Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Wanting a smoother ride

Hello All, I'm considering installing Koni FSD on the front of my 2000 37G Adventurer and Firestone Ride-Rite on the rear. Just for discussion would it be better to install Koni's both front and rear or Ride-Rite both front and rear ??? or the comb I first stated. I'm trying to improve the hard ride of the Bilsteins especially the banging on bridge transitions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One vote for FSD for all...

Practically any new shock will soften the bridge "bump" as I call it. You apparently are considering a "tuning" improvement; for which I have not tried.

Not familiar with Firestone Ride Right's but have renewed all of mine to Koni FSD with great results.

One design feature of FSD I like is the damping of the "rhythmetic" roadway joints on concrete roadways. The plop-plop sound is still there; but no longer felt inside the coach. For example: A Destin,Florida East Bay eastern bridge approach road which had tremendous cupping that made the coach bounce like riding a "bronking buck".... has been smoothed out to a gentle lift-and-settle wave that formerly would have been felt like three "bam-bam-bam's" bottoming-outs at 50 mph. This 3-to-1 bounce ratio is relative; but you get the idea I'm trying to convey.

I too, thought of a different rear shock; but decided the frequency damping too important a feature to go FSD for an all-around replacements. Glad I did it, especially when passenger wants a little shut eye in the rear while I drive.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe its just me but I put Koni's and air bags all around on the 2002 Winnie Brave that I had an it didn't seem to help any.

I don't suggest it but I traded for a DP just because ot the harsh ride on the Ford chassis. Wife got to where she didn't want to ride in it.

I hope you have better luck.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Winnie 2000,
I have Koni's all around on my coach and am very pleased. Something to consider is I have never read a post where somebody had something bad to say about Koni shocks.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #5

Full Koni FSD's here too worth every penny and they are a lot of penny's.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

Another vote for the Konis. We too had the porpoising effect after bridge and road section expansion joints. We still get the initial heave but the Konis sure took most of the extended bouncing out of the equation. Another thing that will minimize the porpoising is to keep as much weight out of the ends of the MH as possible.

We had the original Bilsteins on our coach as well and the new Konis were a great help in solving our harsh ride. Another possible cause is using more tire pressure than required for your particular weight. It's a good idea to weigh all four corners to get the correct tire pressure for the weight you normally carry. This will prevent over inflating your tires and cut down on some ride harshness. Tire manufacturer's pressure charts will be your guide for the proper pressures.

We also installed a BlueOx TigerTrax rear stabilizer for the 'gasser tail wag'. Our unit now handles very well and we think these upgrades were well worth the $$s. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie 2000 View Post
Hello All, I'm considering installing Koni FSD on the front of my 2000 37G Adventurer and Firestone Ride-Rite on the rear. Just for discussion would it be better to install Koni's both front and rear or Ride-Rite both front and rear ??? or the comb I first stated. I'm trying to improve the hard ride of the Bilsteins especially the banging on bridge transitions.
Hi Peter,
I was in the same spot as you, trying to decide what would help the most by reading through as many threads as I could on the subject. My main concerns were, bone jarring suspension on freeway expansion joints and rail road crossings, also excessive sway on uneven road surfaces.
I did exactly as you stated, installed front FSD's and rear Ride-Rite air bags.
Keep in mind to get the smoothest ride from the F53 chassis, load the front suspension as close to max GAWR as possible. I have my front axle loaded right at the max GAWR. I would say you could improve ride quality more then 90% just by replacing the front FSD's and loading the front axle. The rear air bags seemed to help more with sway then ride smoothness. I also found my rear sway bar bushings were beyond worn out. They were quite literally gone. I installed rear poly sway bar bushings along with the rear air bags and I now have a rock steady ride and a very smooth ride sitting over the front axle.
I would recommend rear air bags if you need to restore the rear ride height or need to stiffen the rear suspension. I left the OEM shocks on the rear and it rides very well, however, rear FSD's are not available for my year chassis. If they were I already would have replaced the stockers with them.
Hope this helps,
Good Luck

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Softer ride

Hi Winnie 2000, I have Koni's on my 38J 2005 Adventurer with W24 Chassis and it rides great with Koni front and rear, no banging.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a servie mgr. for a large motorhome dealer, i was involved with many ride rite airbag intallations. I always recommended these for the ford F53 with the slat spring suspension. Every customer i had, was happy with ride improvement. The biggest improvement, was on the front. For best ride feel, keep the air press. low 24 psi.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Hi Peter,
I was in the same spot as you, trying to decide what would help the most by reading through as many threads as I could on the subject. My main concerns were, bone jarring suspension on freeway expansion joints and rail road crossings, also excessive sway on uneven road surfaces.
I did exactly as you stated, installed front FSD's and rear Ride-Rite air bags.
Keep in mind to get the smoothest ride from the F53 chassis, load the front suspension as close to max GAWR as possible. I have my front axle loaded right at the max GAWR. I would say you could improve ride quality more then 90% just by replacing the front FSD's and loading the front axle. The rear air bags seemed to help more with sway then ride smoothness. I also found my rear sway bar bushings were beyond worn out. They were quite literally gone. I installed rear poly sway bar bushings along with the rear air bags and I now have a rock steady ride and a very smooth ride sitting over the front axle.
I would recommend rear air bags if you need to restore the rear ride height or need to stiffen the rear suspension. I left the OEM shocks on the rear and it rides very well, however, rear FSD's are not available for my year chassis. If they were I already would have replaced the stockers with them.
Hope this helps,
Good Luck
I am still 1500' short of max weight on front axel. I can not figure out anyway or space to load more weight. How and what do you have in the front to get max weight?

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I am still 1500' short of max weight on front axel. I can not figure out anyway or space to load more weight. How and what do you have in the front to get max weight?
My f53 is older then yours, so probably a little easier for me to load the front axle. My max front GAWR is 6,000 lbs. Yours is probably at least 7,000. All my batteries are in front of the engine. I pack as many heavy basement items ahead of the rear axle as possible. Keep any forward tanks such as propane as full as possible. When weighing, make sure all cargo, passengers and driver are inside. That and the front Koni's will make a world of difference in ride quality.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you spend any money weigh your rig and set the tire pressure to the EXACT pressure recommended by the tire maker on their web site. Then drive the rig over the same places that you are concerned about.
I've set my tires to the recommendation plus 5 lb. The dealer had them set 20lb over and it rode very harsh.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #13

Hi Peter, like most others I'm a big fan of the Koni FSD shocks, we have them on the front of our 2000 f53 chassis and the Koni adjustable shocks on rear (the FSD's were not available when rear shocks replaced).

Sept 2010 I had the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags installed front and rear. Running 60psi in rear and 25psi in front, the ride comfort was further enhanced. Highly recommend the FSD's, I would start with them, and see if they provide the ride you want before spending additional monies on other suspension enhancements.

Best of luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Hi Peter, like most others I'm a big fan of the Koni FSD shocks, we have them on the front of our 2000 f53 chassis and the Koni adjustable shocks on rear (the FSD's were not available when rear shocks replaced).

Sept 2010 I had the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags installed front and rear. Running 60psi in rear and 25psi in front, the ride comfort was further enhanced. Highly recommend the FSD's, I would start with them, and see if they provide the ride you want before spending additional monies on other suspension enhancements.

Best of luck
I have FSD's front and rear not much difference in the jolts. I have tried high psi and low psi on tires. Really not much difference. I am concerned about loading to much weight on the slide storage in order to reach max weight.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote