Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Warranty: I'm in the middle = HELP!

We bought brand new (2014) Itasca Sunstar last month. On the final walk-thru (there's soooooo much to look at on a Class A) we missed the fact that there was a small tear in the awning. Those things are REALLY expensive!
Our dealer is trying to get Winnebago to send a new one. Winnebago says "fix it". We're in the middle, but as far as I'm concerned - I bought a new unit and EXPECT everything to be new, not just repaired (where it will surely fail the day after the Warranty runs out).
How does this stuff work? Should I retain a lawyer, just in case......? (that would be a new adventure for us, too)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Stick to your guns-so to speak. Many folks have success resolving disputes by mailing your typed complaint to: MotorHome magazine Hot Line, 2750 Park View Court, Suite 240, Oxnard, CA 93036( enclose copies of all relevant documents to substantiate your complaint) I doubt your dealer will offer copies of their correspondence, but it can't hurt to ask.
Good Sam magazine used to have the same complaint resolution hotline, but has now quasi-merged with MotorHome magazine.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

where is the tear? does it look like a manufacturer defect.... I would keep pressure on both sides.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
where is the tear? does it look like a manufacturer defect.... I would keep pressure on both sides.
After the awning is extended it's at the top of the awning, where it attaches to the......? I really can't if it's a manufacturer defect or not as it's beyond my reach. Nor would I know even if I could see it. It's about 3"'s long. The dealer agrees that "W" should supply a new one and have indicated they will attempt to get "W" to send a new one as they agree it will be nothing but trouble in the years to come if they attempt to repair it.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago is (probably rightly) going to claim it was ok when it left the factory, and they probably have an inspection report to "prove" it. That means either the delivery driver or the dealer is responsible for the tear and its repair or replacement. After all, it's a 2014 and left the factory long ago, even if "new". Obviously the dealer would rather not have to pay, so he is trying to point you back at "W". You, of course, are entitled to get what you paid for, so your position is pretty simple unless the dealer starts claiming YOU damaged it after delivery.

I'm not convinced that a 3" tear is a future nightmare, but it's a shame to have a "new" coach with a flaw. They have clear sealer tape that would probably work just fine, so at the end of the day it's going to be your decision whether to accept a repair rather than a replacement.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm not convinced that a 3" tear is a future nightmare, but it's a shame to have a "new" coach with a flaw. They have clear sealer tape that would probably work just fine, so at the end of the day it's going to be your decision whether to accept a repair rather than a replacement.
Ooops, I *think* I left out a salient point. That being that they weren't clear as to whether it's a "tear" or somehow managed to pull away from top insert where it goes in to the the awning frame (I'm not a mechanic so I'm probably not explaining this very well). I *think* it's the latter part as the dealer said it can't be fixed.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the dealer says it cannot be fixed then there is the answer. You bought it from the dealer not from the manufacturer. You tell the dealer to either replace it or go file a claim in small claims court. It is up to the dealer to get paid by the manufacturer if it comes to that.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #8

Sorry for your trouble stick to your guns its a dealer issue. As for retaining a lawyer, it will cost you a whole lot more than a awning fabric.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Huh? Winnebago gave in on the 2nd try. New awning on its' way.
Maybe our bathtub is facing the right direction after all?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it was resolved in your favor!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooky View Post
Huh? Winnebago gave in on the 2nd try. New awning on its' way.
Maybe our bathtub is facing the right direction after all?

Winnebago has great day customer service, even though this was likely not their fault.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Winnebago customer service

Glad it worked out for you. Not impressed with Winnebago customer service myself. We bought an essentially new (previous owner drove it once, literally!) older unit. Second time we took it out, when I opened the overhead cabinet door in bedroom, the door literally fell on my head! They used #6 screws instead of #8, so the screw heads actually slipped through the holes in the hinge plate. On vertical doors, the top of the hinge narrows and holds onto the screw head okay (still should be #8, though). But the pressure against the horizontally opening doors allows the screws to simply fall through the hole in the hinge bracket.

My request to Winnebago was simple: have someone replace the screws with properly sized ones (it is not easy to work on an overhead door, holding it up and working the electric drill at the same time). They said nope, coach is out of warranty. True enough, and they were well within their right to say that. But they lost a fabulous opportunity to exhibit exceptional customer service and build loyalty and goodwill in a customer for very little expense on their part. When Honda replaced our defective transmission even though it was beyond the technical mileage of the recall, they made us lifetime Honda customers and also sold cars to many of our friends who heard the story.

I make my living in retail sales and have learned the high worth of losing the occasional $1 to gain several hundred $$ in future transactions with a happy customer.