Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #1

Want to add fuel capacity

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some knowledge!

Does anyone know of or has anyone added auxilary fuel tanks under their class A?

I want to carry more fuel to extend my driving range. In the end I want to be able to drive home to Texas from about anywhere in the US without stopping for fuel. Hypothetical fuel shortage scenario or economic collapse. I'm thinking two 100 gal tanks.

There is all kinds of room under there.

Please help, thanks.

TxSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #2

it might be easier to help if you tell what moterhome on which chassis with which engine you're working with...

Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #3

I'm thinking that adding about 1400 pounds of weight may give you control issues, if not make you overweight.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
it might be easier to help if you tell what moterhome on which chassis with which engine you're working with...
It's a 2013 Thor Challenger. Gas V10. 37Ft Long. Ford F-series chassis.

I was thinking about somehow attaching a couple of those cylinder shaped tanks that are attached to the frame on semi trucks (except fill with gas of course). Then wire in a simple transfer pump to the main tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm thinking that adding about 1400 pounds of weight may give you control issues, if not make you overweight.
I need to do some research on the load capacity, good point.
TxSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon. So you are adding 600 pounds plus the weight if the tank(s). If the weight is do able., then I suggest air tight fuel transfer pumps. Not a bad idea if you have 2 drivers. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

I have the desire for extra fuel capacity for different reasons though. We filled up in SC with diesel for $3.54.9 a gallon the other night, yes it would be nice to have the option to take on another 50 to 100 gallons! I would not have to carry that much all the time but a nice option when traveling the next state at $4.09! The extra weight could be in the middle of a compartment as a slave tank to the original with no cap, self equalizing.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TxSkye,
This question is coach specific for an answer. It depends on where the coach manufacturer had the chassis manufacturer put chassis components. Then where did the coach manufacturer put their components. Gas weighs 6.15 pounds per gallon. You'll need to get under the chassis to see if you have the room and where the room is. Then understand your fully loaded travel weight on all four corners. Then determine where the weight will be placed and do you have that capacity. If the capacity is not there, what of your stuff must leave the coach to remain within the chassis GVWR.

I've also wanted to have additional fuel capacity. I have the room for a 150 gallon tank (now have a 100 gallon tank). That is an additional 355 (diesel weighs 7.1 pounds per gallon) pounds mostly on the front axle. Since we are at GAWR on the rear and very close on the front the wife has vetoed the idea.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree that purchasing fuel where you find it at a good price. That would be a good reason to add fuel capacity. I find the older I get the less tine on the highways I spend.
My Tiffin Phaeton has 100 gl tank but the Tiffin Bus has a larger tank and I think the Bus - that is on a Freight Liner frame would inter change. Something to give some consideration.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
more fuel

i have a 2000 monaco 45 sig i am going to do the same i can de build the tank and get another 150 gallon they left a big spot under the fuel tank so i am going to fab up a new one
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pulling the Jeep you have already use 4000 of the 5000 weight allowance for towing.

With the added weight your MPG has got to stink.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroan View Post
I agree that purchasing fuel where you find it at a good price. That would be a good reason to add fuel capacity. I find the older I get the less tine on the highways I spend.
My Tiffin Phaeton has 100 gl tank but the Tiffin Bus has a larger tank and I think the Bus - that is on a Freight Liner frame would inter change. Something to give some consideration.

Jroan
yep great idea
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #12

some things to remember when having fuel tanks built. if they are not certified, your local agency (in cafifornia the chp) is going to give you trouble. if there is any kind of trouble your insurance co. will probably deny your claim. imho if i were to add tanks i would not use round ones (to much wasted space) but rectangular ones. also if adding tanks outside the frame it's advised to add equally to both side of the vehicle and add spreader bars between the tanks to keep the tanks from getting a pumping action twisting the frame. this action can also cause the tanks mounts to break. i had a dump truck with twin 121 gallon step tanks. before adding the spreaders when i got out of the truck i could fell the tank move under my add weight. now think of all the bumps you fell driving down the road (pumping action). seen tanks without spreaders rip the tank mounts apart.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You can find pre-molded plastic tanks in all shapes and sizes. There are bound to be a couple that would fit your needs. As said, main things to consider are weight and balance issues and exactly where and how you are going to mount it.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

if you do it be sure reweigh and adjust tires air pressure.

Tags
fuel