Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sorry don't remember which one). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Newmar's 2008 GRAND STAR(only)has FRED as an option to the standard W-24 chassis from Workhorse. ED

2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #16
I was getting 5.8 MPG in my 33' Chieftain workhorse. I'm trying to decide if the extra cost is worth going the diesel route next time. I will be buying new in the next few months. From what I gather, durability, fuel economy, towing and driving power all are bettre in a diesel. Also as of today, diesel is about 10 cents cheaper per gallon. Is this worth spending 8o grand more? (Oh- it looks MUCH cooler also.)

"Life's a journey, not a destination"
TCayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this worth spending 80 grand more? (Oh- it looks MUCH cooler also.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cooler look is what's important.

Seriously, don't expect a great fuel savings, as the diesels weigh so much more than the gassers. You can buy a LOT of gas for 80K.

The diesel pushers have more room, more storage room, greater CCC, greater towing capacity, greater durability, more power, more amenities, etc, and of course the higher price.

Only you can decide whether the diesel pusher is worth it. Many of us have.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
With our 40' coach with the CAT C7 we are averaging appox 8 mpg at the present time, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more depending on hills and my lead foot.

It weights a little over 35k with the toad, a Ford Explorer.

We like you moved from a 36' fiver towed by a Ford diesel pickup to a DP MH in August 2002 after 14 months of deciding and looking.

Would I ever go back to a 5er?? Yes, we would, the 5er is better suited when sitting for months at a time at one site, but the MH is much better traveling down the road. Also, The MH is more comfortable when sitting in the driver's seat and the air ride is very accomadating.

The Ford Explorer gets fair MPG, not as good as a small car, but I don't like cars so it has to do.

Gulf Stream RV Owners Forum www.gsowners.com

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Trade up to a pusher if you like but certainly do not put out of your mind the possibilities for other products.

<span class="ev_code_RED">The Workhorse UFO - "The First of Its Kind"</span>

For more information click on the LINK.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #20
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this worth spending 80 grand more? (Oh- it looks MUCH cooler also.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously, don't expect a great fuel savings, as the diesels weigh so much more than the gassers. You can buy a LOT of gas for 80K.

The diesel pushers have more room, more storage room, greater CCC, greater towing capacity, greater durability, more power, more amenities, etc, and of course the higher price.

Only you can decide whether the diesel pusher is worth it. Many of us have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never owned a diesel pusher (but would if I could) but agree with your response about not much in the way of fuel savings. My 34' gas engine MH averages around 7 mpg on the highway, sometimes hitting 7.5 or so. It doesn't seem like the typical diesel consistently does a whole lot better. (For diesel owners, please note that I said a whole lot better. Yes, I note that people have posted higher mpg but it usually isn't half again, or double, my mileage. And because diesels are usually bigger and more luxurious, they cost a lot more.)

Let's face it; we don't buy RV's because they get good fuel economy. We buy them for traveling and a certain lifestyle. Some brands do get a little better fuel economy than others, but the main thing I would focus on is the size and features of the MH, towing capacity if needed, and manufacturer's quality. I'd gladly give up a little fuel economy for better quality any day... most of us don't drive these to make a living, so we don't drive them anywhere near enough to have a huge disparity in fuel costs at the end of the year.

Some day I hope to own a diesel pusher, but it won't be because of the issue of fuel mileage.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #21
Hey, We have a Newmar Kountrystar diesel 36 footer and it gets 11 to the gallon. it has only 12,000 miles, it is an "06. It is under consignment at Findlay rv in Vegas. My husband hates the life, and am i sorry.....mrs...
newmar kountrystar friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

The biggest detractor to fuel economy is vehicle speed. If a few MPG is important you can drop the speed. At highway speeds every 10 MPH is said to affect mileage by 1 MPG. I've found that my 400 ISL pulling a 44,600 GVW coach with a 4,660 lb Grand Cherokee will get 8 MPG if I drive 55 but if I drive 75 it'll only get about 6.

There are other options that are more fuel efficient. Being more familiar with Tiffin, I'll relate to them but I'm sure there are similar examples in other brands.

In 007 Tiffin offered the Mercedes MBE926 engine in it's Phaeton, which is a diesel pusher. Previously it was only available with a Cat C7. The MBE buyers were ecstatic with their new engines. Lots more pep and the typical 8 MPG Cat mileage jumped up to 11 MPG with the MBE. Unfortunately, in 2008 Freightliner has stopped using the MBE926 in their RV chassis. It appears that there are concerns as to meeting emmisions requirements. In 2008 Freightliner only offers the Cummins 360 HP ISC engine (not that that's a bad choice either . I'm sure that once the MBE emmissions get legal they'll offer the MBE again - most likely in the 2009 model year.

Freightliner also makes the FRED chassis. The FRED is a Freightliner FRont Engine Diesel chassis. For more info on it check out the following link in the RV Tech Library - FRED Chassis Overview.

Tiffin has been selling tons of FREDs in the Allegro Bay line and as of 2007 are also offering it in their entry level Allegro line. This means that the end user can get a diesel engine in a class A RV for just under $100,000.

With the FRED you do get a diesel, complete with it's benefits of extra power (torque) and fuel economy (11-12 MPG is reported by most). But, it's still a gasser style chassis. It has leaf springs, straight frame rails, front engine, etc. A diesel pusher offers air ride suspension, a large pass-through basement storage area due to raised rail construction, and a rear engine layout which is really quiet. They also cost more.

They all have their pros and cons. If you are full-timing you'll probably spend more time sitting than driving so it may be more important to have the cargo capacity, storage room, etc than fuel economy. These are all considerations you'll have to make and everyone's thoughts and needs are different.

Good luck with your choice.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #23
We went from a Ford E350 powerstroke pulling a 33' travel trailer to a 40 1997 Country COach. I would never go back. The MH is sooo much nicer for travel. CHecked the mileage on one trip 2200 miles, level ground in the midwest, no toad, most generator running the AC. Got 9.5 mpg.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue

Dog show home of Firesteel Gordon Setters.
Gsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #24
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Carl,
To answer your question, I travel 60-62 MPH, get 7.5 MPG and my signature gives you all the details on what we use and how much it all weighs. MPG is about the same for a diesel as a gas, but with a diesel one can haul a lot more weight for about the same fuel MPG. Weight should translate to features, functions, creature comforts and stuff. It goes back to how are you going to use the coach, not MPG. Buy the floor plan and coach capabilities that meet your requirements. Then you will be happy and not even remember the MPG.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote