Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #1

Wandering Motorhome

I have a 1990 Rockwood 33ft it tends to wonder extremely on the highway. has anyone had similar experience? If so what was or is the solution?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

Wandering condition , where to start?
First do you have your corner weights and have your tires at the correct pressure?
Are the front tires in good condition and showing no signs of un-usual wear.?
Has the front suspension and steering linkages been checked?
Alignment done?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

My 1990 Superchief wandered quit a bit, especially after I got new tires. They put max pressure at 110 psi. I didn't think i would make it home. Adjusted air pressure and was better. I decided to get an alignment. The shop inspected the entire front end before they would do alignment. I had two control arms that were worn. Everything else was good including bell cranks and bushings. They adjusted replaced control arms, set air pressure, and aligned and it drove great. Now I'll let you know that the previous owner had installed new bell cranks, front and rear sway bars, and safe steer for the front end. Therefore there wasn't much left for me to do.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good advice so far. Especially with a vintage rig, make sure you methodically go about troubleshooting the wander problem before just throwing after market parts at it.

I had to add a steering stabilizer to my new 40DP but had everything else checked out by experts first.

Best of Luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Assuming all of the other suspension, shocks, ball joints, alignment, tire pressure, etc. is in good shape, if your "Wander", is tail wag (side-to-side rear movement requiring steering correction), the first step is to install a Panhard bar (Track bar). Fine tuning can be done by the various steering stabilizers on the market, and additional or bigger sway bars improve stability. However, none of these other products will correct the tendency of a solid axle leaf spring rear suspension to exhibit tail wag. It's just the nature of the design, especially if the RV has some age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
I have a 1990 Rockwood 33ft it tends to wonder extremely on the highway. has anyone had similar experience? If so what was or is the solution?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

I had to replace the shocks on mine, they were the Originals on a 10 year old motorhome at the time. They were badly worn replacing them made a big difference in the way it handled. And new steer tires helped also.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #7

If your water tank is in the rear try running with it empty. I know on mine when its full of water it drives totally different than when its empty.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

Do you pull a trailer?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #9

Skip426 I do not have the corner weights, yet. tires are 80 psi all the way around.Tires are in good condition with no unusual wear.I checked the front end control parts and with the exception of a lot of play in the steering box all else checks good.The alignment hasn't been checked but with no front tire wear I didn't think it necessary. I could be wrong, it might be time for a pro to take a gander. Thanks for the input.

Robertandkim Thanks it's my next step.

RickO Thanks

George Schweikle I'll keep this and check on it after I have the frontend checked.

Chaffeekid Mine is 14+ and they look original.

89sandman Water-tank is in the center but thanks for the input.

BA-in-Mich No trailer yet need to get the wandering issue handled first.

Thanks to all this is all valuable advise and I will use it.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #10

It took about 2000 miles for me to understand how they steer...or don't. It's like driving a boat at idle speed; you do a lot of correcting until you start to let it have it's own path.

It'll never be go-kart steering, but learning how it does it's thing makes you less nervous.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
JoeG,
The advice so far is good. However when solving any problem one has to start at the beginning and evaluate all parts.
A good truck alignment shop would be in order. There are only two reason a vehicle goes out of alignment. If you hit something and bend a part or if parts are worn. No shop can align a vehicle correctly if parts are worn unless they replace the worn parts. A rig of 1990 vintage may or may not have worn/bent parts because you don't always know what the PO did. You'll need a good truck shop to check that stuff first.
Ask them to show you which parts are worn. They should be able to demonstrate to you the parts and how they're worn. Then they can also tell you how they contribute to any alignment issues.
If you have any sway bars make sure they check and show you the bushings. Sway bars need good bushing to work well.
Once the steering and suspension system is back to good shape evaluate the ride and proceed with other items to correct what you want corrected.
If you are not familiar with things like track rods, sway bars, steer-safe, etc, etc it might be a good idea to do some serious reading on the net and on these forums. There's a lot of good information on older threads covering all these items. If you're still confused PM some of the guys and I'm sure they'll offer some assistance.

TeJay
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #12

Is this a Ford or a Chevy chassis?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

I now have the weights but where do I find the pressure chart?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
I now have the weights but where do I find the pressure chart?
Goodyear tires are here:
Goodyear RV Tires – Performance, Durability and Comfort

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Michelin also has a website for their tires, etc.

Tags
motorhome