Hi gang. My brother Rod turned me on to this site. He's been RVing for years and owns a nice coach. My wife and I are retired but still shopping for the right rig. I have some basic questions, but first, here's what we hope to accomplish;
1. Kay and I (Gene) hope to get into a 38-42' class A coach for under $100K. We like diesel pushers. 10-11 years old or newer.
2. We'd like to tow an enclosed trailer for our large motorcycle (2013 Victory Vision - our mini-toad), a trailer for the bike to tow for groceries, and possibly for our golf cart (we could be convinced otherwise on bringing the cart, but we think it'd be great for larger campgrounds. Oh yeah, and maybe room in the trailer for a bit of a man cave
3. We'd also like to have some dedicated space for my computer equipment (I'm a serious digital photographer) and for Kay's sewing machine.
4. I'm a gadget guy, so the more gadgets (that have utility and that work), the better.
5. Kay and I love to travel, so we'll probably be moving the rig more than staying put. We figure our 40 years of boating and our few years of living and traveling tropical waters by boat will stand us in good stead in the RV. Lots of similarities (e.g., managing your own power, water, waste, location, communication, etc.). Can't wait!
6. Oh yeah, I'm also a ham radio guy.
So what do you kids think of that list? We gotta sell a house before investing in a rig, so right now I'm kickin' the tires before lighting the fires, and sure could use some help from y'all on a few questions:
1. MUST I buy a rig with a tag axle to meet my towing requirements? Also, pros/cons of a tag axle rig?
2. Is my wish list for a rig realistic?
3. Other than craig's list, what other places should I be shopping? (I personally don't like eBay as I want to see sale prices, not bids).
4. when I see axle capacity (e.g., for rear axle of a non-tag coach), should I be thinking tongue weight or total trailer weight?
5. if I'm thinking of towing a 20+ foot enclosed trailer behind a coach (?), should I be thinking sway bars and such?
6. Other considerations for towing a trailer versus just a toad?
The list is getting kinda long, so that's enough for now. I just want to get some idea if I'm even in the neighborhood of planet Earth with what I'm currently thinking (Kay'll be happy if she gets a big-a55 galley and a place to get her feet up, and, oh yeah, a campfire :-)
And if I've violated any forum rules, apologies in advance!
Gene & Kay, currently from SW Florida October-May & SE Minnesota June-September.