Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm View Post

I notice the $120 is 6/3. Do I not need 6/4 ??
You overlooked the fact, in the description, that besides the 6 gauge 3 wire there is also one 8 gauge wire for the ground, 6-3 with 8-1.

This is found fairly common in extension cords versus main coach power supply cords.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #16

Get one off e-bay. I got my 30 ft 6/3-8/1 extension cord for under $100.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
50 Amp RV Extension Cord Camper 36' Foot w/handle - $119.99

Try these folks.....
Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #18

Just bought one this week from:

Happy Trails RV Power Cords

$80 for 30 foot 50 amp. They hit me for $25 s&h but added up it was better than any price I could find. Received it today, good heavy duty construction with pull handles.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
Just bought one this week from:

Happy Trails RV Power Cords

$80 for 30 foot 50 amp. They hit me for $25 s&h but added up it was better than any price I could find. Received it today, good heavy duty construction with pull handles.
Bill,

How flexible is this 50 amp extension cord? Is it as flexible as the RV coach shore cable?

Thanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Bill,

How flexible is this 50 amp extension cord? Is it as flexible as the RV coach shore cable?

Thanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
I can't really tell much, if any difference. The best way to describe it is that it was packaged just like shown on the web site (coiled in a circle) and in a box measuring 15x15x6 inches. It was coiled tight enough that I was a little worried that it may not relax and lay out flat. It unrolled and laid flat and straight pretty much just like the cord from the coach.
For info my reason for buying it was two fold; first as an extension to get the MH a little farther from my shop and still be able to keep it plugged in, and second so I can leave my portable EMS unit plugged in an locked in the electrical storage compartment and the new extension cord going to the power post. Of course it would also be great if I ever have to park 60 feet from the post at a campground.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
My reason for asking is that I bought a 50 amp extension from Camco and the damn thing is not flexible even in warm weather let alone if it was cold outside. I am VERY disappointed with it and will most likely try to sell it on Craigslist.

I would like one that is VERY flexible, soft and easy to coil up and uncoil just like my coach cable.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
My reason for asking is that I bought a 50 amp extension from Camco and the damn thing is not flexible even in warm weather let alone if it was cold outside. I am VERY disappointed with it and will most likely try to sell it on Craigslist.

I would like one that is VERY flexible, soft and easy to coil up and uncoil just like my coach cable.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Keep in mind that - I'm in Florida and it is more than warm weather!!!

If you want to wait a few days (I'm gone over the holiday) I'll try coiling the new one in the electrical bay and let you know how it compares.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
By the time you purchase the wire and the connectors, a cord from CW will be about the same price and will havd weatherproof moulded connectors.

Just my $.02 worth
I agree.
jgard489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Just a suggestion - Try to determine if the cord is rubber or thermoplastic. Thermoplastics are the least expensive insulations and are probably what came with your RV, but are stiff to roll, particularly in cold weather. Rubber cords are harder to find, but far more flexible (and more expensive). If you are buying raw cable, the initials may indicate the type of insulation - a "T" in the description indicates thermoplastic. Unless you make up your own cord by purchasing at a real electrical supplier, you may not have a choice, but I'd avoid thermoplastic.

Look for a SEOOW Extra heavy Duty or (SEJOOW) heavy duty cord for maximum flexibility. Another possibility is SOOW (SJOOW). It is worth going to a real electrical supplier and looking at samples since there is a difference in cold weather performance between manufacturers of cables even with the same ID code.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #25

Went out today, after the rain stopped, and coiled the new extension cord in the electrical bay. It is not quite as flexible but did coil nicely in the bay in pretty much the same diameter as the rubber cord. When pulled back out, it laid flat and straight. For info - it is 84 degrees out and no sun on the cord.

It is PVC versus the rubber of the coach cord. All the extension cords I looked at were PVC.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post

Went out today, after the rain stopped, and coiled the new extension cord in the electrical bay. It is not quite as flexible but did coil nicely in the bay in pretty much the same diameter as the rubber cord. When pulled back out, it laid flat and straight. For info - it is 84 degrees out and no sun on the cord.

It is PVC versus the rubber of the coach cord. All the extension cords I looked at were PVC.
Thanks, Peddler, for checking that out for me.

Since the one I got from Camco was stiff and hard to coil and uncoil, I am going to stick to rubber. More expensive, but easier to handle.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Tags
power