Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Pulling the Jeep you have already use 4000 of the 5000 weight allowance for towing.

With the added weight your MPG has got to stink.

I'm figuring on getting about 20-25 MPG.... Just kidding.
TxSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Simple solution to your question. Tow a small pick up truck and put a 90 gal diamond plated fuel tank with an electric or manual pump on it. I have one that we used going from NC to south FL and back in our diesel MH. Fueled up in SC where diesel is much cheaper When we don't have the tank in the back of the truck, I put the motor cycle in it.

Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I have the desire for extra fuel capacity for different reasons though. We filled up in SC with diesel for $3.54.9 a gallon the other night, yes it would be nice to have the option to take on another 50 to 100 gallons! I would not have to carry that much all the time but a nice option when traveling the next state at $4.09! The extra weight could be in the middle of a compartment as a slave tank to the original with no cap, self equalizing.
If it aint full, you get condensation, algae (diesel). 50 cents a gallon is like 5 cents a mile....but not all the time, you say.
I doubt a payback on the investment would be short term. It may be a convenience for long-haul driving, but if you do that too much, where is the fun?
Just sayin.....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not having to stop at a pilot flying j would be a payback .
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Simple solution to your question. Tow a small pick up truck and put a 90 gal diamond plated fuel tank with an electric or manual pump on it. I have one that we used going from NC to south FL and back in our diesel MH. Fueled up in SC where diesel is much cheaper When we don't have the tank in the back of the truck, I put the motor cycle in it.

Dave

That's a great idea but I love the Rubicon! And I don't want to have to stop to refill. I'm willing to convert one of the basement compartments to a tank. (Just open the door and fill). The propane tank is configured similarly.

I guess I should mention that I use my RV for work mostly. Point A to point B, Job to Job. Haven't had it long enough to enjoy vacationing.
I want to be able to buy fuel where it's cheap, not have to stop for fuel every 4 hours, and hold enough to get home in an emergency.

My biggest obsticle is the 12 hours a day I'm working with no time to start the project or shop for tanks etc.

I wish there was a shop that could just do it!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSkye View Post

That's a great idea but I love the Rubicon! And I don't want to have to stop to refill. I'm willing to convert one of the basement compartments to a tank. (Just open the door and fill). The propane tank is configured similarly.

I guess I should mention that I use my RV for work mostly. Point A to point B, Job to Job. Haven't had it long enough to enjoy vacationing.
I want to be able to buy fuel where it's cheap, not have to stop for fuel every 4 hours, and hold enough to get home in an emergency.

My biggest obsticle is the 12 hours a day I'm working with no time to start the project or shop for tanks etc.

I wish there was a shop that could just do it!
If you are driving 12 hours a day, surely you must take a break. Walk around. Use the loo.
A refuel is not much longer.
Why the urge to spend so much to gain so little time?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #21

Yes I did it to our Holiday rambler on a Ford chassis. I designed the tank myself so it did not require a seperate filler hose, or additional fuel pump or additional gas lines. It fit between the frame rails and the tank added 66 gallons to the factory 75 gallon tank. Added about 550 pounds to the chassis total.
If anyone wants the design just email me.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #22

I think my old semi tanks were 22" Round and 60" long. They held 95 gallon each. I just traded off a 2009 Daybreak in October. I never had any place for extra tanks. Maybe modify the basement compartments? I for sure don't have enough bladder to out drive the stock tanks. Ha
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If you are driving 12 hours a day, surely you must take a break. Walk around. Use the loo.
A refuel is not much longer.
Why the urge to spend so much to gain so little time?

Because I'm 31 years old and hard headed..haha.

I like the security of having the capability on board. No matter what it costs.
Without getting all "doomsday prepper" on ya'll, what if there is a economic collapse or fuel shortage and fuel is unavailable or rationed?
I need to be able to get home to TX where my family and securities are.

As mentioned with my age, I've only started following politics and I don't want to start a debate. But the Gov is about broke and out of credit to keep the system stable. I personally feel as though there have been zero real changes made as a gov level that benefit the future of the value of the US dollar or the massive over spending problem we have as a nation.
I'm thinking about the next 5-10-20 years here and do not like what I see.
So.. Having large capacity fuel tanks is just one of the things that will be helpful if there is a significant problem with our already unstable economy.

Okay. So with that being said. I'm thinking about taking two opposing side basement storage compartments and converting each to a fuel tank of appropriate size whatever that may be. I will chose two of them that are between the front and rear axles so the weight is shared and more balanced. I'm sure I could get an addition 150 gals total storage with that route... or at least I hope.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Skye,

Take Don up on his offer to send you his project plans. While the drive shaft of a gasser may preclude it, a between the rails solution is most appropriate for both solid support and weight/balance. The structure of the basement storage may not hold the weight.

Get a four corner weighing of the coach as it would be loaded for travel and see how much the chassis can the accommodate in added fuel weight (don't forget to include the JK's weight).

Then get one of the mechanical engineers at work to review all this with you over a beer. You should come up with an understanding of whether your idea is practical for that rig or not.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #25

Just a thought, we traded for a NASCAR coach once. It had a 100 gallon extra water tank added in the basement and was not quite in the center. In the deal I had them to remove it before delivery to me.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
some things to remember when having fuel tanks built. if they are not certified, your local agency (in cafifornia the chp) is going to give you trouble. if there is any kind of trouble your insurance co. will probably deny your claim. imho if i were to add tanks i would not use round ones (to much wasted space) but rectangular ones. also if adding tanks outside the frame it's advised to add equally to both side of the vehicle and add spreader bars between the tanks to keep the tanks from getting a pumping action twisting the frame. this action can also cause the tanks mounts to break. i had a dump truck with twin 121 gallon step tanks. before adding the spreaders when i got out of the truck i could fell the tank move under my add weight. now think of all the bumps you fell driving down the road (pumping action). seen tanks without spreaders rip the tank mounts apart.
As with the above I would only consider a DOT approved tank and check with the frame MFG for suggestion of mounting it. If you use a selector switch so you can pull from either tank, be sure the selector valve is dual ported, letting the return flow back to the tank that is selected to be drawen from. Otherwise the original tank will have the return fuel and over filling it. Dont ask me how I know LOL
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #27

Good info everyone! Thanks and keep it coming!

Tags
fuel