Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Want advice on tire brand purchase for spare tire use

I'm planning on buying a spare tire.

I currently have Michelin XZA2 Energy in 295/80R/22.5. (Load range H). My front axle single-tire load is 7,500 lbs.

I don't want to pay $600+ for a spare tire so Michelin brand is out.
But I want a tire I can trust and if installed I can drive hundreds of miles to complete my trip and return home (not just to closest tire shop).

Since this tire needs to fit all positions (drive, tag, and steering) it needs to be the same OD or very close to it (41.1" OD per Michelin brochure).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I saw "Hercules H-601" tire, which is 295/80R/22.5 load range H for sale, but I don't know anything about this brand.

the next tire size closest to the OD I need is the 275/80R22.5 (40.0" OD) but I don't know if that size comes in a load range H or higher. I've only seen it in a G rating.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you live a metropolitan area with tire shops I'd do some shopping for a good used tire. If the shop does sell tires for RV's there's a good chance they may have a good used tire to match your Michelin's. If you do a good inspection of the inside of the tire and there are no repairs, cracks, or signs of running flat the tire could work as a spare. If you have RV friends you may check around and see if they are going to change tires as an option.

I did keep one of my old tires and mounted to carry a spare. Next time I change out tires (which will be before the next long trip) I'll probably swap out. Too bad too since my front tires still look like new but are 10 years old, rear just turned 8 years. I haven't had the coach out for +3 years as I am building a new house and didn't want to waste $$$ just sitting there.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Used is fine as long as it is under 7 years old. I don't want to risk putting my spare tire on and then having a blow out because the spare is too old.

I called one of the large RV salvage yards to see if they had a tire for sale - and they said no (you'd think they would have plenty of tires). Maybe it's a liability issue.

I found three tires in my size and load range. Not sure what the cost is yet (waiting for quote to be sent).

1) Hercules H-601 295/80R22.5 load range H, 41.1" OD
2) Toyo M144 295/80R22.5 load range H , 41.5" OD
3) Toyo M144 305/70R22.5 load range L, 39.5" OD

The hard part is finding the tire with the proper load range (H or higher).
Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

I replaced all of my 295/80.22.5 XZA2's with the M144 Toyo's. Cost for just the tire was $387 plus sales tax. In 25 years of motorhome travel in seven different coaches, I have never carried a spare or needed one.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

I agree on not needing a spare for 22.5's

And you don't want to ever mix 275 with 295 tires, best to replace two and keep one to travel with if you feel that strong

You can always purchase one along the road albeit maybe higher then
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

When I got all 6 replaced a few weeks back I asked that my take-offs not be resold due to age and checkered sidewalls. The shop guy said that selling used tires is forbidden. I did not ask if that was a company rule or a law.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
When I got all 6 replaced a few weeks back I asked that my take-offs not be resold due to age and checkered sidewalls. The shop guy said that selling used tires is forbidden. I did not ask if that was a company rule or a law.
Maybe his shop doesn't/can't sell them but you can. I replaced all 8 six year old 295's last year and sold the XZE Energy's for $500. If they had been the more popular 275 semi tires I could have sold them for $100 each.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
I agree on not needing a spare for 22.5's

And you don't want to ever mix 275 with 295 tires, best to replace two and keep one to travel with if you feel that strong

You can always purchase one along the road albeit maybe higher then
I'm not replacing with 275s. I'm looking at the 295s.
IO did have 305/70s on the short list, but i'll stick to the 295s so all tires are same size.
Thanks for the advice.

Tags
advice, purchase