RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Question Warning letter from Calif. Air Resource Board !!!

I just received a certified letter from CARB (Ca.AirResourceBoard) stating that my 2002 Holiday Rambler (330 cummins) will, effective 1/1/2020, no longer comply with Ca. air quality regulations, and that I will automatically be denied future registration and non compliance can result in civil monetary penalties. They give options to comply, which include repowering with 2010 or newer engine. They reference my vin & make description as 'ROAR'

A couple months back I had called the CARB hotline, at which time I was informed that 'motorhomes were exempt' from these new regulations. In addition, the warning notiece letter references the Regulations title 13, section 2025, and on the 2nd page it clearly states that motorhomes for private use are exempt.

I suspect 'someone' did not connect the dots to see that a 'ROAR' make is in fact a motorhome.

Has anyone else from Calif. experienced this ? I can imagine that trying to straighten this one out with both the CARB and DMV will be a major headache

Thx in advance for any comments & suggestions

Wuzaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It should not be a big problem. Those letters should have only gone out to vehicles with commercial registration. The bus company that I work for have ten buses that we have to upgrade or sell off.
J

GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
NXR

What does your title show? The final motorhome or just the chassis?

Ray
Old 10-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #4

"......the warning notiece letter references the Regulations title 13, section 2025, and on the 2nd page it clearly states that motorhomes for private use are exempt."

Make a copy of that Reg with the MH exempt statement highlighed/circled and send it along with the copy of CARB Letter back to CARB Address and then them they need to reevaluate and send you a confirmation letter that your MH is Exempt and registrations will be vaild
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Good luck, i couldn't renew the registration on a Toyota pickup because there was a recall for the heater blower motor of which they assumed was emission related. Without a doubt the most inept government agency in existence.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzaboater View Post
I just received a certified letter from CARB (Ca.AirResourceBoard) stating that my 2002 Holiday Rambler (330 cummins) will, effective 1/1/2020, no longer comply with Ca. air quality regulations, and that I will automatically be denied future registration and non compliance can result in civil monetary penalties. They give options to comply, which include repowering with 2010 or newer engine. They reference my vin & make description as 'ROAR'

A couple months back I had called the CARB hotline, at which time I was informed that 'motorhomes were exempt' from these new regulations. In addition, the warning notiece letter references the Regulations title 13, section 2025, and on the 2nd page it clearly states that motorhomes for private use are exempt.

I suspect 'someone' did not connect the dots to see that a 'ROAR' make is in fact a motorhome.

Has anyone else from Calif. experienced this ? I can imagine that trying to straighten this one out with both the CARB and DMV will be a major headache

My son is a BAR (Bureau Of Automotive Repair Agent and yes, CA is wandering towards new compliance specs of diesel engines. I read the inter-office mail about such and, again, it's primarily for diesels UNDER 14,000 GVWR and, various commercial operations. There was, in that letter, no mention of exemption for what's been exempt up to the implementation of the new specs.

Now, this is just a suggestion. No one in their right mind, want's to visit a California DMV but, if I were you, I'd make an appointment with your local DMV office and, if you have to, ask for an administrator right when you get to the clerks window. No sense in explaining that CA's head is up it's …. and needs to be straightened out, to anyone that is way below the pay grade of understanding what you're trying to get across. If you nip this in the bud, waaaaaaaaaay before any so-called time frames are up, I think you'll be way ahead of the game.

As others have stated, I do think your letter was sent out to YOU by mistake. Otherwise, we'd be reading every other post/thread about letters being sent to all CA residents with a diesel motorhome.
Scott

P.S. Below is part of the original letter pertaining to diesel smog and exemptions. I think it's item #10, about motorhomes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TBFinalReg.pdf motor home exemption from smog.pdf (266.5 KB, 1 views)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think some of these regulations have come about because of a practice being done on over the road diesel tractors. Truckers are ordering new trucks minus an engine. Then modification companies are installing older rebuilt pre emission engines in them. The complexity and lower reliability of the newer emission controlled engines is the reason. They have been using a loop hole in the law until now. But States are starting to catch on.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In 2006, we moved from Florida to California as my wife was under a new contract at a California hospital. When we got to the California DMV, they wanted several thousand dollars in taxes because we had purchased our RV in Florida shortly before moving to California. I never did quite understand, but it was something to the effect that if the RV had been purchased within so many months, even out of state, the California government still hit you with a sales tax or something like that. I wanted to turn around then and there and head back to Florida but, as I said, my wife was under contract.
Further, it took a total of 5 trips to the DMV and a whole lot of arguing to the point that they had a security guard stand beside me on the fifth meeting because I was starting to lose it. This argument was because, although Visa is accepted worldwide, the DMV noticed that the Visa was issued by an American bank that was also affiliated with a Canadian bank. The Visa had both an American and a Canadian flag on it. As soon as they saw the Canadian flag they refused to accept the Visa because they said it was a foreign credit card. Finally, they made a phone call to someone “upstairs” and said they really shouldn’t take the Visa but would make an exception just this once.
Three years later we moved back to Florida. One trip and about 15 minutes at the Florida DMV and all three vehicles were registered.
FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Going to be a lot of commercial truck owners upset when they are turned around at the border when their truck won'y pass emissions.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I think some of these regulations have come about because of a practice being done on over the road diesel tractors. Truckers are ordering new trucks minus an engine. Then modification companies are installing older rebuilt pre emission engines in them. The complexity and lower reliability of the newer emission controlled engines is the reason. They have been using a loop hole in the law until now. But States are starting to catch on.
Those trucks are called "gliders".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Going to be a lot of commercial truck owners upset when they are turned around at the border when their truck won'y pass emissions.
I don't think they'll get turned around at the border...they just can't be registered here.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #12

Glad I read this tonight....always wanted to take a different route home from Yuma!......
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzaboater View Post

President Trump signed an executive order to stop California from setting it's own motor vehicle emission laws. California's emission laws must be standardized so auto makers aren't forced to make 2 different types of vehicles. Of course this will be fought out in court so who knows what will happen.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
You mean to tell me that, trucks like Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt etc. will actually build a brand new truck, supply warranty, WITHOUT AN ENGINE? And, the U.S,. Government is allowing OLDER engines to be installed? Wow. In this time of emission systems making engines cleaner and cleaner, there are BRAND NEW TRUCKS running down the road with OLDER engines in them? Hmmmm.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air