Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Wanna-Be trying to convince DW on rving.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to RV forums. I'm approaching 62 and am 3-4 years from retirement and thinking about 2-3 years from being able to purchase a RV. DW retired last year and being an avid baseball fan, her bucket list includes visiting every Major League Baseball park and all Presidential Museums. Our plan after I retire is to divide the country into several sections and spend 4-5 summers traveling. We don't do "just getting by" very well, so my thought is a 40'-42' DP. DW thinks we should hop into her new Lexus SUV with it's extremely comfortable ride, great maneuverability, and nice gas mileage and stay in motels thus saving the purchase price of an RV for the grand kids' college educations.
How do I convince her otherwise? Give me your best arguing points, please.

Or as we are TOTALLY newbies, never having owned any form of camper/RV, am I getting in way over my head with all the complicated systems of a DP?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, taking up RV'ing late in life can be done, but it takes either knowledge of doing your own repairs or paying someone to do it. Doesn't sound like paying for repairs would be a problem.
I started RV'ing in 1957 when I was 10 so I've been at it a long time. That kept the "price of admission" low as we traded up and allows us to put a nice nest egg away in an annuity although I sure don't plan on leaving it to our kids!! My son has already proved he can't handle money. My parents gave him over $250,000 in 10 years and he still had to file bankruptcy.
Now, as to the DW:
No worries about bed bugs.
You always sleep in your own bed.
You can fix your own meals or go out.
You can watch satellite TV when you want.
and a bunch of other reasons.
But are you BOTH willing to learn a whole bunch of new stuff on setting up and taking down, towing the SUV (if it can even be towed, you need to check that too) and the whole spectrum of operation and maintenance that needs to be done and paying $120 an hour or so?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #3

You can NEVER justify the price of an RV going in, period. Just like you can never justify the cost of an airplane. I've done them both. It all has to do with what YOU want to do. You can look on this forum for numbers to compare RVing to car/hotel travel if you want but that alone shouldn't be the deciding factor.
What you're contemplating is a lifestyle, at least part of the year. I spent a career staying in hotels for 2 to 4 nights a week and if I never see another one it will be too soon. I like my own bed, my own bath room and shower and I can fix a sandwich at midnight if I want. You don't want to know what I've found in hotel rooms :-(
It's your decision to decide to spend your money on a lifestyle for you or college for the grand kids.
We decided after owning both a Class A MH and a TT that we like the cost factor of a smaller TT more than a big MH. We like the smaller TT also as it is easy to ark and store. Done the 42DP stuff and don't want to do it again.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We get very weary of staying in motels and driving packing and unpacking and eating out.

We never tire of our MH, it is home as well as our regular home. We split the time between our summer and our winter location half and half.

We never considered owning a MH until after we retired and wanted to take a long trip. My wife suggested we rent a MH (we had a dog to consider). By the end of the trip we were shopping for our own MH.

Our grand kids have parents.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Good luck!

I would simply rent one and take a long trip.

You will either have fun and enjoy it or you will decide that the hotel trips are more your style.

People that RV simply love doing so. It is a hobby and lifestyle that over shadows the cost.

The best advice that I can think of is to have fun regardless what you do. Don't wait too long for retirement. Life is too short to not take some time for yourself.

Again,
Good luck my friend!

Welcome to the iRV2 club.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #6

Retire at 62,buy a clean used DP, and start seeing the country.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #7

We started at age 68 and 69 with our 30' MH, having never camped in our life and LOVE it. Learning curve was kinda steep, but after 10,000 miles and about 40 campgrounds, we feel comfortable and right at home, and can't wait for the next adventure in mid December. Now I am mechanically inclined having owned a body repair/welding business in the previous life, but the basics in this gasser anyway aren't really that tough to understand and do basic chores. If you BOTH are all in, go for it,,,, you can make it work.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mr. Print....Well you have found the right site. This forum will give you a wealth of knowledge. You can research almost any subject you feel would pertain to your questions, and some even have polls included in the thread.
I agree with the thought of rent one first. There are many private party rentals nationwide. You don't have to start with biggest to give it a practice run and sell DW on the experience that way. I have never had a bad camping trip in my life. Even if there is the unexpected, like rain or wind or even a mechanical issue. You work together and get through it, and in doing so grow even closer.
The people you meet while traveling are very friendly and helpful. Try it out and you won't regret, DW will be onboard after that. IMO
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good used class A can be had at decent price. Check out brokers and bank repos. If your handy you might consider buying used now and take next several years doing a remodel as a project with DW. That way you hit the road with exactly what you want for interior. I did a quick calculation in answer to a different post and the 8 weeks of camping we typically do in our MoHo would be $11,200 if we stayed in hotels and bought our meals. MoHo payments for the whole year, plus fuel plus food during our outings costs us alot less than that. Plus we stay wherever we want instead of where the hotel is. For us, moving up to the MoHo was a no-brained.
Happy travels.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #10

we attend 2-3 NASCAR races a year and the wife was sick of the porta-potty thing, so the main seller for her was using her own toilet. And our son does most of the cooking.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINT4U View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to RV forums. I'm approaching 62 and am 3-4 years from retirement and thinking about 2-3 years from being able to purchase a RV. DW retired last year and being an avid baseball fan, her bucket list includes visiting every Major League Baseball park and all Presidential Museums. Our plan after I retire is to divide the country into several sections and spend 4-5 summers traveling. We don't do "just getting by" very well, so my thought is a 40'-42' DP. DW thinks we should hop into her new Lexus SUV with it's extremely comfortable ride, great maneuverability, and nice gas mileage and stay in motels thus saving the purchase price of an RV for the grand kids' college educations.
How do I convince her otherwise? Give me your best arguing points, please.

Or as we are TOTALLY newbies, never having owned any form of camper/RV, am I getting in way over my head with all the complicated systems of a DP?
The ride in my 40ft Winnebago is more comfortable than the ride in your Lexus! It has all the comforts of home and you get to ride in a recliner, sleep in your own bed, and the tooth brush is not still at home but hanging in the holder just a hop away. The menu is exactly what an old retired person wants and need. After all the kitchen staff makes up the menu with low salt additives and the heart burn from the added spices can be kept at a minimum. Fast food joints are high in calories and sit down restaurants compete with the one across the street adding all the ingredients we don't need in an attempt to make their place the best food in town. Yes the DP has lots of systems. All the things that you need to make it your home and your transportation and some in redundency. Then to top it off you shake it about some along the way. Yet when your house furnace quits, you call in the expert to repair what you are not trained to do. When the Lexus needs the oil changed or the computer rebooted you do the same. Some of the systems on your DP may be beyond that of your training but there are many things you can and will do as well. You take out the trash at home don't ya! As for financing your grand kids future, just remember, that money you are providing them is money they will treat as an extra surprise, one they can use for exciting trips to far off places. Places they cannot afford to go on their own income. Instead of buying a KIA they can now join Grandma and drive a Lexus. Good old Grandma she saved all her money for us and struggled down the highway in her little old Lexus when she could have traveled in style in her recliner, just to leave her money for our fun!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #12

OP tough call to make. As suggested a trip in a rental may provide the best basis for your point on going the RV route. From a personal stand point, four weeks ago my wife and I got back from a two week dream vacation to Alaska, by air and cruise ship, not the RV. Fairbanks and the Northern Lights, Denali National Park, Anchorage, cruising the inside passage with great ports of call. But, what we saw everywhere were class C rentals. Made us think of our beautiful Georgetown class A at home. Though the Alaskan trip was overwhelming in its beauty and vast natural openness and the trip was more than we dreamed of, it made use yearn to be out on the open road in our own motor home. No schedules, park where you want when you want, stay as long as you want and move on to the next area to discover and repeat. Give it a try and you "And" your dear wife may never want to be constrained by hotels again. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Good luck!

I would simply rent one and take a long trip.

You will either have fun and enjoy it or you will decide that the hotel trips are more your style.

People that RV simply love doing so. It is a hobby and lifestyle that over shadows the cost.

The best advice that I can think of is to have fun regardless what you do. Don't wait too long for retirement. Life is too short to not take some time for yourself.

Again,
Good luck my friend!

Welcome to the iRV2 club.
The rental for a trial is a great idea. You like baseball, ssooo Spring training in FL or AZ would be perfect. Give it a week or more to be fair. It does take a bit of getting used to. The good eating spots are available if you use a car or motorhome. Renting a car if you stay in one place for a few days works great.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #14

Since your wife is already somewhat resistant, I would suggest you rent the biggest, most luxurious RV you can find and afford for your first trip. As for her car, you can always tow it, either on a 2-wheel dolly or a trailer. For your first trip, leave the car behind and rent one at your destination if you need to.

There is a LOT to be said for having your own bed, bathroom, and kitchen. Camping in an RV is as complicated or simple as you make it. Any restaurant that delivers wherever you are will also deliver to the RV parks. Most RV parks near attractions are also near the best restaurants and shopping. The biggest difference between RV parks and hotels, IMHO, is no one comes to make the bed for you & no shared walls.

You probably won't save a lot of money traveling by RV, because what you don't spend on hotels and dining out will be spent on fuel, but you'll have a LOT more fun and be a LOT more comfortable.

Susan

Tags
rving