Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Wannabe Traveling Question

So we are close to purchasing our very first motorhome. #1 on the list is a 32ft gasser, Winnebago Adventurer. We believe our use will be as travelers mostly, and with car in tow.

My question, you are on route to a destination, and you cruise into a interesting town or POI. I hope to travel the back roads. Is it difficult to find a place to park the rig and visit the area? Or do you just need to find a campsite and travel back to the POI?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can park at Walmart, Home depot, and other type places.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think it is that difficult to find a place to park for some sightseeing. If you plan to stay the night, it's a little more difficult. You have to be sure the location you're considering allows overnight parking. I think it is pretty rare that you don't find any place that you can stay overnight. JMHO!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have found that most companies don't mind your parking in their property for a few hours if you walk inside and ask permission. When it has been a problem they will normally offer a suggestion and even give you directions to another location. One individual called a neighboring company and sent me over there.
It is amazing what courtesy along with a smile can get you.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
I have found that most companies don't mind your parking in their property for a few hours if you walk inside and ask permission. When it has been a problem they will normally offer a suggestion and even give you directions to another location. One individual called a neighboring company and sent me over there. It is amazing what courtesy along with a smile can get you.
I take the opposite approach usually. My motto....its better to ask forgiveness than permission. Most people don't pay attention to life in general and don't even notice a rig parked there. Obviously if its a mom and pop location in a small small town I will ask...just courtesy and common sense as the poster above gave great advice about...but if its a larger area or chain I just tend to see if I can get away with it unless signs specifically say no.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #6

Me parking in New Orleans one block off Bourbon. I carry cones. I actually got away with this for 2 days. No one even questioned it. Make it look like you belong and usually you can get away with it. (Not me in the pics. Just random people)

This is one of my best parking capers so far!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1311440424.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	52403   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2729596583.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	52404  

Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Parking in Savannah, GA. Just find a curb in the center of the action and park. The ticket for illegally parking an RV is $10.00. Seriously. Just don't run the Genny after dark because that ticket is $250.00.

I parked about a block from the action and it was well worth being able to stumble back "home" and for $10.00 well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1248183337.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	52413  
Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wannabe Travelers

If you are traveling and come upon something you place you want to visit, you can usually find a place to park and take your tour, then move on. I suggest you plan a little bit about destinations you are interested in, find an RV park/campground nearby, stay for a few days and sightsee to your hearts content!

When we toured National Parks in 2011, one of our stops was Rapid City/Hill City SD. Stayed at J Bar Ranch RV and from there visited Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Wall Drug (Must see!) and much more. Then stayed in Moab for a few days to tour Arches NP and much more!

On this month long trip, we did stop along the way to check out places that caught our eye!

Just my 2c

Happy Trails!

Darryl

Darryl
Old 12-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #9

Well, OutAround certainly has an interesting parking theory. If you explore out of the way parking spots, my best advice is to never drive into a situation or location where you can't see an exit route. As they say "Ask me how I know...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomasze View Post
So we are close to purchasing our very first motorhome. #1 on the list is a 32ft gasser, Winnebago Adventurer. We believe our use will be as travelers mostly, and with car in tow.

My question, you are on route to a destination, and you cruise into a interesting town or POI. I hope to travel the back roads. Is it difficult to find a place to park the rig and visit the area? Or do you just need to find a campsite and travel back to the POI?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Well, OutAround certainly has an interesting parking theory. If you explore out of the way parking spots, my best advice is to never drive into a situation or location where you can't see an exit route. As they say "Ask me how I know...".
I'll bite.....how do you know?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #11

Lately, its sad how many closed down businesses there are. I've stopped in several convenient vacant lots to walk the dog and eat a snack.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Ok. Yes I'm an arrogant bastard. I admit it. However, I opine anyone who has a 40 plus foot RV has both arrogance and audacity. The more outrageous your parking scheme is the more likely you are to get away with it! I just park like I own the damn place. I carry cones and a metal barricade and just park wherever, put out the cones and the barricade and the slides. Most often they leave me alone. I also carry canvass bags to put over parking meters. I roll in at 3 or 4 am when they are empty, park the rig and cover the meters. I've had cops wave at me.

Ya. I'm a bastard but it works better than 90 percent of the time. Lol
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #13

Actually it works 99 percent of the time. In college I learned many parking scams. I used to fake being an elevator inspector and just parked on the grass right in front of my classes. I even bought an old Dodge 3500 Ram van at the university auction for $350.00 and kept the logos and parked freely on campus. Suckers!!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround

Ok. Yes I'm an arrogant bastard. I admit it. However, I opine anyone who has a 40 plus foot RV has both arrogance and audacity. The more outrageous your parking scheme is the more likely you are to get away with it! I just park like I own the damn place. I carry cones and a metal barricade and just park wherever, put out the cones and the barricade and the slides. Most often they leave me alone. I also carry canvass bags to put over parking meters. I roll in at 3 or 4 am when they are empty, park the rig and cover the meters. I've had cops wave at me.

Ya. I'm a bastard but it works better than 90 percent of the time. Lol
So assuming you don't get caught or the lawyers bill is low enough - where do you draw the line. Inquiring minds want to known how a big of an ....... we're dealing with.
Closed Thread

Tags
travel