Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wannabe with many questions

First of all, I want to thank all the posts, the yrs of experience and tribal knowledge is amazing. This is quite the edumacation (on porpoise)... Again thanks. we've been toying with the idea of living in a dp for the past 5 yrs or so.

There seems to be a notion that date codes on tires is a big concern, 7 yrs seems to be the magic number. Why?

I have not noticed a similar date concern about batteries, house or chassis, why? I would expect another high $ replacement cost.

I like all the replacement of couches with recliners or office desk, chairs, helps guide my thoughts.

I noticed many neat ideas of keeping refer's shut while going down the road, but what about all the items on the counter tops? industrial velcro self adhesive pairs?

Living full time, is there a good state to claim residency? currently in NH but want to go west (not many options north or east)... LOL

Is there a way to lock / unlock all basement openings at once, like a door unlock feature in cars. I seems like doing it individually would be a pain. esp at night at camp loc'n. like a solenoid plunger locking system.

too many questions... still looking for a good value rv, but the want list is very fickle...

kerryvan
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
First of all, I want to thank all the posts, the yrs of experience and tribal knowledge is amazing. This is quite the edumacation (on porpoise)... Again thanks. we've been toying with the idea of living in a dp for the past 5 yrs or so.

There seems to be a notion that date codes on tires is a big concern, 7 yrs seems to be the magic number. Why?

I have not noticed a similar date concern about batteries, house or chassis, why? I would expect another high $ replacement cost.

I like all the replacement of couches with recliners or office desk, chairs, helps guide my thoughts.

I noticed many neat ideas of keeping refer's shut while going down the road, but what about all the items on the counter tops? industrial velcro self adhesive pairs?

Living full time, is there a good state to claim residency? currently in NH but want to go west (not many options north or east)... LOL

Is there a way to lock / unlock all basement openings at once, like a door unlock feature in cars. I seems like doing it individually would be a pain. esp at night at camp loc'n. like a solenoid plunger locking system.

too many questions... still looking for a good value rv, but the want list is very fickle...

kerryvan
7 years is the life expectancy of tires.

Batteries can last 7 to 10 years if cared for properly.

Furniture can be replaced with recliners, done all the time.

We put stuff in the sink and do not clutter the counter tops with stuff.

South Dakota and Texas are a couple of good states.

I have no problem with storage bays and never heard of a system like you are describing.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some high end coaches have central locking systems.

Tires age due to exposure to ozone and other stuff in the air. 7-8 years is the usual life expectancy if well maintained.

Battery life very much varies with usage and maintenance. They are only good for so many charge/discharge cycles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
7 years is the life expectancy of tires.

Batteries can last 7 to 10 years if cared for properly.

Furniture can be replaced with recliners, done all the time.

We put stuff in the sink and do not clutter the counter tops with stuff.

South Dakota and Texas are a couple of good states.

I have no problem with storage bays and never heard of a system like you are describing.

Good luck with your quest.
Great answers! You can add Fl to the list of states. I would add that we use museum putty to hold small decorative items.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

Our Mandalay is equipped with a locking system which allows me to push one button on the key fob to lock or unlock the basement doors all at the same time. And this is an older coach, made in 2006.

I would suspect that a lot of the newer coaches would have this feature.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Quote:

That's about what most of the tire manufacturers recommend. None of us want the huge expense of replacing tires, but neither do we want blowouts!

You never know about batteries! They can last a long time or go bad in a year or so! You want to be sure to keep them checked and filled with distilled water.

Many of us have replaced couches and chairs for more comfort. This is what we did: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/out-...ew-228971.html

We don't leave anything on the countertops unless it has rubber non-slip feet that we are confident won't end up in the floor! As someone suggested, we put things in the sink for travel, or inside cabinets.

We're not fulltime YET, but most folks choose Florida, Texas, or South Dakota. You can find discussions on this in the full-timers area of the forum.

Our MH has a keypad beside the door that locks and unlocks the entry door and storage bay doors. I don't know if its feasible to add the electric locks to the bay doors.

kerryvan
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

kerryvan
I have the auto locking system for all the basement doors. I have a key pad outside the entrance door. I just push and hold #1 and all basement doors and front door lock. I push my personal code and everything unlocks. I'm sure many mid to upper end newer coaches offer this feature. It is very convenient. When we leave the coach, we don't even take a key with us. (I have a hidden key in case the thing goes bonkers, but so far so good)
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote