Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Walmart Kool Seal

I am going to put a coat on my roof and saw this product advertized at Walmart for 19 dollars a gallon. AMazon they are selling it for 70. anyone ever use it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
I am going to put a coat on my roof and saw this product advertized at Walmart for 19 dollars a gallon. AMazon they are selling it for 70. anyone ever use it?
Got a link to the actual product at Walmart ???

Old 04-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Yes, it works great. Kool Seal is a respected brand of elastomeric roof coating. I tried a "house brand" from Menard's years back on our old Winnie, and it was junk. Redid it with the Kool Seal and it did a better job with half the material.

We use it every few years on our current fiberglass roof.

Linkie
Old 04-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kool-Seal is Recommended for:Metal, concrete, foam, brick, flat cement tile, barrel cement tile and aged aluminum coatings. Kool Seal White Elastomeric Roof Coating - Walmart.com
If you have a rubber roof you'll need primer first and then at least to coats of the coating. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Kool-S...p/kool-rrp.htm

If you have a rubber roof, I recommend EPDM. Less labor and easier to apply. It costs more, does not need more than one coat, and does not require a primer. It's thick and comes with a warrantee. It is DIY and I just put it on my RV. It is like a 30 mill rubber blanket covering my entire roof. EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks
http://www.epdmcoatings.com/document...iquid-roof.pdf
Old 04-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CW also sells it.. I have used it.. But it was long ago.. Worked but it was not used on an RV.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

It must be very clean and also primed first. Watch for bubbles later on and repair them.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There are two (or more) varieties of Kool Seal, one for metal and tile roofs and another, Kool Seal RV, for rubber roofs. There is also a primer that can be applied that allows the metal & tile type to be used on rubber roofs.

RV Rubber Roof Primer and Top Coat System - PPL Motor Homes
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
just put some of it on top of my rv. 36' long and took ~5 gallons to do 4 coats. I bought it in the gallon pails rather than the 5 gallon one as the stuff gets too thick and sticky in the 5 gallon pail after a day or so.

You have to make sure you put it on in the morning and it has all day to dry. If the night dew puddles up or the A/C's puddle up on it before it drys it wont ever cure. I had to wipe a couple areas off the next morning and reapply it. But after that it was fine.

Use a 1/4" knapp roller and dont go over it more than once or twice. It's not paint and it will stick to the roller as it cures and you'll end up with a ton of ripples in it. Just let it dry and put another coat on then. 3 or 4 thin coats is way better than 2 thick rippled coats.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:40 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post

If you have a rubber roof, I recommend EPDM. Less labor and easier to apply. It costs more, does not need more than one coat, and does not require a primer. It's thick and comes with a warrantee. It is DIY and I just put it on my RV. It is like a 30 mill rubber blanket covering my entire roof. EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks
http://www.epdmcoatings.com/document...iquid-roof.pdf
X2 I used it on my 5er over 5 years ago still looks like it did the day after I did it. The 5er is outside year round in northern AZ at 6,100 ft elevation. Goes through winter snow, freezing temperatures, summer monsoons, and sun. An added benefit, the coating doesn't grow the black mold like the EPDM roof does. I'm going to use it on my MOHO next year.

Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Doggy Daddy[/B]]f you have a rubber roof, I recommend EPDM. Less labor and easier to apply. It costs more, does not need more than one coat, and does not require a primer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
X2 I used it on my 5er over 5 years ago still looks like it did the day after I did it. The 5er is outside year round in northern AZ at 6,100 ft elevation. Goes through winter snow, freezing temperatures, summer monsoons, and sun. An added benefit, the coating doesn't grow the black mold like the EPDM roof does. I'm going to use it on my MOHO next year.

Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings
clarification...

Quote:
If you know the entire history of your roof great; however, if you are a 2nd or even a 3rd owner you may not know what other products were put on the roof over its lifetime. In these instances we highly suggest priming those roofs with the ProFlex primer. This insures an acceptable substrate for the Liquid Roof.
Liquid Roof Application Instructions
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
The key to a long lasting roof is Primer, 4" seam tape and a quality roof coating, the key is getting rid of the self leveling caulking, lap sealant...
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our HR has a aluminum roof. Would this stuff do any good on an aluminum roof?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #13

I checked the can read the small print.. " not to be used on rubber roofs"
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
mff

koolcoat

Home - Radiant Barrier Paint | Radiant Barriers Coating | KOOLCOAT
Used this on my metal roof- very satisfied.
Mixed it with elastomeric paint from Lowes

Tags
seal