Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Warranty turnaround time.

I posted this once before, but I probably did not put it in the best location to get replies. My Question is what do most of you find is the length of time it takes to get something fixed using a warranty. My reason for asking the question is that if I am on a trip and my (what ever goes out ) am I going to stay in one place long enough to go through the process to get it fixed or just purchase a new on and be on my way. My thinking is I would want my engine and tranny covered as they are a big ticket item, but as for things like air conditioners and fridges would I stop my vacation and sit long enough to get it fixed.
So how long does it take to get something fixed?

Mr. Moderator if this is not in the right place feel free to move it where ever you think it should go.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Factory warranty issues have always taken me the most time. Like one or two weeks for fairly significant issues like, slide out failures and levelers. Around a week for minor fit and finish matters. Have used extended warranty for several really major issues. The "long pole in the tent" was always getting replacement parts from manufacturer. That is probably constant on either type of warranty. Actual time added due to being under warranty has been 2-3 working days for factory and 1-2 days for extended. This was for approval to do/pay for repairs.

2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On mine, from when it is called in, they have 48 hours to send an inspector. After that, it is whatever the shop schedule and parts availability is. But, no parts can be ordered until it is inspected.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the warranty status has a material effect on service times. Yeah, any warranty requires an approval from the company, but that's usually just a phone call. They do have the right to request an inspection or other evidence of actual failure, but even that is usually limited (48 hours is the typical max delay).

All this is insignificant if the shop is backed up 2-3 weeks, which is typical for an RV dealer or shop in the busy travel season.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The answer is, "it depends." If the service department is backed up as they typically are during peak season, it can take weeks or months to get service completed, whether warrantied or not.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the input, I think I am leaning in the direction of not getting a warranty as I would not want to wait for the process to take place. I think I would end up just going and picking up a new A/C, fridge or what ever and putting it in my self, as to waiting for someone else. But then you have to think about the big ticket items like engine and trans and is it worth it to have coverage for those item. Replacing a diesel C-12 eng and a Allison 4000 6 speed would not be cheap. Back on the fence post .
Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I used my previous extended warranty a dozen times and only once had to wait 48 hours for an inspection report (it was favorable). There was one other case where I opted to fix a damaged component rather than wait & gamble that the inspector would agree to a total replacement. The shop had a lot of experience with warranty work and said 50/50 odds... Everything else just took a phone call and had approval in a few minutes.

That said, I did not buy a new extended warranty when the original 5 year plan expired.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

We have a American Guardian after market warranty and to date the turnaround has been immediate. That being said we have used it three times over the course of the last two months at three different diesel shops while traveling trying to resolve problems from getting bad fuel. Each time all the shop had to do was call customer service, report the problem, fax the invoice and within 20 minutes they faxed back a visa number to change against. I am very pleased so far with the customer service Guardian has provided. This is the first time we purchased a warranty and the only reason we did it was because this this unit is a diesel and the repair expenses are a more costly.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Aside from getting an appointment for shop work, I have found my Extended Service Warrantee company has been very quick in approving work except for what we had happen last week. We are at the Spartan factory and it took 2 days for the inspector to get there. In our case that wasn't a big deal because we had enough stuff being done to keep the tech busy until we got the OK to do the warrantee work which included some heavy duty stuff like replacing my tag axle inner wheel seals.

BTW...the ESW covered everything we expected was under the warrantee if there was a total failure. HOWEVER...It is always a bit dicey if they will cover an item where there is a lot of wear but not a failure. As an example our airbags over the drive axle have a lot of checks but hadn't failed yet. also the tag wheel inner seals were "weeping" but had not given out. The ESW covered both items! We also had a few other items covered that had clearly failed.

On top of that we have a front engine plate seal that has some minor seepage so we will need to take it to a Cummins service center. Since we had that identified in the same complaint sheet it will be covered under the same $200 deductible per "event" that the other stuff is covered under.