Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Good job. Thanks for posting. You can never be too careful.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
"You agree to buy the RV, the seller confirms and you have 24-48 hours to do a wire transfer. They then deliver the RV up to 1000 miles free."

DING, DING, DING......
Money wire transferred and THEN they deliver........HA!

Exactly what I was thinking, Old-Biscuit. Near 100% that anytime you have to wire money first it is a scam. Good detective work on the part of the OP. "If it sounds too good to be true . . . ."
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #17

Craigslist is full of automobile scams, not surprising they are taking it to another level with RVs. I just helped a young guy avoid one on a car just a week ago. Undoubtedly if the deal is too good to be true, it's really too good to be true. They under price it enough to make you want to jump at it quick but craigs list has no real security measures concerning id unlike say ebay and paypal. This makes craigs list is an ideal breeding ground for all kinds of scams.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you can't , see it / drive it , don't open your wallet ! AMEN
Exactly. And I pick it up rather than delivery.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stay off of Craigslist. Nothing but scammers and idiots on there.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #20

Also saw it on a Facebook page same thing but you could by through PayPal
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #21

Scammers, aka dirty rotten thieves, hang out on YouTube also. I had been negotiating for several months with the RV dealer who owned our present coach. He wasn't coming down to my offer so I kept looking on eBay, all the Craigslists west of the Mississippi and the sites dedicated to selling RVs.
One day I ran across a 3+ minute video on YouTube of a coach for sale that looked very familiar. It was the coach I had been trying to buy for months. The price had apparently been dropped from the mid $80s to an astonishingly low $5,000. Unfortunately, the person advertising it for sale was not the owner. Flags don't get any redder than that.
I notified YouTube and the dealer of the fraud. I got no reply from YouTube who left the video on their site long after the dealer finally accepted my offer and I became the new owner. I did do two different title searches before handing over the money.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #22

There's also a current thing going on about nice street rods for sale ......cheap!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I've run into a similar (scam) twice lately. One was a motorhome priced lower than NADA, the other was a Golf Cart (priced less than it should have been).

Calling and emailing the sellers I found similar stories - some tragic event (spouse died, etc.) where seller just couldn't stand having the thing around any more reminding of spouse. So just want it sold.

When I asked to arrange to see it - the story then starts to smell of scam. Vehicle is being sold on EBay or similar out of area location (so now price is not firm anymore. Have to bid on it now), then low bidder sends the funds first and has X days to inspect and gets a full refund if not satisfied.

At that point - I just move on...
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #24

Everyone considering buying a VEHICLE on eBay should be aware you do NOT have to go through with the purchase if you are the winning bidder and you discover it does not meet your expectations upon inspection.
I bought a Safari Cheetah on eBay once, flew out to inspect it and found it was in sorry condition. Flew back home without it but learned a valuable and relatively inexpensive lesson.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #25

I recently ran across a local Craigslist ad for a 2007 Newmar 40ft for $30,000 and amazing it was in my neighborhood. One of the first things that was wrong was the great pictures of the rig with mountains in the background! Now Grand Rapids, MI is not known for mountains. I then googled the make and model and looked for pictures and I found the same pictures on a reputable dealers website! Obviously the rig was a scam but I like to terrorize them, so I CALLED the number and guess what, a TEXT ONLY number, no voice. I then reported it to Craigslist and in a day or so the ad disappeared!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #26

I've seen a number of these types of ads on Craigslist. Usually there are only 2 or 3 pictures and almost no written description. Also, the price is ridiculously low. If you're sure it's a scam, you can click the "prohibited" link near the top of the ad. If enough people do that, Craigslist will take down the ad.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #27

I go to Craigslist just about every day nosing around. Just bought a TOAD tow kit yesterday from a local via Craigslist. Now looking for the car to tow

Every time I am on CG, I end up deleting a half a dozen scams. They are obvious for those that are a little savvy.

Keys: email address in the picture and no Craigslist reply to info. Thats' trying to get around CG's security measures. Delete.

Price is much lower than realistic. and the price is an odd ball number like "$2436" Delete.

Right click on the picture and do a Google Image search finds it on a classified in a diff state for three times the amount. Delete.

Anyway, that's the bad side. The good side is I have sold a lot of stuff on CG and bought a lot of stuff on CG. Not one bad transaction so far. Might be where I live but all have been good people, even if the towns were a little sketchy. Call it lucky.
Probably just goes with the odds that 99% of people are OK.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #28

Hey! I resemble that.