Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Walkway for Washing Windshield

Here's a picture off a rail I added to my generator slide that gives me something to walk on to wash the windshield. I originally was going to add some expanded steel to make it wider, but this has worked well. I also added a small step that helps me get up.
Thought this may be something some of you may want to try if you have a generator slide.
Between the original frame that holds the fiberglass front and the added rail, it's quite easy move around and reach entire windshield.
It's only about 4' up, but if I ever fall off, I'm sure I'll wish I just used the telescoping pole, but until then:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	188553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	188554  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #2

Climbing up on things like this are no longer in my thought process. I use my Norwex Kitchen Cloth, an extend a pole and a bucket of warm water. I can likely have mine done before you get the generator out and back in place.

No offence but for me it's not a problem that needs solving.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

Dennis, you have no idea how fast my generator slide is.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
... nice idea, glad it works for you.

Your gen-set slide maybe fast, but I bet I can fall and bust my *** faster!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like that idea. I still pull out the ladder each time I wash the windshield. I just don't get it as clean as I like with a poll cleaner. My current coach has no generator slide, but debating new coach that will. I could see a flip up grab bar to steady the step climb.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

When I climb up, I put right foot on the bottom slide rail, left foot on the step, right foot on top of gen., then left foot on the rails, all the time hanging onto the windshield wiper shaft. Works very well. While standing I get to lean on the windshield for stability. I use a spray bottle, bug scrubber sponge and towel to dry off. The part I really like is that I can run my hand on the glass as I use the sponge and feel any small particles still attached to the windshield. Lets me get it cleaner than I ever did with a pole.
Quite often have a small audience to see if I'm going to fall off or not. Then usually someone comes to see what I was walking on.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #7

I too like the pole. To clean I use a soft brush and scrubber for bugs on one pole then a windshield wiper mounted 90 degrees to a another pole to squeegee. The windshield wiper follows the curve of the windshield except for the tight radius on each side.

If I really want it clean i use 4 ought steel wool on an orbital sander, with a ladder.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I like that idea. I still pull out the ladder each time I wash the windshield. I just don't get it as clean as I like with a poll cleaner. My current coach has no generator slide, but debating new coach that will. I could see a flip up grab bar to steady the step climb.
Hello,
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I did not realize the Dutch Star does not have a gen slide and I too am in the process of looking for a new RV, what are you looking for as the Dutch Star is pretty nice and is in fact what we are looking for?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #9

My concern about doing this would be about the design specs of the slide rails and rollers. Since I don't have those, I'd have to wonder if the slide components are spec'ed to handle another 200 lbs of weight levered out front. The further out the weight is on the lever arm holding it, the more effect the weight has on the system.

If the added wear and tear on the slide mechanism caused damage down the road, it would far outweigh all the "convenience" this seems to offer.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I'm with fottip..... All that extra weight just CAN'T be good for the gen slide mechanism....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #11

Thanks for voicing your concern, but if we want to get real technical here, I'll lever just a little over 200# on the front of the slide.

Doing a comparison, if the metal my retracting door steps are made out of will handle a 200 to 300# person on them, then 200# on the metal the gen. slide is made of will be no issue.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #12

I've got a 38' Dutch Star 1999 that has a generator slide-out, I guess that it is just the particular model. Mine IS a DP, so that might have something to do with it.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Doing a comparison, if the metal my retracting door steps are made out of will handle a 200 to 300# person on them, then 200# on the metal the gen. slide is made of will be no issue.
The comparison isn't apples to apples - the steps are designed to be "stepped on" - the generator slide isn't, and the steps have no rollers, as do the generator slide rails.

The concern is based on the fact that you don't know how close to their design weight limit the generator slide components are. Most of us recognize that our RVs aren't known for being "overbuilt", structurally speaking. I try to treat our generator slides gently when I'm just extending and retracting them as intended.

At any rate, good luck with your DIY engineering project.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote