Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #1

Wanted 2005 Dolphin LX Front cap...

I just purchased this Dolphin and am in need of a front cap for it..
I'm aware National folded....but guessing someone has these caps still kicking around or even parting out a wrecked 1....
Also I see the hydraulic levellers pump up front took a bit of a crunch down on the reservoir... any help or direction would be awesome...
I will try to take lots of pics of the process and keep it posted..
I would post a pic now if only I could figure out how...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	237522  
Bowtie Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #2

I know that there are many RV salvage yards. Getting them to answer your calls or call you back with info is the hard part. Also, they often ask for what the manufacturers list price would be if they still made the part so be ready for sticker shock. Keep in mind that shipping will be a significant part of the expense so if you can drive to the yard, and either trailer it back or install it while near the yard, you'll save a bundle.

Anyway, here's a listing of RV salvage yards: RV Salvage & Surplus Yards - used RV Parts

Here's a fairly new listing: https://rtrvg.com/blog/2017/07/22/us...ards-by-state/

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to consider having the damaged parts repaired by a fiberglass shop that does fiberglass repair - either an automotive or marine shop could do the work. Fiberglass repair is relatively simple for the pros and I suspect it would be better than new. You might have to look around and find the "right" shop. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
You might want to consider having the damaged parts repaired by a fiberglass shop that does fiberglass repair - either an automotive or marine shop could do the work. Fiberglass repair is relatively simple for the pros and I suspect it would be better than new. You might have to look around and find the "right" shop. Good luck,
I had to search far and wide for a used front cap for my Monaco. Finally found one in Lancaster, CA. It cost $16,000 with shipping.

The shop that did the work estimated it would take 300 man hours to have their fiberglass man, who is real good, rebuild the front cap instead of replace it. That probably would have totalled the coach because the limit of liability on the Progressive policy of the woman who was at fault was $50,000.

We used every bit of that and it's still not quite fixed as good as new. The minimum liability required by Colorado law is only $15,000. Fortunately, she carried more than 3 times the minimum required.

Name:	IMG_20181130_161435859_BURST001.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	237549

Name:	IMG_20181004_131054254_HDR~2.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	237550

Name:	IMG_20181213_162209598.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	237551
They cut the top of the used cap off about halfway up the windshield and grafted the bottom to the top of the original cap. It turned out well.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 AM   #5

Grafting in front cap..

If I can't find 1 then I will do the same repair, graft in at same area..
I would do it myself, as I'm a old body man...
Be cool to see more pics of yours...
Last year I took rear cap completely off my '94 Safari...
As bought it smashed in, its now back on, but not yet painted...
But would rather find lower cap and graft in on lower windshield post...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2015 while sitting at an intersection waiting for traffic to clear, we had a driver t-bone an oncoming truck and both vehicles ended up in the front of our 2006 Sea Breeze. Rather than repair the fiberglass we had the front cap replaced. It was ordered from Ortega Manufacturing in Hemet, California. Cost for the cap was $5,900 and $2500 for shipping. Took about 6 weeks to get the new cap. There was some fitment issues that had to be worked out. The only problems I have had with it since the installation is the windshield, but I am pretty confident it was a problem with the dealer and the re-installation of it. Ortega must not be a very large company, was a bit of a pain getting a hold of them and then following up on the order. Colaw RV Salvage in Missouri has a fair selection of national parts.
rvmike1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

Yuh for that kind of money I will definitely be fiberglassing it..
I put a budget at a couple thou if I could locate 1....
My only real concern is having a 100% correct measurement for windshield area as there is no room for error there if you don't want repeated cracked windshields ... as I will graft just above bottom of window also...
I will check the used places soon as I can get out of my 12-14 hour days in my log truck... spring breakup is just around the corner..

Tags
dolphin, front cap