a F53 gasser for quite some time.