Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
want to buy first rv 2004 kountry star or dutch star confused

Hello;
Please help. i am in south florida will travel some. I want to purchase my first RV. I am going full time. For my budget it looks like about a 2004 Kountry Star DP fits the budget...then i see once in a while a Dutch Star almost or in the same price range. I want to buy within the next week or 10 days at the most. I have contacted LazyDays ( i do not know if i will get a good deal from them) I think my best deal would be private if i can find a nice clean one and hopefully with extras. I do get confused with the different models of the Kountry star. I guess i would like the cummings diesel with Spartan chassis, some come with Cat and some freightliner. I know i will have to compromise and first would be the condition and the price and then whatever engine/chassis it has...then that will be it.
I also noticed ( i think) that some had 3 slides instead of two.
The Dutch Star has a larger engine and i am sure a bit better quality. As i had said rarely do i see the DutchStar offered at the same price and i do not think i want to get an older DutchStar to get the price down..
Anyone know of something nice for sale? and info re the above would be great. I will try to find someone to check it out for me, since i do not have experience. I volunteered to work in a state park April 1st...so i have lots to do fast. I was considering a 2004 Safari Cheetah....a beautiful motorhome in so many ways with 4 slides, but they are out of business and even though Navistar took over Monaco they are dropping Safari and that bothers me when i would need certain parts. Thank you all, allen aka gadget
you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
should i buy a 2004 safari cheetah? or a newmar or tiffin? or?

Hello;
Please help. i am in south florida will travel some. I want to purchase my first RV. I am going full time. For my budget it looks like about a 2004 Kountry Star DP fits the budget...then i see once in a while a Dutch Star almost or in the same price range. I want to buy within the next week or 10 days at the most. I have contacted LazyDays ( i do not know if i will get a good deal from them) I think my best deal would be private if i can find a nice clean one and hopefully with extras. I do get confused with the different models of the Kountry star. I guess i would like the cummings diesel with Spartan chassis, some come with Cat and some freightliner. I know i will have to compromise and first would be the condition and the price and then whatever engine/chassis it has...then that will be it.
I also noticed ( i think) that some had 3 slides instead of two.
The Dutch Star has a larger engine and i am sure a bit better quality. As i had said rarely do i see the DutchStar offered at the same price and i do not think i want to get an older DutchStar to get the price down..
Anyone know of something nice for sale? and info re the above would be great. I will try to find someone to check it out for me, since i do not have experience. I volunteered to work in a state park April 1st...so i have lots to do fast. I was considering a 2004 Safari Cheetah....a beautiful motorhome in so many ways with 4 slides, but they are out of business and even though Navistar took over Monaco they are dropping Safari and that bothers me when i would need certain parts. Thank you all, allen aka gadget
you may write to me at: AllenMankin@Gmail.com

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #3

Allen that is the motorhome we got and we realy like it good lock in your purchease
Andrew from quebec
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
should i buy a 2004 safari cheetah? or a newmar or tiffin? or?

Hello;
I hope i can get some open minded answers....I do need your help.
This is my first RV and i am going full time...I am jumping all the way in. My budget puts me into a certain price range diesel pusher that can get me something like a 2004 Safari Cheetah, 2004 Newmar, and tiffin. the tiffins i saw in the 2004 looked like older styling for me. the Newmars a bit more contemp or basic..nice and clean. and of course the decor on the cheetah is really nice. However i am more concerned about Quality, reliability and also the fact that Navistar is dropping the Safari part of Monaco and that means ...really little or no support for certain parts...and service.
I have heard about a serious recall on some safaris ( also did pertain to other brands) that has to do with something at the rear wheels....really bad.
Any way...what is your input on purchasing which brand/model for reliability etc.Thank you all very much, allen
Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
Hello;
...also the fact that Navistar is dropping the Safari part of Monaco .....
That is too bad :( A brand new 1992 Safari Serengeti was the very first Class A I had ever been in and I fell in love. It was SO beautiful, I decided that I never needed a stick house and could, happily, live in that.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
We have a 2009 Safari Simba and if Navistar dropped the Safari line it would not bother me and in my opinion it should not bother you and I will tell you why.

In my rather limited RV time I have noticed that they all pretty well use the same overall parts and accessories.

Furniture, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners, TV's, stereo's, light fixtures switches and the list goes on and on.

Body parts are different for sure but if you need a new body major component, chances are you will be looking for a new coach anyhow.

Just my humble opinion.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Go with the Newmar -- The slide outs are much better & fit flush to the side wall -- None of the stupid slide out first, then level -- The Spartan chassis has a smoother ride (I`ve had 2, so I have experience with them) It has independent front suspension -- Side radiator, & Cummins Engine -- The earlier Safari`s was made by Safari, & was well made, but when Monaco took over, the quality went South -- Bill Willard
Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
advise me about the 2004 Northern Star

Hello;
In my search for a used Newmar and my budget calls for about a 2004 KountryStar diesel pusher...I came across a 2004 Northern Star, It has the high ceilings and i believe it is an upgrade from the Kountry star, but i do not know any history about this model that was made for only 2 years. Are there any negatives....Trying to figure out if it pays to go for it instead of a kourntry Star. It is also a bit longer ( 40ft.) I did not know about the length for state or national parks....This is my first RV and going all the way to full time. I hope it is not too big. It will be home as long as i can park it somewhere...thank you all
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Tiffin owners seem to be some of the most satisfied coach owners I have ever met. You might want to go to their forums and ask some additional questions specific to their models.
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page
Old 02-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Gadget,

I purchased a repo 2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ and other than the replacement of the Trailing Arms have only had normal RV accessory repairs. Most of the Safari brand by Monaco had the upgraded suspension with larger air bags, larger air tanks and lines as well as upgraded shocks. I added Motion Control Units (MCUs) and a Blu-Ox True Center. The ride is very nice.

The advantage of the Safari Cheetah in the years you are looking at is value. I just saw a 2006 40 foot with 11K miles sell on E-Bay this week for $80,000.00. I would not hesitate to buy one again. You just have to know what you are getting and what is on it. Most will need the new Trailing Arms at a cost of about $3K.

You should be able to get a lower mileage 2004-2005 in the $70-$80K range. Parts are not a problem.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi IamGadget,
Consider going with Newmar (yep, I am bias). I also live in South Florida. If I can help you, PM me here at iRV2 or at garykdp@bellsouth.net

In a little while, check your iRV2 private messages (PM). I will provide some information on Newmar units for sale based on the OP.

In addition to the coach purchase, you'll want to tow a vehicle. There will be additional expenses in setting up a vehicle to tow with 4 wheels on the ground or with a dolly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome IamGaget to the Newmar forum.
If you go into the Quick Tips link you will find the information you need. While in the link there are dealers for Newmar and other links to used motor homes Newmar. You can shop and compare.
The DP Kountry Star is a good low end in the Newmar line that has been dropped by Newmar because of to many lines they were producing in these slow times. I have a gas KS and its better than the new lines of gas coach's now produced.
You will not go wrong purchasing a DPKS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
paz

IamGadget,

I don't know what your timing is for your purchase and for going full-time; but you say this is your first RV. If you've never spent any time in an RV, I would like to urge you to take your time - both with the purchase, and with becoming a full-timer.

Our decision to full-time took shape over several years. Once we had pretty much made up our mind to full-time, we researched possible rigs for several years. Of course, you don't have to necessarily take that much time to make your decisions, but don't rush.

Have you read any books on Full-timing? There are lots of decisions to make like whether or not you're going to sell your home (if you own one), what state are you going to choose for your domicile (without a home, you can choose from many), what the tax and insurance implications are for various states, what mail forwarding service you're going to use, etc.

As a Tiffin owner, I can tell you their coaches are very well made and they stand behind them. We visit the factory often and watch them being built.

Good luck with your hunt.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking at your location south FL. North Trail may be near you they are a top Newmar dealer and may have a KS on their lot.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote