Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Wannabe's Questions (still shopping)

Hi gang. My brother Rod turned me on to this site. He's been RVing for years and owns a nice coach. My wife and I are retired but still shopping for the right rig. I have some basic questions, but first, here's what we hope to accomplish;
1. Kay and I (Gene) hope to get into a 38-42' class A coach for under $100K. We like diesel pushers. 10-11 years old or newer.
2. We'd like to tow an enclosed trailer for our large motorcycle (2013 Victory Vision - our mini-toad), a trailer for the bike to tow for groceries, and possibly for our golf cart (we could be convinced otherwise on bringing the cart, but we think it'd be great for larger campgrounds. Oh yeah, and maybe room in the trailer for a bit of a man cave
3. We'd also like to have some dedicated space for my computer equipment (I'm a serious digital photographer) and for Kay's sewing machine.
4. I'm a gadget guy, so the more gadgets (that have utility and that work), the better.
5. Kay and I love to travel, so we'll probably be moving the rig more than staying put. We figure our 40 years of boating and our few years of living and traveling tropical waters by boat will stand us in good stead in the RV. Lots of similarities (e.g., managing your own power, water, waste, location, communication, etc.). Can't wait!
6. Oh yeah, I'm also a ham radio guy.

So what do you kids think of that list? We gotta sell a house before investing in a rig, so right now I'm kickin' the tires before lighting the fires, and sure could use some help from y'all on a few questions:

1. MUST I buy a rig with a tag axle to meet my towing requirements? Also, pros/cons of a tag axle rig?
2. Is my wish list for a rig realistic?
3. Other than craig's list, what other places should I be shopping? (I personally don't like eBay as I want to see sale prices, not bids).
4. when I see axle capacity (e.g., for rear axle of a non-tag coach), should I be thinking tongue weight or total trailer weight?
5. if I'm thinking of towing a 20+ foot enclosed trailer behind a coach (?), should I be thinking sway bars and such?
6. Other considerations for towing a trailer versus just a toad?

The list is getting kinda long, so that's enough for now. I just want to get some idea if I'm even in the neighborhood of planet Earth with what I'm currently thinking (Kay'll be happy if she gets a big-a55 galley and a place to get her feet up, and, oh yeah, a campfire :-)

And if I've violated any forum rules, apologies in advance!

Thanks y'all
Gene & Kay, currently from SW Florida October-May & SE Minnesota June-September.

gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Well that is a post and a half, but all on one theme, What to buy?
Tag axle equipped MH's do have the advantage of giving more CCC. ( Cargo Carrying Capacity ) of the coach and the ability to handle a heavy hitch weight, that a trailer adds to the rear axle , where a toad; running 4 down ; only adds a few pounds, to the rear axle and adds to the GCWR.
Tag axle tire scrub , is perhaps, the biggest issue ; but considering the advantages ; a minor concern.
Floor plan , personal , no one can tell you what's going to work for you.
Purchasing online, caution , lots of scams out there !
If it sounds to good to be true.... well you know the rest.
Keep notes on what you like in RVs that you tour through, then look for those features in a unit in your price range.
Good Luck in your search.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Gene and Kay, Glad you're aboard. A fellow Minnesotan...well at least for part of the year. I'm in a similar situation to you in that I need to sell the S&B before I get real serious about negotiating on a coach.

My $.02 worth IMO if you are going to tow a 20' or larger trailer you'd be happier with a tag axle. There are coaches available w/tag in your price range but they may be older than the 10-11 yrs you mention, and may need more care to be reliable for your travels.

Places to look...I do watch eBay and know what you mean about the sale price, but it does give me an idea of what others are willing to pay for the respective model. Put the ones you like on a watch list and you can see what the bids were and take it from there. Also watch RVT.com, RVTrader.com, and a search in oodle.com will give you numerous listings from other sites. PPLMotorhomes.com is a consignment facility and I believe they show the coaches sold and the sale prices; MHRVS.com is a large TX dealer.

Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gene & Kay! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you found us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with all your searches.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Check out pplmotorhomes.com for some coach ideas. They have consignment coaches with prices and condition listed. It could give you some ideas. They also show the floorplan of the coach. Good luck and hope all your plans work out. Of course keep us up to date on how you're making out. Enjoy.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Hi Gene and Kay!! Welcome Aboard!!
You are in the right place to ask questions, there are a lot of helpful people on IRV2. My best advice to you would be do your research BEFORE you buy!! Don't let the fantastic price or bells and whistles make you buy something you don't need or don't want!!
Good Luck!!
Rick and Karen
2016 Berkshire 38A
2011 Honda CRV
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Your towing needs depends on weight. You need to know what everything weighs. Motorcycle/mc trailer, Golf cart, cargo in trailer and the enclosed trailer itself. The sum of all these weights would dictate wether you need a tag axle or not. Non-tags usually have a towing capacity of 10k pounds depending on chassis where as tags will go to a 12-14k towing capacity.
It's the GCWR of the coach you should be concerned with and not just the rear axle GVW. I am talking DP here as not to confuse with any other coaches for the sake of arguments.
Total length is of concern too. Trailers usually have a tongue of about 4-5 feet or so. A 42' coach + a 20' box trailer + a 5' of tongue and hitch length = 67'…. Max length for this type of combo is 65' in most states.
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
Super C

If your interested in the safest way to tow a trailer, look at the Super C's based on a Class 8 Truck.

Towing Capacity of 40,000#.

Used by Racers around the USA.

Visit the HDT forum.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06555.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	71913  
2014 ShowHauler 45'
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
brunsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
You offering to sell the OP your rig for under $100k?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Gene and Kay;
First thing is to go out and look at the various floor plans that are available. IMO the newer coach floor plans with larger slides are advantageous over the older coaches but will likely be more money.

After you find the desired floor plan the next thing to do is find a coach that is within your price point. Some due diligence on the coach in question will serve you well.

Your list of desires is quite long. I doubt you will be able to find a coach that meets all of them but who knows. Some renovations and you will be good to go with the custom workstations.

In that length you should be able to tow a trailer and your toys. You may have to go to an aluminum trailer but your toys are likely less than 3,000 lbs. Your motorcycle will be under 900 lbs, a golf cart under 1500 and a bike utility trailer under 250. Our 20' stacker is 6350 so a car trailer of similar length should be less than 5000. I am estimating the numbers so you have to check them with actual numbers.

I am not sure if you are full timing as you mention you will have to sell a house to buy the MH but you did not say the house. If you are full timing you will know from your experience that a foot or two is a lot of extra space.

Good luck in your quest to go land sailing.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
I agree with JohnnyB re the Super C's, they are workhorses but will be hard to buy in your budget/age range. Under 100k would probably be at least 10 yrs. old. FWIW I tow a 32' race trailer weighing 9700# total with a 42' tag Travel Supreme, it does a great job, hardly knows it's back there, no sway hitch necessary. It's for sale on Ebay but not under $100k.............working on posting it here but I'm picture challenged.........good luck with your search...... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Make a budget - 100%, then look at 75% max due to unforeseen repairs. IE - tires due to age(so many things to search on this sight), and boy, the list is endless......so is the gadget list for neat stuff. I bought at 50%....so I have new tires,toilet,a/c,transfer switch,ems,hot water,sat dish... Ya, I thought I would buy it and go traveling....surprise! Best of luck and we'll be the bus that waves......

HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote